Macronutrients Defined

Hammerblow

Spammers
What Are Macronutrients?

As I have been working in the forums it has come to my attention, the need for the understanding of the importance of diet…There are a huge variety of diets and picking one is an customized plan in itself kinda like being tailored for a suit..In order to understand diet we have to understand the macro side of things so that you know what each are..They are very simple yet very hard to understand how to tie in to your diet if you don’t know what the do just like using preformance enhancement …What good is it if you don’t know what it is and how it effects your body…Let’s get started

What are macronutrients?

Macronutrients are nutrients that provide calories or energy. They can be defined as so:
*The chemical elements humans consume in the largest quantities are carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus, and sulphur, or CHNOPS.

*The classes of chemical compounds humans consume in the largest quantities and which provide bulk energy are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Water and atmospheric oxygen also must be consumed in large quantities, but are not always considered "food" or "nutrients".

*Calcium, salt (sodium and chloride), magnesium, and potassium (along with phosphorus and sulfur) are sometimes added to the list of macronutrients because they are required in large quantities compared to other vitamins and minerals. They are sometimes referred to as the macrominerals.

Nutrients are substances needed for growth, metabolism, and for other body functions. Since “macro” means large, macronutrients are nutrients needed in large amounts.There are three main macronutrients defined:

Carbohydrates are compounds made up of types of sugars. Carbohydrates are classified by their number of sugar units: monosaccharides (such as glucose and fructose), disaccharides (such as sucrose and lactose), oligosaccharides, and polysaccharides (such as starch, glycogen, and cellulose).

Proteins are organic compounds that consist of the amino acids joined by peptide bonds. The body cannot manufacture some of the amino acids (termed essential amino acids); the diet must supply these. In nutrition, proteins are broken down through digestion by proteases back into free amino acids.

Fats consist of a glycerin molecule with three fatty acids attached. Fatty acids are unbranched hydrocarbon chains, connected by single bonds alone (saturated fatty acids) or by both double and single bonds (unsaturated fatty acids). Fats are needed to keep cell membranes functioning properly, to insulate body organs against shock, to keep body temperature stable, and to maintain healthy skin and hair. The body does not manufacture certain fatty acids (termed essential fatty acids) and the diet must supply these.

Carbohydrates

Are the macronutrient that we need in the largest amounts. 1 gram of carbohydrate has a caloric value of 4… Carbohydrates role in the body is:

*The body’s main source of fuel.
*Absolutely necessary for the central nervous system, the kidneys, the brain, the muscles (including the heart) to function properly.
*All of the tissues and cells depend on the glucose for energy source.
*Important in intestinal health and waste elimination.
*Important for increasing protein\ transport. Carbohydrates are mainly found in starchy foods (like grain and potatoes), fruits, milk, and yogurt. Other foods like vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds and cottage cheese contain carbohydrates, but in lesser amounts.

Protein

Another important macronutrient essential for survival. 1 gram of protein has the caloric value of 4, too. Proteins role in the body is:
*Making essential hormones and enzymes
*Growth
*Preserving lean muscle mass
*Tissue repair
*Healthy Immune function
*Energy when carbohydrate is not available

Protein is found in meats, poultry, fish, meat substitutes, cheese, milk, nuts, legumes, and in smaller quantities in starchy foods and vegetables. When we eat protein our body breaks down the protein into amino acids (the building blocks of proteins).

Fats

Really get a bad rap for causing weight gain, BUT some fat is essential for survival. 1 gram of fat has the caloric value of 9..Fat role in the body is:
*Aids normal growth and development
*Absorbing and processing certain vitamins ( i.e. vitamins A, D, E, K, and carotenoids)
*Provides cushioning for the organs
*Maintaining cell membranes
*Energy because fat is the most concentrated

There are three main types of fat: saturated fat, unsaturated fat, and trans fat. Saturated fat (found in foods like meat, butter, lard, and cream) and trans fat (found in baked goods, snack foods, fried foods, and margarines) have been shown to increase your risk for heart disease.

List of Macronutrients

Protein Amino Acids
Standard amino acids
o Alanine
o Arginine
o Aspartic acid (aspartate)
o Asparagine
o Cystine
o Glutamic acid (glutamate)
o Glutamine
o Glycine
o Histidine
o Isoleucine (branched chain amino acid)
o Leucine (branched chain amino acid)
o Lysine
o Methionine
o Phenylalanine
o Proline
o Serine
o Threonine
o Tryptophan
o Tyrosine
o Valine (branched chain amino acid)

Other amino acids
o Theanine
o Semen

Carbohydrates Dietary fiber
Cellulose is an insoluble fiber found in fruits, vegetables and legumes since it is the main property of plant cell walls.

Hemicellulose are composed of several different monosaccharides, this leads to some being insoluble (e,g., celery, lettuce) while others are soluble (e.g, rolled oats, oat bran, etc.).

Pectin is a soluble fiber present in citrus fruits, apples and vegetables. They are also used to thicken jelly since it controls the consistency and texture.

Gums are soluble fiber used as additives for food.

Mucilages are soluble fiber used as food stabilizers.

Lignins are considered to be an insoluble non-polysaccharide fiber. They can be found in small seeds such as in flaxseed, strawberries and carrots.

Lignins Sugars
* Monosaccharides * Fructose * Galactose * Glucose * Disaccharides * Lactose * Maltose * Sucrose * Alcohol Fats Monounsaturated fats * Myristol * Pentadecenoic * Palmitol * Heptadecenoic * Oleic acid * Eicosen * Erucic acid * Nervonic acid

Polyunsaturated fats
* Linoleic acid * Linolenic acid * Stearidon * Eicosatrienoic * Arachidon * EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) - an essential fatty acid * DPA * DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) - an essential fatty acid

Saturated fats
* Butyric acid * Caprioc acid * Caprylic acid * Capric acid * Lauric acid * Myristic acid * Pentadecanoic acid * Palmitic acid * Heptadec acid * Stearic acid * Arachidic acid * Behenate acid * Tetracos acid * Compound acid

Essential fatty acids
* EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) * DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) Other Fats * Omega 3 fatty acids * Omega 6 fatty acids * Trans fatty acids * Cholesterol

Now that we have defined and explained them in detail…What does this have to do with us as bodybuilders, athletes, or even the weekend warriors and those wanting to maintain a healthy diet? I've went into detailed posts about carb cycling, losing weight fast and more technical ways to manipulate your macros but this is explained plain and simple… Now I am going to define these ratios for you because these below are for “the average bear” ; we are different because we require way more for our goals…

Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges
The recommendations for macronutrient ratios in your diet are given as acceptable macronutrient distribution ranges. These ranges represent the percentage of your total calorie intake that should come from each specific nutrient. Note that consuming the macronutrients within these ranges can help you meet your calorie needs, while reducing your risk of developing chronic diseases.

Carbohydrates
Most of the calories in your diet should come from carbohydrates. The AMDR for carbohydrates is 45 to 65 percent of your daily calorie intake. Carbohydrates provide 4 calories per 1 g, so if you require 2,500 calories per day, your carbohydrate intake should range from 282 g of carbohydrates to 406 g of carbohydrates.The Food and Nutrition Board also provides recommendations for a specific type of carbohydrate, fiber. For every 1,000 calories you eat, you should consume 14 g of fiber. If you eat 2,500 calories, you should consume 35 g of fiber. Now for bodybuilders and athletes the percentage is 40-50% carbohydrates in meals

Fat
Fat has the second highest AMDR. Your fat intake should comprise 20 to 35 percent of your daily calories. Fat is the most energy-dense macronutrient, which means it contains the most calories in each gram -- 1 g of fat provides 9 calories. If you consume 2,500 calories per day, your fat intake should range from 56 g to 97 g.Recommendations for fat are further specified by type of fat. Saturated fat, which contributes to high cholesterol and heart disease, should comprise less than 10 percent of your daily calories. Trans fat, which also increases your risk of heart disease, should contribute less than 1 percent of calories. If you consume 2,500 calories per day, you should consume less than 28 g of saturated fat and less than 3 g of trans fat.Now for bodybuilders and athletes we keep the percentage at 20% fats in the meals

Protein
The AMDR for protein is 10 to 35 percent of your daily calories. Like carbohydrates, protein provides 4 calories per 1 g. If you consume 2,500 calories, protein intake should fall between 63 g and 219 g. Because the AMDR for protein is such a wide range, you can also determine your protein needs by your body weight. You should consume 0.8 g of protein for every 1 kg of body weight. If you weigh 150 lbs., or 68.1 kg, this translates to approximately 55 g of protein per day.Now for bodybuilders and ahtletes the percentages is going to be 40-50% because we require more protein for recovery and growth….Our protein calculation is 2-2.5 grams of protein X’s your body weight…People argue but time and time again it has proven to be true

Here are Diet Ratios that can be defined by needs:

Diet Ratios

Low calorie/low carb portion
· Duration - All day on weight training off days and 1/2 day on weight training days.
· Caloric intake - 10-12 x bodyweight
· Macronutrient ratio - 50% protein 30% fat and 20% carbohydrate

High calorie/high carb portion
· Duration - on weight training days only. From the beginning of the weight training session until bedtime.
· Caloric intake - The same amount as you would take in during a normal low calorie day but these calories are to be consumed in a time span of 6-8 hours. ( 10-12 x bw or 1600-1900 calories for a 160-pound individual)
· Macronutrient ratio - 20% protein 5% fat and 75% carbohydrate

Maintenance calorie/carb portion
· Duration - weekends
· Caloric intake - 15 x bodyweight
· Macronutrient ratio - 50% protein 30% fat and 20% carbohydrate

Here’s a good illustration for you to help you understand what I am saying better…Let's take the example of a man such as myself.

My macros would be:
450g Protein - 1800 calories
450g Carbs - 1800 calories
75g Fat - 675 calories

4275 calories total. Not a huge amount of calories, I'm not a huge guy. However, we have to take it a step further.Let's assume the gentleman is a fairly average bodyfat of 15%. His LBM is 170. Unless he's extremely active,he will likely be in the realm of 2500 calories/day (using LBM x 15), give or take a few hundred. Therefore, 4275 is likely a very good starting point, and he will have to monitor closely and adjust from there.I also want to point out again that the macros can be played with slightly to the individuals needs and I've several detailed posts on the matter. i.e. protein can be raised or lowered, carbs can be raised or lowered, or fat can be raised slightly, etc. 

None of this is scientific and requires alot of trial and error. Everybody's body is different, and will react differently to macro distribution, timing, etc.

I hope that I helped you guys understand the basics of this and how it effects you as a whole, whether you are on performance enhancement or not diet is always going to be the decisive factor..I couldn’t sleep last nightt so I thought I would invest my insomnia wisely and help somebody out…I hope I do.

cheers! 

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back