Django Unchained

2178739-optimus_prime_meme_generator_you_sir_are_correct_993d6f.jpg

Awesome movie.  Christoph Waltz has been an amazing addition to the Tarantino line-up the last two films.  

I'm pretty sure that this was my favorite movie of 2013.

Someone should start a "favorite _____ of 2013" thread.

I first saw Waltz in Inglorious Basterds. What a smooth, suspenseful actor!

I saw Django Unchained in the theater and want to watch it again. My stubborn nature won't allow it.

Technical tricks notwithstanding, It irks me that I now must either a. Buy a copy, b. rent I on cable or c. Break the law and download it from a rogue site. I realize that's the direction of the industry; to suck every penny out of the movie-goer possible. I just can't bring myself to buy a copy of wahlberg's The Fighter or Silver Linings Playbook for 17 bucks three years after The Fighter came out and a year after SLP came out. Yet... My wife rents Love Actually every Christmas for 3.99 for 48 hours... And then it's gone.

I just sent to see The Wolf of Wall Street last night and there wasn't a seat available in the theater. What is it about going to the movies that is the big draw? We have things like Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Instant Video, DVDs, premium cable channels, on-demand films, and for Xmas someone got me a Chromecast. Still, like an eight-year-old I went to the movies; I just hadda see this flick NOW, not next year, but now! To some extent it's the social event, going out, but there's something more, and it Ain't just me. Interesting to analyze the change in the movie business.

I' m curious to see what others think on the subject.

PR

I first saw Waltz in Inglorious Basterds. What a smooth, suspenseful actor!

I saw Django Unchained in the theater and want to watch it again. My stubborn nature won't allow it.

Technical tricks notwithstanding, It irks me that I now must either a. Buy a copy, b. rent I on cable or c. Break the law and download it from a rogue site. I realize that's the direction of the industry; to suck every penny out of the movie-goer possible. I just can't bring myself to buy a copy of wahlberg's The Fighter or Silver Linings Playbook for 17 bucks three years after The Fighter came out and a year after SLP came out. Yet... My wife rents Love Actually every Christmas for 3.99 for 48 hours... And then it's gone.

I just sent to see The Wolf of Wall Street last night and there wasn't a seat available in the theater. What is it about going to the movies that is the big draw? We have things like Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Instant Video, DVDs, premium cable channels, on-demand films, and for Xmas someone got me a Chromecast. Still, like an eight-year-old I went to the movies; I just hadda see this flick NOW, not next year, but now! To some extent it's the social event, going out, but there's something more, and it Ain't just me. Interesting to analyze the change in the movie business.

I' m curious to see what others think on the subject.

PR
DVD burner and premium cable.  When they hit HBO / Starz, etc. record to DVR.  Then run them out to your DVD burner and burn a copy.  Or you can just burn straight from the feed while watching.  If you do it that way though (live burn), you may lose some of your surround sound that one time while you are burning it.  I look at this as not a crime as I do pay for my premium cable or on demand purchases, (I know I'm rationalizing it, lol). But this is how I obtain most of my DVD's.  S-

Last edited:
Hi S,

Happy Saturday.  Yay!  I'm off this weekend!

Yeah, I've got the technical methods down.  I have a lab and all kindsa equipment - for personal use, so I'm ready to create a DVD copy when it comes out on HBO/Stars, etc.  I'm not an expert on the subject, but I understand that technically, reproducing any copyrighted media such as a film is not legal, but I know people do it all the time.

What I'm interested in knowing is this:  What is the draw to get people going to the movie theater?   With all of the technology and media services that people have access to, why do people spend new money, on a regular basis, to go to a theater?   I get that it's an evening out with friends, spouses, etc., but that doesn't explain people fighting for seats.

Regards,

PR

I truly detest going to the movie theater and actually refuse to anymore.  Common courtesy is gone... totally gone.  Cell phones, feet on chairs, non-stop talking of others, etc..  It makes the entire experience of the seeing the movie on the big screen unenjoyably difficult for me.  I have a decent size (65" LED 240h) smart TV with built in surround sound in my living room walls / ceiling so I find watching movies at home far more entertaining.   

Plus, the price point of movie tickets anymore, not that I'm cheap, but I can't see spending the money to go somewhere I am almost positive is going to end up being a crappy experience as opposed to the entertainment I would be looking for. S-

PS>.  lucky you being off.  @ work since 730 this morning.  ugh.

Last edited:
I see your point.   We have the same problems in our local theaters.   Still we do go.   Something drives people in droves to the theater.

I just hook up my computer to the TV and download whatever I want off TPB. One of my exes worked at a Cinemark and I've got a couple hundred guest passes and even more rain checks, plus I sneak food in when I go so I don't spend a dime on movies LOL

I always think I'm going to like going to the movies, but the idea in my head died with the 80's.

The current theatre scene is really for a certain breed of folks...likely those with more patience, self-control and money...

We get free movie passes from a family member, so the ticket cost is inconsequential.

Somehow though, even if we've just eaten a lovely and nutritious dinner, I still desire the crappy nacho chips with melted cheese.

It's unconscionable that this is passed off as food at all...and yet, there I am, standing in line to drop $15 dollars on stale corn pucks and melted cheese wiz.

Once in my seat, I spend the first 10 minutes arguing with myself about the likelihood of Bed Bug infestations, and then promptly develop a quick hatred for the people around me. I find it difficult to focus on the movie, because I am scowling at the guy next to me that thinks his finger up his snout is invisible once the lights have been dimmed.

I wish it was still a magical experience, like Star Wars or E.T.

Oh well, who am I kidding, I usually fall asleep before the 45 minute mark.

Yep, take a number, the line of suitors is out the door, waiting for a chance to bring this gal on a date to the movies.

B

Hi. Beranda,

I thought no one could see me once the lights were dimmed.

From now on I'll behave myself, I promise! -/default_smile.png

But seriously, you have an Interesting perspective. You are not alone.

Regards,

PR

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Tarantino's best movie in a while.  I'd rather forget that Death Proof even happened.  Kill Bill was good...but the first part sort of dragged.

christopher waltz makes inglorious basterds but in terms of pure dialog - gotta go with pulp or the underrated reservoir dogs 

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back