Anyone ever take Prozac as a teen? Please help with input

SaintAlien

Hello,

I do not have enough time till evening to make a formal post and explain everything, however I wanted to get this post started.  My son is around the age of 16 and exhibits signs of depression. After a compromise, we were able to get into a psych to see him until a therapist became available.  We are in Chicago and funding for mental health is the worst.  There was a 9 month waiting list for him until our GP made a referral.  9 months.

Anyways,  I've noticed he is very intense with this art (can't stop till it's perfect).  Then there was yesterday.  In period 2 (am hours), for absolutely no reason at that time, he took the kettle ball each team had and began slamming it into the gym floor.  This left 4 dents that I will pay for.  Luckily he holds no prior incident issues, hasn't ever been suspended and has a GPA of 3.9 and 2 points from a perfect ACT.  His grades, the right people being informed he was on this medication (to look for signs that are troubling and contact me asap), saved him from both arrest (vandalism of school property) and being expelled at the end of the year - having to repeat it and not being able to attend back at a very prestigious academy (that his grades and grants got him to.). He is  suspended till only Monday, thank the lord above for some miracles.

The school called the crisis center, as I was afraid he may harm himself if left alone.  He refuses to speak to people but does express himself to the social worker, who was present through-out.  The crisis center didn't feel hospitialization was needed (he was not a suicide risk nor a risk to others).  We go tomorrow for 2 hours for him to be fully assessed by a therapist.

Update: 

This therapist he actually spoke to!  Usually he has to write down how he feels I not speak it (he has issues with this).  I believe that center was far more comfortable. 

We went to his psych yesterday to take him off of prozac - today I gave him his 10mg I had laying around so that he didn't have withdrawal feelings aka brain zaps.  The psych has now called in:

paxil 25mg

Vistaril (which I've taken both of) - neither with side-effects (as an adult).

I will update later what he wrote when we went back after suspension and it's heart wrenchingly said.  Apparently, he feels as a burden financially and in anger hits himself.  The day of the kettle ball/bell - he has now opened up and said he woke up angry and it just came out.  No certain issue or person pushed it.  Monday when he returned people gossiped (I did prepare him for that, and that by a few days they'll find something else to talk about). Tuesday was a smile leaving the school and no out bursts.

I'm reaching out to hear from males who were on ssri's and their experiences.  I do not want him on anything - that's the first thing, but I don't want a dead child either.

He's intro-verted and in one of the toughest schools here *4 hours of homework a NIGHT

He has a few friends at school but mostly online.  I love him with everything and this weekend I'm taking him (without me) to stay with his older brother he misses.  I think we both need a break.

I feel for you. This is a hard one, my oldest son (he is 22 y/o today) was first started on medication and therapy etc at the age of 11. After all was said and done at age 16, he had been on 13 different medications in diferent combinations for adhd, anxiety,depression, all of it. Everything was always getting worse. When he was 16 one of the meds started causing "tics" and I decided to stop letting them experiment with my childs brain. I pulled him from all his therapy, doctors, went to the school and told them the counselers, nurse, and psychologists are not to speak to my son under any circumstances. I had to get a lawyer. If I had to do it over again....  As soon as I quit letting them drug, pressure, and "analyze" my son, as soon as he didnt have to talk about his "feelings" every single day, he was fine. As soon as I quit letting experts tell him something was wrong with him evrything changed. Hes 22, happy, good job, girlfriend. He's left our small town for the city and is making his way.

I dont advise on the subject, Every child is different. You love your son and will do what is best for him. I remember paxil well, it made my sons fingers tremble and shake.And the sweating.Those were just the physical symptoms. It was horrible. I feel guilty to this day for using poison to try to "fix" a unbroken child. I hope your experience is not like this, we already know eeryone responds differently to any medication.

What I learned from my experience and apply to my other 2 sons (14 and 11 y/o) is that, they dont have to be perfect. I believe in doing well in school, but some of the most important lessons in life cant be learned in the classroom. Kids need time to be kids.  They need time for unstructured play, to explore, to get dirty, to not have to worry about being the best, the smartest, the best dressed etc. I just want them to be themselves. I dont know if 4 hours of homework a night after a 8-9 hour school day helps a child succeed.  I dont believe in more than 30 minutes of homework, and Im pretty sure they will not end up as failures because they spent the evening fishing with their dad instead of doing their homework.  The time I guess, will tell.

@SaintAlien - can you send me a pm, I have a question but not enough post to send you a message....could really use your help! Thanks!! Gina 

Hello,

I do not have enough time till evening to make a formal post and explain everything, however I wanted to get this post started.  My son is around the age of 16 and exhibits signs of depression. After a compromise, we were able to get into a psych to see him until a therapist became available.  We are in Chicago and funding for mental health is the worst.  There was a 9 month waiting list for him until our GP made a referral.  9 months.

Anyways,  I've noticed he is very intense with this art (can't stop till it's perfect).  Then there was yesterday.  In period 2 (am hours), for absolutely no reason at that time, he took the kettle ball each team had and began slamming it into the gym floor.  This left 4 dents that I will pay for.  Luckily he holds no prior incident issues, hasn't ever been suspended and has a GPA of 3.9 and 2 points from a perfect ACT.  His grades, the right people being informed he was on this medication (to look for signs that are troubling and contact me asap), saved him from both arrest (vandalism of school property) and being expelled at the end of the year - having to repeat it and not being able to attend back at a very prestigious academy (that his grades and grants got him to.). He is  suspended till only Monday, thank the lord above for some miracles.

The school called the crisis center, as I was afraid he may harm himself if left alone.  He refuses to speak to people but does express himself to the social worker, who was present through-out.  The crisis center didn't feel hospitialization was needed (he was not a suicide risk nor a risk to others).  We go tomorrow for 2 hours for him to be fully assessed by a therapist.

Update: 

This therapist he actually spoke to!  Usually he has to write down how he feels I not speak it (he has issues with this).  I believe that center was far more comfortable. 

We went to his psych yesterday to take him off of prozac - today I gave him his 10mg I had laying around so that he didn't have withdrawal feelings aka brain zaps.  The psych has now called in:

paxil 25mg

Vistaril (which I've taken both of) - neither with side-effects (as an adult).

I will update later what he wrote when we went back after suspension and it's heart wrenchingly said.  Apparently, he feels as a burden financially and in anger hits himself.  The day of the kettle ball/bell - he has now opened up and said he woke up angry and it just came out.  No certain issue or person pushed it.  Monday when he returned people gossiped (I did prepare him for that, and that by a few days they'll find something else to talk about). Tuesday was a smile leaving the school and no out bursts.

I'm reaching out to hear from males who were on ssri's and their experiences.  I do not want him on anything - that's the first thing, but I don't want a dead child either.

He's intro-verted and in one of the toughest schools here *4 hours of homework a NIGHT

He has a few friends at school but mostly online.  I love him with everything and this weekend I'm taking him (without me) to stay with his older brother he misses.  I think we both need a break.
Can you send me a pm...see above message- thanks!!

Prozac saved my life when I was 16. I had a complete nervous breakdown and prozac gave me my life back. It's easy on your system and helps with both depression and anxiety. I'm praying for your baby. 

Kitty went through traumatic experiences growing up, Prozac in 6th grade helped. Then I relapsed with an attempt in 11th grade beginning, and went on Zoloft. Got back on Prozac after a kitten was born. I prefer Zoloft though. Once the extreme fatigue wears off, the medication helped. 

Looks like people have different experiences of it here, but my experience was...pretty dire. I was 20 and I was put on fluoxetine after I went to the doctors for the first time about the depression and anxiety that had been...absolutely horrible since I was about 14/15. About two months after starting it I made a suicide attempt. I get suicidal ideation a lot, even now, but this was the only time I'd acted on it. I was at the shops, saw lots of couples and felt sad, to say the least, then bit my hand and got a pretty nasty injury from it (again, self harm has always been a thing, but it seemed worsened). Then I got home and took 28 amitriptyline tablets. 'Luckily' it was a crap attempt and I was okay, but I was taken off fluoxetine instantly. (then they put me on Citalopram...seriously, bloody idiots).

To me, that's bad. For a med to do that...very bad. Incidentally, on Citalopram there were no attempts.

I do hope the situation with you and your son works out okay, though...

He''s on zoloft after 60 days of no refills.  I hate this system.  We have tried everything for sleep (he's almost 17), is there any non--narcotic med that will help

trazadone sucks

remeron is tricky and his dose is too low so he sleep all day the next day

Viseral - does nothing

of course all herbal

I need this sleep shit figured out before school in 2 weeks or we are going to have issues.  He sleeps 2-3 hours a night and he's going crazier. Any suggestions welcomed but remember 16 year old kid - just went through a seperation of parents and has come out as gay - 

He''s on zoloft after 60 days of no refills.  I hate this system.  We have tried everything for sleep (he's almost 17), is there any non--narcotic med that will help

trazadone sucks

remeron is tricky and his dose is too low so he sleep all day the next day

Viseral - does nothing

of course all herbal

I need this sleep shit figured out before school in 2 weeks or we are going to have issues.  He sleeps 2-3 hours a night and he's going crazier. Any suggestions welcomed but remember 16 year old kid - just went through a seperation of parents and has come out as gay - 
When you say viseral, do you mean vistaril (hydroxyzine)?

If so then my answer is pointless? But, I've found first generation anti histamines to be useful for sleep at a pinch? Without going down the b3nz0 or Z drug route?.  

I'd suggest promethazine, but I believe it's not available on your side of the pond?.. 

~P~

Benadryl helps with sleep if doc/pharmacist says won't make him too drowsy.

The perfection of his art, did that start after prozac?  Could be some ocd symptoms.  Paxil is very good for that.

I feel for you.  Getting help in this country with mental health is, excuse the expression, insane.

When you say viseral, do you mean vistaril (hydroxyzine)?

If so then my answer is pointless? But, I've found first generation anti histamines to be useful for sleep at a pinch? Without going down the b3nz0 or Z drug route?.  

I'd suggest promethazine, but I believe it's not available on your side of the pond?.. 

~P~
yes that's what I meant

He's on zoloft for 4 months or so now - no side effects 

I won't put him on ambien or Z! drugs - I fear addiction in my child. I don't want him on zoloft either but this is a big year at school - so I'm with social workers for time-outs etc

Hes bored and needs to be in honors, so he's snippy (not too rude) and struggling with being gay and in love with a straight person.

His lowest grade was a fucking A in 4th grade! He has a full ride to Oxford or any college at 40k per year if his gpa stays above 3.0

Therapy is the key and I'd like 1 year with tapering down the zolorft and one year without. We are completely alone here and it's rough

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back