Best rock drummer ever

painit4word

I say taking all the different qualities that define 'best' into consideration- John "Bonzo" Bonham.

Yes, I'm a drummer because of the Dr. of drums. Been a rush head a long time, which made my choice a difficult one. What tipped the scale is what Bonham could do with a 6pc. I saw R40 last summer, it was incredible. The master can still rip it up! Can I change my vote? 

Bonham is great but my vote goes to Keith Moon--he was the most entertaining while still be technically brilliant. When it comes to pure skill though some of the best drummers rarely made it on stage--people like Hal Baine, Al Jackson & Bernard Purdie--all great drummers who played on some classic tracks.

Rick Allen and yes Moonie was great. Extremely fast hands and helped the melody flow of each song by creating a similar melody on the skins.

He's a bit of a dickhead, but Phil Collins, I grudgingly say, has a good ear for rhythm, but he's going deaf now apparently.  

Dave Grohl, again, he's not going to be the best.  But singing and playing all the instruments pretty much for the first Foo Fighters album.  He's got a great sense of humour too; his music video's (I don't know who Directed them??) are classics, especially in the mid 90's with the success of MTV (a phenomenon that I still can't decide on).

@painit4word

Stewart Copeland also smashed up Sting's ribs with a guitar (someone needed to do it),  That gets my vote.

Ginger Baker!  Fantastic Drummer, but a cnut of a man!

He's a bit of a dickhead, but Phil Collins, I grudgingly say, has a good ear for rhythm, but he's going deaf now apparently.  

Dave Grohl, again, he's not going to be the best.  But singing and playing all the instruments pretty much for the first Foo Fighters album.  He's got a great sense of humour too; his music video's (I don't know who Directed them??) are classics, especially in the mid 90's with the success of MTV (a phenomenon that I still can't decide on).

@painit4word

Stewart Copeland also smashed up Sting's ribs with a guitar (someone needed to do it),  That gets my vote.

Ginger Baker!  Fantastic Drummer, but a cnut of a man!
I agree on both counts...I dig the new foo fighters tune, and anyone who appreciates music can see Phil Collins' contribution...

John Bonham

Mickey Hart for creativity and overall percussion skill

Stewart Copeland

Butch Trucks and Jaimoe from the Allman Bros.....

Neal Peart is amazing....

Hard to pick one because they all have different styles.  I would have to say Neal Peart is probably the best after seeing Rush in Greensboro, Nc last year....the still jam pretty good.   My favorite band of all time is Led Zeppelin....I love how insane Bonzo is....used to put tinfoil in the bass drum to get some thundering sounds.   

And last Dave Lombardo from Slayer....anyone who can drum that freakin fast gets my vote.  Good Googily Moogily that guy can set a wicked pace for some good thrash metal.  

John Bonham

Mickey Hart for creativity and overall percussion skill

Stewart Copeland

Butch Trucks and Jaimoe from the Allman Bros.....

Neal Peart is amazing....

Hard to pick one because they all have different styles.  I would have to say Neal Peart is probably the best after seeing Rush in Greensboro, Nc last year....the still jam pretty good.   My favorite band of all time is Led Zeppelin....I love how insane Bonzo is....used to put tinfoil in the bass drum to get some thundering sounds.   

And last Dave Lombardo from Slayer....anyone who can drum that freakin fast gets my vote.  Good Googily Moogily that guy can set a wicked pace for some good thrash metal.  
Love it! Did not know that about the tin foil...thanks for that music tidbit. ?

Travis Barker originally from Blink 182. I have/had no time for the band but as modern day drummers go he can't be overlooked. He's incredibly talented in all genres I'd pick him over a drummer from my favourite band kinda thing as you do tend to be bias. I'd have then said Dom Howard from Muse who is phenomenonal drummer one of the best still active but not the greatest ever 

Travis Barker gets my vote 

Long time Zep fan here so Bonham gets my vote. This solo on Moby Dick from LZII is one of the best drum solos I've heard. And thankfully I didn't see a vote for Richard Starkey ;) also a long time fan of the fab four but Rings did not a drummer make.

theres some pretty underground guys that kill it but as far as more mainstream goes... and I'm going with mostly classic rock guys although i think theres some metal drummers that just KILLL it . i mean different eras different times the later guys wouldn't exist without those early rock drummers, and those guys not without some of the jazz drummers . so if we're talking the birth of rock drumming.... Im going with

ginger baker (cream)

carmine apprice (vanilla fudge) 

bonham

keith moon

some metal drummers? don't know the guys names but 

pig destroyer

necrophagist

primus

dillinger escape plan

dream theatre

and i really like dave grohls drumming in them crooked vultures

Excellent choices I agree but what about Neil Pert from Rush? I also love Josh Dunn 21 Pilots. God you're bringing back some nostalgic memories with Primus! Ginger Baker is another great one! Did you see that movie on Netflix about him? I agree with you though Ginger Baker is on the top of my list! Can yo believe he's broke? That's how they portrayed him in the movie. It always seemed to me that Ginger could divide his brain and limbs into four independent machines that do whatever they want, precisely.  He never knew the fame of Eric and it Saddens me. I bought an old Bakers Air Force album. But fortunately for me and my love of music I really appreciate your list. Pretty damn good job! Oh I went back and saw he was already mentioned sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent choices I agree but what about Neil Pert from Rush? I also love Josh Dunn 21 Pilots. God you're bringing back some nostalgic memories with Primus! Ginger Baker is another great one! Did you see that movie on Netflix about him? I agree with you though Ginger Baker is on the top of my list! Can yo believe he's broke? That's how they portrayed him in the movie. It always seemed to me that Ginger could divide his brain and limbs into four independent machines that do whatever they want, precisely.  He never knew the fame of Eric and it Saddens me. I bought an old Bakers Air Force album. But fortunately for me and my love of music I really appreciate your list. Pretty damn good job! Oh I went back and saw he was already mentioned sorry!
yeah that documentary was good . yeah he never really had very popular groups compared to clapton or jack bruce. from what i could gather i think he lived a little more eccentric. definitely a free spirit and a pretty testy guy too lol. i mean by the end of cream even before they ended i think he was pretty much taking off to africa to start making world music. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for those artists that were kind of self destructive. a lot of musicians critics would say ohh they didn't do this or that they could've had a better career but that totally defeats the purpose of the art . some of his bands i think he was in to just 'get him by' and the rest of the time was out of the need to do what he wanted. 

i have a lot more respect for artists like that then say rolling stones who just played and played and played (and i like a lot of stones tunes but, they were into themselves a bit and making hits yeah? too much self awareness) 

primus is great .... great example of musicians that do they're own thing. they just had a tour last year and album with a willy wonka theme with a string quartet ( wtf?)

and yeah i do like rush. and pert is damn good. but i guess I've always liked bands that ran more on the raw energy then technicality. its just different. but he is insanely skilled and his drum sets.... wow. 

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back