Common Herbs Used For Medicinal Purposes

Denise

V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
20 Common Herbs for Medicinal Purposes

Herbs have been used medicinally probably ever since the first herb was discovered. Using herbs as a way to treat ailments can be dated all the way back to the Ancient Egyptians. Some of the uses have been relegated as folklore and myth, but here are 20 common herbs that you can grow (or are being grown) in your garden that are said to have medicinal purposes.

Angelica

Angelica is very popular for flavoring desserts and liqueurs, but can also help to ease digestive problems, ulcers, and migraines.

Bee Balm

Bee Balm, also called Bergamot, is a member of the mint family, and grow to a height of three to four feet. The flower that bursts into life atop the plant is strikingly beautiful, and resembles an exploded firework (that’s why they are also referred to as the “Firecracker Plantâ€). Bee Balm is often used in tea and helps to sooth sore throats, relieve cold symptoms, and helps to ease mild digestive problems.

bee_balm-300x225.jpg

Cilantro

Cilantro leaves are used to help combat loss of appetite and abdominal pains. It is also helpful with digestive problems, cough, heartburn, fever, and halitosis. So the next time you go on that first date, chew a little cilantro if you are worried about your breath.

Dill

Dill is sometimes used as an anti-inflammatory, and helps to ease flatulence. It is the herb recommended for colic in children. Chewing dill seeds can also help with halitosis.

Fennel

Fennel also helps to relieve flatulence, and the build up of gas in the intestinal tract. Syrup produced with fennel juice was once given to ease chronic cough.

Garlic

Garlic is sometimes applied to wounds to accelerate healing, and help fight ringworm. Raw garlic juice was used to ease whooping cough and pulmonary tuberculosis. A clove of garlic can be placed in the ear canal to help ease earache. Garlic is also used to keep those bloodsuckers away – vampires and mosquitoes.

Ginger

The Ginger root can be used to help digestive problems, and used as a stimulant. Ginger tea helps to relieve cold symptoms and anxiety.

Lavender

Lavender can be used in a tonic to help with spasms, fever, and digestive irritations. Lavender has also been known to help with bladder problems.

Majoram

Majoram can be used to relieve bronchial and chest pains, headaches, anxiety, and painful menstruation.

majoram-250x300.jpg

Parsley

Parsley is a good source of vitamin C. It also helps to relieve itching when applied to the affected area of the skin. It is also believed to help stunt tumor-cell growth, and stimulates the digestive system and uterus.

Periwinkle

Periwinkle is known to stop, or slow, fluid and blood loss. It is used for nosebleeds, bleeding gums, mouth ulcers, and sore throats. It has also been used to slow bleeding during menstruation cycles.

Rosemary

Rosemary is used to relieve headaches, nervousness, and dandruff. Rosemary can also be used in mouthwashes and gargles. Rosemary rubbed on the skin can help with circulatory problems.

Safflow

The flowers of the Safflower can be used as a laxative, and are effective in helping with measles, fever, and bug bites.

Sage

Sage has many uses such as treating indigestion and flatulence, anxiety, depression, treating bug bites, and throat, gum, and mouth infections.

Spearmint

Spearmint is mainly used in cooking, but can help to relieve indigestion, flatulence, hiccups, and upper respiratory infections in children. Blended in a massage oil, spearmint can help with muscles aches, stress, and fatigue.

St. John's Wort

St. John's Wort is a very popular herb can be used to relieve pulmonary conditions, bladder issues, diarrhea, hysteria, and nervousness.

st-johns-wort-300x225.jpg

Tansy

Tansy can be effective in getting rid of intestinal worms such as threadworm and roundworm. It can also be used in a lotion on the skin to treat scabies.

Tarragon

Tarragon is widely used in salads, making pickles and in other dishes, but can be used to ease toothache pain.

Thyme

Thyme can be used as an anti-septic of the mouth, plus helps relieve tonsillitis, and gum diseases. It has also been used as a tonic on the hair to treat dandruff and hair loss.

Yucca

Yucca roots have been used in the treatment of some cancers, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Remember to consult your physician before trying any of these herbal uses!

Note:
This article is solely for entertainment purposes, and not meant to be medical advise. I am not a medicine man, witch doctor, mad scientist, nor a voodoo priest. Please consult your family physician before using ANY of the listed herbal uses below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great list Denise.

I knew about a few of those like ginger and garlic, but had no idea that all those other herbs helped in those different ways. I may have to try using a few if I get back to cooking more again.

When I get time I would like to discuss some of these herbs and others in more details.

I encourage people to "google" or whatever these herbs.

For example, garlic capsules can help blood pressure - it helped my mother-in-law's blood pressure and others I know.

IF some disaster brings our organized society down.........we will need to know natural cures for basic illnesses or how to boost our immune system.

I have several books of natural cures and an encyclopedia of herbs w/pics etc. 

Being a nurse, if I'm still breathing during some catastrophy, I will be trying to help people.

Great list, thanks for sharing. If our society crumbles I'm headed your way. /default_smile.png

Great list, thanks for sharing. If our society crumbles I'm headed your way. /default_smile.png
I live within sight of small river and middle of mountains with plenty of firewood surrounding me.  Can purify water.

My grandson and I have already planned thru how we will heat, eat, drink, gather supplies, fortify house, and protect ourselves.

I have 4 bedrooms, only 2 are occupied. That leaves 2 for friends or family. 

I have 2 bathrooms with skylights - one off my master bedroom has a garden tub & shower.

Huge great room with vaulted ceiling.  Huge deck on back of home and covered porch on side by driveway.

I won't say how much water, OTC meds, food, and other survival supplies I have - but it's considerable.

Have weapons for protection and will not hesitate to use them.  Grandson is good with gun and bow/arrows.

BTW, Did you know....... 

Wasp spray will shoot 20-30 feet and blinds you if you don't receive medical treatment in a timely manner.   Just a thought.

Have had a friend already get caught in a "flash mob" and her spray was all that saved her and another elderly lady.

I live within sight of small river and middle of mountains with plenty of firewood surrounding me.  Can purify water.

My grandson and I have already planned thru how we will heat, eat, drink, gather supplies, fortify house, and protect ourselves.

I have 4 bedrooms, only 2 are occupied. That leaves 2 for friends or family. 

I have 2 bathrooms with skylights - one off my master bedroom has a garden tub & shower.

Huge great room with vaulted ceiling.  Huge deck on back of home and covered porch on side by driveway.

I won't say how much water, OTC meds, food, and other survival supplies I have - but it's considerable.

Have weapons for protection and will not hesitate to use them.  Grandson is good with gun and bow/arrows.

BTW, Did you know....... 

Wasp spray will shoot 20-30 feet and blinds you if you don't receive medical treatment in a timely manner.   Just a thought.

Have had a friend already get caught in a "flash mob" and her spray was all that saved her and another elderly lady.
Hi Denise, are you sure you are using the term "flash mob" correctly? Do you mean a "wasp swarm" at any rate, I would be very interested in hearing the details.

This is a great list. I see that it's an old thread. But it has given me a lot of very helpful information. I plan on starting my own herb garden soon. I will be researching to find sites where I can purchase the products to start my  medicinal herb garden.  If anyone has any helpful tips please let me know. Thank you! I'm very interested in herbs that have  medicinal effects.  This list has helped me immensely again thank you. I'm  particularly interested in milk thistle. Also I am researching Yerba mate. Thanks to this site I have found many answers. Thank you DGB. 

My children have very bad eczema and I know that there are herbs out there that can care of it.  If anyone knows of any herbs that are good for eczema please let me know. Thank you! 

Forcesofnaturemedicine.com sells an organic treatment that works well for me. Money back if you aren't happy. i don't have any connection to this site, btw, just a customer. I also use sea spray or witch hazel to dry it if I'm having a weeping spot. Soaking in magnesium salts helps and coconut oil is a very good moisturizer. Hope this helps.

Herbhedgerow.co.uk has a good article on the 20 best skincare herbs for treating eczema and 20 best oils for eczema. I have tried many of these, but settled on compounded natural ingredients for simplicity. Still using some things in their natural form may be better.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back