A popular ADHD pill is in short supply,

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Read the CBSNEWS article here: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20061852-10391704.html

Read the CBSNEWS article here: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20061852-10391704.html
That's bad news. I hope Shire gets its act together soon. They've pushed this pills on little kids for decades. /default_angry.png Kids who are now adults and depend on it.

Shire pharmaceuticals is the reason too. They want to get everyone on their Vyvance. If you do a little research, you will be sickened by what you find regarding this, along with Teva/Barr and Dextrostat. I'm surprized Teva doesn't own Shire by now, or maybe they do for all I know. Regardless, it's all about $$$$ and greed!

You might find this interesting also: Shire (of course) developed and makes the brand name Adderall. Duramed is licensed to make the brand name also (however that works?) - and they do. Duramed is owned by Barr. Barr makes generic Aderrall. Barr is a Subsidiary of Teva. Therefore, essentially, Teva manufactures both brand name and generic Adderall. Seems like a conflict of interest somewhere in there. Not to mention, when Barr aquired Duramed, in the interest of efficiency and saving money, I very seriously doubt they actually still manufacture two distinct versions of this medication just to have a Brand and a Generic. My bet is they are one in the same... except for price.

All just my opinion of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - somehow I duplicated that post above. Since I couldn't delete it I just replaced it with an explanation. :(

350, I agree.I have never ever had less than the same results generic vs pretty packaged soooooothing toned commercialized BRAND NAME packaging.

It is the exact same marketing approach for something as mundane as cigars. Same stick in a different box with a different PRETTY cigar label.

Roller do not know what they are rolling. Finer line cigars are often same tobacco guts with a different binder & different wrapper. BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Niche marketing is the marketing plan. I doubt seriously the start up cost of approving two different formulations went into the product life planning. Regulatory apparatus would add the expense that the two formulations legally required 2 rigorous, "to the extent of THE ABSURD" required for USDA approval. That includes the manufacturing equipment etc etc!!!

Only difference is probable the stamp, color and shape of the cap or tablet and the packaging it comes in which generic isn't charging for those insipid commercials 7 pretty pkging.

With the start up cost involved for two distinct formulations, added to the reality of the generic brand market,it only makes good business sense to sell to every aspect of the planned market diagnosed demographic decided before they even make the first move!

Same stuff different suit!!!

350, I agree.I have never ever had less than the same results generic vs pretty packaged soooooothing toned commercialized BRAND NAME packaging.

It is the exact same marketing approach for something as mundane as cigars. Same stick in a different box with a different PRETTY cigar label.

Roller do not know what they are rolling. Finer line cigars are often same tobacco guts with a different binder & different wrapper. BIG $$$.

Niche marketing is the marketing plan. I doubt seriously the start up cost of approving two different formulations went into the product life planning. Regulatory apparatus would add the expense that the two formulations legally required 2 rigorous, "to the extent of THE ABSURD" required for USDA approval. That includes the manufacturing equipment etc etc!!!

Only difference is probable the stamp, color and shape of the cap or tablet and the packaging it comes in which generic isn't charging for those insipid commercials 7 pretty pkging.

With the start up cost involved for two distinct formulations, added to the reality of the generic brand market,it only makes good business sense to sell to every aspect of the planned market diagnosed demographic decided before they even make the first move!

Same stuff different suit!!!
If ever the truth were told- That's it... and our government won't do a d@mn thing about it even though there is a HUGE conflict of interest (in business terms). I do believe it breaks more than one rule too! But second maybe only to OPEC, Big Pharma runs everything including our so called government. IMHO. Not to mention, shouldn't TEVA qualify as a "monopoly" by now?

Sorry. Seems I've double posted while ediding :(

Here is a press release confirming that SHIRE is still alive and well on its own :

Philadelphia, PA – December 2, 2009 – Shire plc (LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPGY), the global specialty biopharmaceutical company, announces that it has settled the litigation with Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. (“Tevaâ€) over Shire’s supply to Teva of an authorized generic version of ADDERALL XR. Shire has been supplying Teva with authorized generic ADDERALL XR since April 1, 2009.

Shire’s ability to supply the product had been limited by restrictions that the US Drug Enforcement Administration (“DEAâ€) places on amphetamine, which is the product’s active ingredient. Teva filed suit claiming that Shire was in breach of its supply contract. After the lawsuit was filed, DEA granted Shire additional quota for 2009,allowing Shire to supply Teva with additional product.

Teva has now dismissed its lawsuit, including its claims for monetary damages, specific

performance and other equitable relief. No consideration was exchanged by the parties as

part of the settlement.

BARR, on the other hand, is now fully incorporated into TEVA's organization chart : here is an article from the New York Times :

Teva Buys Drug Rival, Barr, for $7.46 Billion

By REUTERS

Published: July 19, 2008

Teva Pharmaceutical Industries said Friday that it would buy a rival generic drug maker, Barr Pharmaceuticals, for $7.46 billion to expand in both the United States and Europe.

The deal is the latest in a
wave of consolidation in the generic-drug sector that some analysts suspect will result in only a handful of major global players.

(...)

The combined company would be a generic powerhouse employing about 37,000 people globally and operating in more than 60 countries. Together, Barr and Teva had revenue of about $11.9 billion in 2007.

By acquiring Barr, Teva would move closer to its stated goal of increasing
its market share in the United States to 30 percent of generic prescriptions by 2012, from about 20 percent.

(...)

I could not devote more time to this little research, but it would be pretty safe to say that :

- Adderall XR is not yet available as a generic. The generic version sold by TEVA is authorized by SHIRE and has, I guess, to have an identical formula.

- Adderall IR is available in generic form, and his made by BARR, now a subsidiary of TEVA.

COREPharma and SANDOZ also sell a D-amphetamine salt combo as a generic Adderall.

- TEVA is not quite a monopoly in the generic meds markets, but captures a huge and ever increasing market share. They're pulling with all their might on their side of the blanket and are once again, in 2011, suing SHIRE for a breach of contract. The same suit that seemingly was settled in 2009.

But let's keep in mind that the conflict between TEVA and SHIRE is about Adderall XR, not Adderall IR.

http://chicagohealthonline.com/where-is-all-the-medicine/ Interesting article and I'm running into this problem once again /default_sad.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe they should start trying to prescribe Provigil more often for ADD. I think that could help a lot of people.

I get a rx monthly from my dr. for 90 30mg addys. For the last 2 months I have had hard time finding a pharmacy that has them in stock where I live. (SE U.S.) I finally got them today after a 4 day wait at the pharmacy. Yay... Can someone tell me whats going on...why the shortage? I asked the pharmacist and he couldn't tell me. It took me forever to get my insurance to approve 90mg daily and now Im worried about the shortage. Needless to say, glad I have them tonight. I'LL probably hyperfocus and read ever thread on this site. Love it here....

The shortage has been reality for a long time. It's not that the companies can't make enough -- of course they can. The problem is the quotas put in place by that fine federal agency we all know. This is what happens when gov't interferes with pharma, people who need their meds can't get it.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back