Implementing a proper warm up routine

Hammerblow

Spammers
There are many benefits to a properly implemented warmup routine despite the obvious, how many guys have torn their rotator cuff, pulled a muscle or just not had the flexibility to carry out proper form on each exercise. Here are the facts of warming up properly:

Improved nervous system function
Increased sensitivity in nerve receptors

Faster nerve impulse transmissions

Increased core and muscle temperatures
Lower level of muscle viscosity

Improved blood flow to muscles

More efficient uptake of oxygen from blood

Improves muscle flexibility and joint ROM

More forceful contraction and rapid relaxation of muscles

Other benefits
A more thorough lubrication of joint structures

Acclimation of soft tissue to increased loading

Activation of inhibited muscle groups

A marked decrease in the chance of sustaining an injury

Sample Warmup:

No informative writeup would be complete without an example. The sample person here has very weak and inactive gluteals, has internally rotated humeri, and is very tight in the hamstrings, hip flexors, calves, chest, and lats:

Foam Roller:
Hip flexors
IT band
Calves
Lats

Activation Circuit:
Supine Glute Bridges “ 2x10 - 3sec isometric at top (Glutes, duh)
Band Resisted Sidesteps “ 2x12 Each Direction (Glute medius/minimus)
Shoulder Dislocations “ 2x12 (External rotators)
Wall Retractions “ 2x12 (Scapular retractors)

Dynamic Flexibility:
Inch Worms - 2x6
Dorsiflexed Ankle Mobility - 2x12
Shoulder Circles - 2x12 (Each direction)

(Note: Someone requiring this much remedial activation work probably cannot move this kind of weight, but just humor me for example sake)

Specific on Leg Day:
Deadlift 1RM Attempt
95 x 5 No rest
135 x 3, No rest
185 x 3, No rest
225 x 1, 30s rest
255 x 1, 60s rest
285 x 1, 60s rest
305 x 1, Full Recovery

Back Squats
135 x 5, No Rest
185 x 3, 60s Rest
Worksets:
205 “ 3x10

Romanian Deadlifts
135 x 5, No Rest
185 x 3, 60s Rest
Worksets:
225 “ 3x8

DB Lunges
5s x 3, 60s Rest
Worksets:
30s - 3x12

Hope this helps out.

I never bothered to warm up be for a workout. Always thought it was a waste off energy.

One day I went to the gym about 2year ago.  Went straight to the dumb bells to do some bench presses. After a few up and downs I heard this loud click, so did everyone in the gym ( its only a small gym) I thought to myself that didn't sound good, so did another gym user. Carried on for a bit, and had to stop. When I went to get a shower I sat down and my whole middle part of my body felt twisted. Couldn't sit down properly for about 5/6month. Went to the dr and it turned out I tore the cartilage on the front of my rib cage. The dr said it could take a year before I felt normal. If I warmed up would that of happened? 

Never been back to a gym since. It put be wright off feeling twisted to the left lol    

I hate to say it but yes if you had warmed up properly you could've avoided that injury. I'm not saying just because you never warmed up properly that one day tore the cartilage, but with heavy compound movements especially the pressing either barbell or dumbbell press you need to warm up before every session. You need to expand your diaphragm/back with even simple band work and make sure you have full shoulder mobility before you bench. For me that's where I see the most injuries. FYI Dr's will always give you the longest time frame from my experience. You rehab the injury through active recovery to speed up the process. I'm not a  doc but I've been told 6-8 months and been back in the gym in 3. There's  some extremely knowledgable pro's out there who are always happy to help. Kelly starrett, Stan efferding to name a couple. I could give you some more if needed. 

When you got injured and the dr said 6/8 months. You were back in the gym in 3 months working out the area you injured, or you just did another part of your body?  

How do you rate rich piana. I watched a few of his YT vids when he was going to show how easy it was to put on 30lbs of mussel in four months if I remember wright? 

Ignore Rich Piana he might be big and know a lot about ass but he's a lunatic a serious lunatic. 30 pounds of muscle but he was taking crazy doses of aas, eating to much and looked bloated and seriously ill. He put his health at risk for that experiment he admitted that much at the end of it. There's far more knowledgable 'pro's'  Look up Mark Bell super training and Matt vincient  both have been around. But I'd email Stan efferding (he will respond) and get his take.

i was doing active recovery on my injury as well as working the surrounding areas. You need to strengthen them, it's good sometimes to take time off for an injury especially if you tear a pec or something of that nature. But you need to strengthen the injured area or it won't get better the way you'd like and the recovery will be faster..DO NOT GO HEAVY. Band work, stretching, light weight when you feel comfortable to use it and your body will tell you. 

Only mentioned rich because he comes up a suggestion when  watching yt sometimes, because I watched one vid once, then he keeped on popping up.  Thought he must be popular if he gets suggested. 

Was only looking for clips to see different exercises, sometimes you here a exercise but you have no clue what it is. Thought he might be a source of info. 

Maybe once a long time ago but not anymore. Granted he's a successful business man but at what cost. He looks like shit and how many divorces. I like big but prefer the golden era myself.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back