Countermail

headbanger

V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
I use countermail and recently was asked if I wanted to update to the lastest version of Java. Well I did and my logon keeps failing now. I'm on W8 and using explorer.

I already put down one computer this week. This is a fairly new one and I am pissed. I'm not good with computers, just numbers(beancounter).

Can someone help with simple suggestions without sending me through a bunch of steps?

Should I uninstall the reininstall CM?

Thank you.

I use countermail and recently was asked if I wanted to update to the lastest version of Java. Well I did and my logon keeps failing now. I'm on W8 and using explorer.

I already put down one computer this week. This is a fairly new one and I am pissed. I'm not good with computers, just numbers(beancounter).

Can someone help with simple suggestions without sending me through a bunch of steps?

Thank you.
Yes, I'd just reinstall the CM engine. I had a few minor issues after a Java update myself.

Jewy do you mean to uninstall then reinstall CM? This computer shit frustrates me. Where's my cassette player?

Jewy do you mean to uninstall then reinstall CM? This computer shit frustrates me. Where's my cassette player?
You shouldn't have to reinstall anything, other than what's called the "Countermail Engine", which is a Java applet I believe. Anyway, geek speak aside, are you accessing CM through their website? If so, then there shouldn't be a need to reinstall anything. Let me give Hooter a shout and bring  him in to help you. He's better at explaining this stuff than I am. I can do it, but can't teach it all that cogently.

I can't speak to the countermail issue, but one thing of which to be aware:

Watch the prompts when updating Java.  Do NOT let it install Norton or any other "antivirus" program - you'll need to un-check that box before initiating the install.  If you mistakenly allowed Norton to install, get Hooter to help you through the motions of uninstalling it (it's a nasty program that attaches itself to lots of things).  I've learned this the hard way by many times having to "clean" my Mother-in-Law's computer after she fell for the "need" to let Norton install.  My kids play lots of games that use Java and we are constantly updating; I'm always careful to watch for the little checkboxes that are conveniently checked for you so that things like Norton can be installed as a part of the update.

Use Microsoft Security Essentials for protecting your computer instead.  Especially if this is a newish computer, go ahead and download it.  Hooter can of course chime in if I am mistaken on any of this  /default_smile.png  but I have picked up on a few geek-speak things over the years.

I even host a Minecraft server for my kids.  They think I'm just the coolest Mom ever - what they don't realize is that I am able to keep a watch on ALL of the chat that goes on while they are playing (and not!) HA!

Good luck, HB - hope life is treating you well!

Thanks tri gal, life is good computers suck! Sorry about my English.

I'm a bean counter but understand some computer prompts. I did not add in anything. It worked fine until I said update me. Thanks for the advice. I normally do not keep anything irreplaceable on the HD so maybe I'll start fro scratch. It worked fine until tonight.

Gots to get it to work so I can talk with my new friends at MT.

Thanks hooter1 and I tried downloading FF. Got the same messages.

I'm befudiled with computer shit but does anyone want to know about cashflow, cost accounting or P&L an BS analysis? Hate computers love spreadsheets!

you know a starting to like this site, more and more every day! i should had look at this yesterday" then it would have taken that is this just me? will i do this? what if i do that? not nice feeling!! cheers

If your computer did create a restore point before the update, go back to that point.  

Agree with Explorer having one use - to install another browser.  I like Chrome, but worked with Firefox for a long time and still do when working on build/fixes to websites.

Hopefully the IT group at work can walk you through a restore process; if not check back in with me or Hooter.

Good luck!

I used to like Norton.  Now I hate 'em.  They are like a spider web inside the Windows Registry.  They attach to the kernel, stuff you have to surgically remove.  I run 3 networks.  One is a gubmint system w/150 desktops +/- over 5 sites, 4 counties.  We use TrendMicro Enterprise.  The other two are smaller and I use Viper only.

HB, I wish I could see your machine....gosh I don't love W8.  In countermail, under any of the menu bar items (menu bar across the top) is there a "detect/Repair" choice in any of the dropdown menus?  Frinstance, hit Help.  In the dropdown menu, look at choices.  If there is a repair choice, click it.

First & simplest thing comes to mind.  Second thing:

Just reinstall.  If it wants to uninstall it will do so.  I like simple.

Thank you.
um  Logon to  Countermail?

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't know what I did but I can logon to CM now.

If anyone needs any computer advice don't ask me!

Bluesman - I'm going to have to hit you up the next time I run into issues.  You seem to know your stuff!

HB - glad you are worked out!

This may have already been answered (forgive me if it has) but can you install Java on an iPad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use CM and recently upgraded to the latest version of Java. When I downloaded it I forgot to  uncheck a box and got a bunch of shit I did not want like a tool bar at the top. It was related to Ask.com.

I got rid of that and some other annoying stuff like an Ask.com homepage but here's my problem. When I go to logon to CM I can't get to the logon screen. I can get to the website, click on a button that says  logon, it's goes to the next screen but the logon boxes will not load. one of those annoying indicators just keeps spinning. I tried checking to make sue the Java script was enabled and it was. I restarted several times too.

Does anyone have any ideas? Remember computers are my thing, Marshall amps, Les Pauls, Ampeg SVT's are so please talk slowly.

Thanks.

With you on the Marshall, Ampeg SVT's & Les Paul's there HB..... Also Mesa Boogie....

However, countermail & computers...... Not so much?

P you can tell  from my brand names I'm old school. And there are many good brands other than what I mentioned. Those above are just my favorites.

My CM is still doing the same thing. I have a back up double secret email account so I can get by. Thing is since I can't logon to CM I can't send a message to the helpdesk cause they won't respond unless the messages originates from their website.

hey guys I like this place everyone seems nice btw grand did you use to be a member of the old db website seems like I remember that picture

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back