Doc knows about op!ate addiction, seeing him on Monday...

Smoka90

V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
This might be in the wrong forum, 'recovery' isn't at the front of my mind...

But anyway, saw a neurologist recently because of my epilepsy, and due to that I had to tell him about what I take, including the daily opiate dose. At the time it was semi regular tr@ madollawoowaa and daily D H C (180mg usually) and kratom (4-5 gram ish). Now I've quit the tr@m adolly (duh...well done me), but anyway... his letter was sent to my GP, and it reccomends discussion/treatment for the opiate addiction. Agh? What do I do? I'm not ready to quit, and I'm *really* not! If I had to quit I'd make my last dose deadly.

I'm not sure what approach the doc will take, but I'm pondering a few options. I could say I'm tapering myself and am doing well, or that I've quit completely...I would love to tell him the truth and say I'm not ready to quit, but they won't buy that...

Any ideas on what to say to him? I'm quite worried over it.

Of course, I'd love to bring up the topic of the desecration of personal sovereignty, but such a well educated medical professional probably wouldn't appreciate such obvious. *bleeping*. truths!

All you can do is be honest and tell him your not looking to quit at the moment,tell him/her you feel you'd be Wasting his and your time as your head just isn't into recovery at present.But do say you may well be looking to quit in the future and you would be glad to speak when you feel more ready ,altough if I were you just at least listen to any ideas he/she may have,the doctor may surprise you?.Always with recovery of opiates you have to be 100% committed for yourself (no one else) or it will never work!!!.

Good luck smoka...

Peace 

Bliss.....

That is sound advice, and I definitely feel better knowing that I can be honest for the most part, it makes things so much easier. I guess I can, as you say, listen to ideas, 'humour' him (?), and then say exactly how I feel...

But you're right, I know there's no way I'd ever quit when I don't want to, I wouldn't last one whole day. Tr@m, that went down the drain because I ended up loathing it for what it is, but the others, still love, sadly or gladly.

But thank you for the advice, hopefully it all goes relatively smoothly. I'll just keep reminding myself they can't 'force' me to go to any kind of referral service.

We're right behind you smoka, I can't add anything else to what bliss said. He pretty much nailed it. Just be honest! 

Yeah smoka listen to what he has to say and as I said before if your not ready/your not ready ,and it 100% will not work unless you want to be free of opiates.Good luck anyway and they can't force you to do anything you don't want to,you'll know when you want to stop simple as that!.

Peace 

Bliss......

Thanks both of you. =)

To be honest, being completely honest didn't really occur to me. It's not because I'm inherently dishonest (at least I hope not), but when it comes to seeing the doctor and drug use coming into it, I'm always wary of being judged and being steered in a direction I don't want to go in. I'm still wary. I can imagine me saying I'm not ready, and him still steering me into a referral, saying that addicts never say they're ready. I don't think that's true, I've kicked a daily alcohol habit and tramadol, and in both cases I was most certainly 'ready'...

But you're right, I can't be forced to do anything...

For all I know, the appointment may be more about my anti elipsey meds, I hope so, but we'll have to see...

Thanks again. =)

Your most certainly correct Smoka addicts don't always say they arn,t ready as many are more than ready,sometimes it comes down to financial problems and family comitments ie paying rent,bills ect.You,ll be fine it REALLY isn't anything to worry about so try not to be too anxious about your appointment pal...

Peace 

Bliss.....

Ps I'm sure the doc would rather your honest about not being ready as you'd just be Wasting his time aswell as someone else's chance who really wants a chance to get clean.Years ago I waited over 2yrs for a referal for the drug treatment clinic when all I wanted was help straight away.Luckily the waiting times have came down over the years!!.

Good old NHS?....

Last edited:
Two years? That's insane...and I'm sort of surprised to hear that the waiting lists have reduced, since addicts don't always tend to get treated that well...

But luckily I do feel a little calmer about it now, I think I always need some reassurance, but I'm very glad I got it. Thanks. =)

And I'll report back and let you know how it went as well.

I think the NHS came to its scenes as when you go to the doc or drug services you want help then or nearby then.Most certainly not two years later!,I think there was some cases of people comititting suicide and od,ing while waiting for treatment which were highlighted.Basically the NHS set more £ aside for helping people with drug problems.As when I first went to adress my problem 20 yrs ago I was ignored until I took my family in with me to try to get help with my problem and the doc was my family doc my entire life!!...

Peace

Bliss....

To sum it up I went 5 times myself and got no help and once with my mother and father and was helped first time??,what does that tell ya (I was being fobbed off!!!)

That experience doesn't sound good... I've got to admit, I've never touched any sort of recovery service, I'd have no idea what to expect. I've always thought they wouldn't take me seriously, since it's 'just' D H C. But the neurologist seemed keen to get me help, maybe because of the epilepsy, I don't know. We'll have to see, but I don't feel so nervous now.

At least the NHS seems to be making some progress, at least considering that they're operating under the shackles of prohibitive drug laws.

Okay, so I did see him, and the subject of addiction barely came up. He said, 'it says here (on the letter)...'op!ate addiction', so I explained what I currently take and what I'd quit, but he didn't seem to care to be honest. I think he's more keen on thinking less of me to, spent the rest of the consultation patrionising me, questioning whether I actually had any condition and interrupting virtually all of my sentences with 'yes, yes, yes...'.

So, grr.

GRRR!

F'ing doctor.

I know sometimes it's infuriating trying to speak to a drug worker telling them a problem that is troubling you,only for them to nod and say yes,yes,yes . Especially when you really need answers or help with a problem then and then not someone who has 10-15mins to take a urine sample and write a script!.If your recovery is going well that's ok but if your struggling there's not enough time to get the help/advice you need.Having said that I am glad that the help is there so much quicker than all those yrs ago when I waited 2yrs for a referal to come to fruition?.

Back then you were placed on a list and if you were female and pregnant or injecting in your kneck or groin you were put nearer the top of the list as a matter of urgency.But if you say worked and just smoked it you just had to wait your turn and it was soul destroying phoning up each month to be told you were no8 on the list but your now 14th due to "urgent referals" god that infuriated me so much RRRrrřrr,but I'm sure most of you out there would understand how that must've felt....

Peace 

Bliss......

I definitely know how you feel... I still feel angry now, so patrionised. Perhaps they'd feel better if we just told them that we sipped one glass of wine too many at night? Perhaps that would elevate us to the status of 'human being' to them? Grr.

But if I had to wait two years just for someone to go 'yes, yes, yes..', that, I could not cope with.

It's a case of too many recoving addicts and not enough cpn/drug workers,the NHS in general are having to (tighten there belts) Im relationship to nurses/doctors.So I suppose the addiction services are pretty low on the list financially!!!..

Peace

Bliss....

Ps at least in the UK we get our addiction services as part of the NHS,unlike our friends across the sea in the USA who have to pay daily/weekly for they're  doctors  or pain meds...........

It's a case of too many recoving addicts and not enough cpn/drug workers,the NHS in general are having to (tighten there belts) Im relationship to nurses/doctors.So I suppose the addiction services are pretty low on the list financially!!!..

Peace

Bliss....

Ps at least in the UK we get our addiction services as part of the NHS,unlike our friends across the sea in the USA who have to pay daily/weekly for they're  doctors  or pain meds...........
Does the UK provide m3thadon3 treatment for addicts for free? 

Yes also bup treatment is covered by the NHS,sometimes I think we take the NHS for granted as it's always been there.When you look at the USA for instance people pay a small fortune for health insurance, even then they don't get all the meds they need,jeez I think the denplan is bad enough!!!

Peace 

Bliss....

Ps I know there's loads more NHS dentists these days but a least if your on a denplan it stops any huge bills surprising you.....

I try not to take the NHS for granted, but sometimes it's hard not to...I always have a gripe when there's a balls up with my prescription and I have to pay a needless £8.20 extra (every prescription really), but it's not really that much..

Certainly with a lot of the neurology treatment I'm getting them at the moment, the equipment is expensive and the treatment would cost a fortune elsewhere...

I try not to take the NHS for granted, but sometimes it's hard not to...I always have a gripe when there's a balls up with my prescription and I have to pay a needless £8.20 extra (every prescription really), but it's not really that much..

Certainly with a lot of the neurology treatment I'm getting them at the moment, the equipment is expensive and the treatment would cost a fortune elsewhere...
Fair enough then smoka,apart from my gripes abt waiting times (in the past mostly) the NHS works fine for me.I only get meds for my Ahsma though and my (greenhandcuffs) of course.....

Peace 

Bliss....

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back