Gabapetina's true effect on opiod withdrawal

takingiteasy

So, as I recounted somewhere I use Gabapetina with great success to avoid nasty to unbearable withdrawal effect from the big O.

My question: During the times that Gaba keeps me 'safe', does my body actually have the ability to do the healing effect it needs to feel less pained when the O is not coming as expected? 

My intuition and taper success says yes, but if Gaba only 'blocks' the opiot receptors instead of letting the body decrease their amount and sensibility (which is what opiat-with-drawal means?), do I trick myself and come out of Gaba-weekends with the same amount of opiate receptors screaming for a fill? 

I know the whole system is only half understood (a shame in our time and social situation) but has anybody here deeper knowhow?

Is my concern / question clear?

So, as I recounted somewhere I use Gabapetina with great success to avoid nasty to unbearable withdrawal effect from the big O.

My question: During the times that Gaba keeps me 'safe', does my body actually have the ability to do the healing effect it needs to feel less pained when the O is not coming as expected? 

My intuition and taper success says yes, but if Gaba only 'blocks' the opiot receptors instead of letting the body decrease their amount and sensibility (which is what opiat-with-drawal means?), do I trick myself and come out of Gaba-weekends with the same amount of opiate receptors screaming for a fill? 

I know the whole system is only half understood (a shame in our time and social situation) but has anybody here deeper knowhow?

Is my concern / question clear?
im shit with biochemistry, but as far as ive read, G@bap3ntin doesn't bind to any op1o1d receptors so i'm not sure about your question. Like n@rcan has a stronger affinity for op1o1d recepters than op1o1ds so it will bind stronger and therefore cause immediate withdrawal.  But maybe im misunderstanding your question!?!? or biochemistry lol!

Reactions: Rit
I thought Gaba would bind to opiod receptors, but now that you say it, I have to research. I just assumed

@takingiteasy just as @DoomKitty says gabapentin or neurontin doesn’t bind opioid receptors because it’s not an opioid antagonist...it’s an anti seizure medication and it effects the way the brain reacts to certain brain receptors. I’m wondering if you feel less w/d symptoms from opioids due to a combination of your tapering and the nerve pain that’s sometimes decreased by gabapentin. Are you saying you’re less sick during w/d when you take gabapentin? If it’s been built up in your system ( beginning dose 300mg eventually up to 900mg maintenance dose) depending on your drs. tx. plan, for peripheral “nerve “ pain that’s chronic or lasts longer than 6 months.

Does this help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, thanks. I bridge nights with 800mg Gaba, without morph, and same on weekends, while I taper morph during the week. 

Let me enter from a different POV: While taking Opiats for long nonstop, the body 'grows' more opi-receptors to balance loss of sensibility (which is why you are 100% fit after 5 years on 1gr Morph a day).

As you stop doing the 1gr, you open all the receptors for full feeling and that's what hurts, right? Slowly or with narcan (tried both) it's worse pain of all.

Now, in comes Gaba: While on Gaba, does my brain reduce the op-recept? Or just sits there and waits with gaba occupying all and every receptors. That would result in still having way to many opiat-recept when it comes to the end of usage.

Will I then still have to endure the pain, unless I contiue with Gaba fulltime, or is my brain back to normal (hahhaha, never)?

Make sense from the layman?

Long term opioid use doesn't grow more receptors. You have a limited number located in the brain, spine and intestinal track. It desensitizes them as they adjust to the increased amount of opioids in the body. As your tolerance builds more opioids are needed to achieve the same effects. Once you lower or discontinue your dosage your brain and body is unable to fill the gap with it's naturally produced opioids and endorphins. Gabapentin may relieve some of your symptoms such as nerve pain and restlessness by the calming effect it has on your brain. But again, as stated above it does not bind to any opioid receptors. It's method of action is entirely different. Since it has no affinity for your opioid receptors it will have no impact on how long your withdrawal will last nor will it keep your tolerance up. The fact that it dulls the pain of withdrawal for you is great but I wouldn't rely on it solely to bring you off your taper symptom free. It's efficiency for this purpose is moderate at best. Especially if your meds are extended release you still have active opioids in your system even on those weekends and are not experiencing complete withdrawal. Personally I would never rely on this drug for this purpose unless you are at a very low dose on your taper and just need to mitigate some of the symptoms. The only taper I have had success with is using bur3norphine. But to each his own. Either way I wish you the best. It's a rough road and no small feat to kick a long term opi habit. Good luck!

Reactions: Rit
im shit with biochemistry, but as far as ive read, G@bap3ntin doesn't bind to any op1o1d receptors so i'm not sure about your question. Like n@rcan has a stronger affinity for op1o1d recepters than op1o1ds so it will bind stronger and therefore cause immediate withdrawal.  But maybe im misunderstanding your question!?!? or biochemistry lol!
You are correct for sure, (although I think it’s more of a molecular biology matter rather than biochemistry.) Naloxone has wider affinity than any opi-ate$/Oid$ to attach to μ-OR (Mu Opi. receptors and  ).

I think when people use Gabapentine to help with withdrawals, they simply looking for a substitute to address their pain. I would say for Somatic Pain - TYLENOL IS A BETTER CHOICE THAN NEURONTIN. Using Gabapentin for somatic pain as effective as using milk with pickles and smoked fish smoothie.  

Although, for nociceptive neuropathic pain, for example: fibromyalgia, shingles, other neurological disorders Gabapentine, Pregabalin and some other meds front this class were found effective. But again not to help withdrawals, simply to help the pain that is still there once narcotics are off the MOR/KOR/DORs and something has to come to replace the PKs.

That's all good news, as far as I can understand. Nothing wrong with how I do it even if other options exist.

BTW, totally correct, I also use bupreN0rph as a patch (100mg) which will be my last taper off med. First goes the pure morph, then the bupreN0. The Bupre and Testosterone injects have been life safer for me. Until I started Testerone I was closer to suicide than ever, pain or no pain.

@Olart Pharma

You are correct for sure, (although I think it’s more of a molecular biology matter rather than biochemistry.) Naloxone has wider affinity than any opi-ate$/Oid$ to attach to μ-OR (Mu Opi. receptors and  ).

I think when people use Gabapentine to help with withdrawals, they simply looking for a substitute to address their pain. I would say for Somatic Pain - TYLENOL IS A BETTER CHOICE THAN NEURONTIN. Using Gabapentin for somatic pain as effective as using milk with pickles and smoked fish smoothie.  

Although, for nociceptive neuropathic pain, for example: fibromyalgia, shingles, other neurological disorders Gabapentine, Pregabalin and some other meds front this class were found effective. But again not to help withdrawals, simply to help the pain that is still there once narcotics are off the MOR/KOR/DORs and something has to come to replace the PKs.
So gabatin is for people who use op8 for pain they had before using op8's? So for the other people it would only help with RLS? Suppose that's better then nothing to help

That's all good news, as far as I can understand. Nothing wrong with how I do it even if other options exist.

BTW, totally correct, I also use bupreN0rph as a patch (100mg) which will be my last taper off med. First goes the pure morph, then the bupreN0. The Bupre and Testosterone injects have been life safer for me. Until I started Testerone I was closer to suicide than ever, pain or no pain.
How do u get testosterone injections? If I have low T can I get it tested at any regular dr and ask them (because of my past opiate use) to boost mine up?

or would u recommend getting Test from Mexico pharmacy if I have option to go there and get it?

How do u get testosterone injections? If I have low T can I get it tested at any regular dr and ask them (because of my past opiate use) to boost mine up?

or would u recommend getting Test from Mexico pharmacy if I have option to go there and get it?
@SoCal2020 You can go to your doctor and get labs done to determine if you are low on hormone levels and then you can make an informed decision about hormone supplementation. The body isn't simple and its best to look at all the possible reasons why you may be low before jumping on a solution.   So if you are able to get the hormones via your doc and have regular labs done afterwards then that's the path i would recommend!

If you have chronic pain, I would (now in hindsight) start a 24/7 regime of full-on Gabapeti and wait IF the sideffects (only sleepiness) do abate. A full-on op8 regime also knocks you down for a few weeks/months before you can function again. But using op8 fulltime always is no fun longterm and I rather have fun once in a week or when pain-necessary.

My wife and I were taking 800mg gaba and it gave us no noticeable relief at all. I had read that it was supposed to help immensely, but it did absolutely nothing for us. Did you find it helpful?

My wife and I were taking 800mg gaba and it gave us no noticeable relief at all. I had read that it was supposed to help immensely, but it did absolutely nothing for us. Did you find it helpful?
Really? That's utterly surprising. My wife takes 100mg and says it locks her in bed. Do you have pharma grade quality? There also is pregaba and some other stuff, of which I don't know anything. Mine comes from the doc.
U taking it for chronic pain or op8 withdrawal? 
My brain is resistant to highest dosages of benzos, barbiturates, or morph, including booze, and I can stay awake when everybody else is dead out snoring. Extreme insomniac here, in fact I almost NEVER, in 30 years of using slept without allowing myself todo so and being confi and all. Perhaps twice and then only for an hour. Never woke up in my shoes in bed or such.
800mg Gaba every six hours, get me to sleep 24 hour straight, a miracle for me.

Though everybody is different, but your wife AND you getting no effect from 800mg seems suspicious of the quality you get. 800mg is powerful. Try staggering, as some recommended. 

If gabapentin works for you that's great and I'd stick with that and the bupe and when the time comes Imodium.  And  prepare for the shakes and profuse sweating which usually occurs when you d/c opiates.  If I had to go through that again (withdrawals from opiates) I would try (and I have no proof that this would 'work' or 'help') eating some magic truffles to see if psilocybin might help the mind in terms of easing the body's withdrawals.  But again, this is something I might try just to see if it does anything.  Kinda, sorta along the lines of taking LSD for alcoholism (Richard Burton).  Hoping for the best for you.

Really? That's utterly surprising. My wife takes 100mg and says it locks her in bed. Do you have pharma grade quality? There also is pregaba and some other stuff, of which I don't know anything. Mine comes from the doc.
U taking it for chronic pain or op8 withdrawal? 
My brain is resistant to highest dosages of benzos, barbiturates, or morph, including booze, and I can stay awake when everybody else is dead out snoring. Extreme insomniac here, in fact I almost NEVER, in 30 years of using slept without allowing myself todo so and being confi and all. Perhaps twice and then only for an hour. Never woke up in my shoes in bed or such.
800mg Gaba every six hours, get me to sleep 24 hour straight, a miracle for me.

Though everybody is different, but your wife AND you getting no effect from 800mg seems suspicious of the quality you get. 800mg is powerful. Try staggering, as some recommended. 
We were taking it from a family member so I know it was coming straight from an American pharmacy. We were kicking a several year run of f3nt abuse, we were using it every few hours for a very, very long time. We’d have to wake up in the middle of the night and dose so we didn’t start getting sick. There was some morphine and similar substances mixed in there, but mainly f3nt. Was extremely disappointed after reading the glowing reviews everyone else seemed to have lol

Sorry for the put-down. Ftanyl is a tough customer to get rid off. Perhaps my usage was less radical that yours (extended release, patches, mix with other o8p) and gaba was strong enough for me.

Wish you strength. 

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back