A Bho Nearly Drove Me Mad

PITA

I'm pretty good about using various free tools to keep my PC clean, prevent and remove malware. Then about a week ago, after some younger kinfolk used it I found it infected with mysearchdial. As one who uses Opera almost exclusively for years there was pitiful little info on ridding it from that browser.

I did everything I knew and and had actually cleaned it out of all my browsers except Opera. It was driving me mad, but a friend that's an expert remotely looked it over and the only thing I'd forgot to check was my homepage setting. A little embarrassing, but finally got that pos out of my PC as well as my nightmares. Saying it's a beyatch is not giving it enough credit.

Just be careful and don't make the mistake of letting kids play on your PC. It can end up driving you mad trying to clean up afterwards.

Related to kids and PCs. In my family room I have a PC with two partitions. First partition hosts the OS and is locked with Kiosk software ("faronics deep freeze" if your interested). Second partition is left open for saving files and such. This computer has been alive forever and is just as fast as the day as it was first installed. I have personally downloaded several viruses by accident. Just reboot. Everything goes back to normal and no scanning for viruses or updating virus definitions or spyware and blah. It's a little aggravating getting your settings the way you want it but once you do. Freeze it. Done.

You get used to not saving things to C: (locked partition) and saving to D: instead. It adds extra steps to Installing new software but I am good with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the suggestion, I know what you mean by one being alive forever. I'm not looking forward to swapping to 7, even though I needed to long ago, but with XP losing updates this coming April we XP lovers aren't going to have new holes found and closed in the very near future.

I'll have to try the software you talked about, until then I try to keep my Admin account closed by a PW the kids don't know to try and keep that mistake from happening most of the time. Just took one instance of forgetting that to remind me of the dangers of leaving it running.

So thanks for the idea, and a chance to remind people about XP updates ending soon.

-P

I had a friend who is a professional remotely look it over and it's been cleaned squeaky clean.

The only problem I had was finding instructions on removing it from Opera, he checked my HJT logs before even beginning to look for the Opera problem. It was a little embarrassing but I'd overlooked my homepage setting. One reason being I never thought of the speed dial as a homepage, plus I thought I'd made sure my HP settings couldn't be changed. But that was the only stone I'd left unturned apparently.

Things are working fine now, and have been since he found the last remnant left in my homepage settings. 

Thanks for the suggestion though, it's much appreciated.

-P

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back