Medical Needs in Disaster Situations

peterpan13

Hi all. Just wondered if anyone has ever been in a disaster zone (Katrina, Alison, Rita, other storms or fires or floods, etc) and had controlled meds destroyed, lost, or contaminated, and how to go about quickly replacing them. How do you prove it? I mean, it's a federally declared disaster, but even the doctors aren't getting people in quickly...any thoughts?

Lot's of thoughts..... what happens if you have one of those little small metal pill containers on your keyring and you get pulled over by an eager Police Officer? Technically, because it isn't in the Rx bottle and if you do not have the Rx with you you can be arrested. Seriously, who carries around full Rx pill bottles? 

I fly a lot ... A LOT! I scanned my Rx into JPEG or PDF and carry a sized down copy in my shaving kit, have a pic of the Rx on my phone AND keep a USB drive (several) securely stashed with Rx and other emergency contact info. I've never had a problem with TSA but do get flagged often because I have many one-way segments. Most TSA agents aren't bad but a few have been pretty ridiculous, and it's usually in smaller regional airports.

Regarding meds in a "disaster zone" .... I would not be worried about showing proof of an Rx. Look at New Orleans and Katrina... that kind of disaster and looters are out in full-force. Pharmacy and liquor stores will be the first hit (next to milk and bread). You should start preparing now and have a 30 day reserve of everything, meds, water, food... right down to toilet paper. Do not count on the Government to save you ... even FEMA says be prepared to stand on your own for at least 72 hours. 

I've done a lot of research on Veterinary meds, in a pinch I would not hesitate to substitute vet anti-antibiotics and have stocked up on several,

Build a kit - Make a plan

http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit  

Last edited:
Lot's of thoughts..... what happens if you have one of those little small metal pill containers on your keyring and you get pulled over by an eager Police Officer? Technically, because it isn't in the Rx bottle and if you do not have the Rx with you you can be arrested. Seriously, who carries around full Rx pill bottles? 

I fly a lot ... A LOT! I scanned my Rx into JPEG or PDF and carry a sized down copy in my shaving kit, have a pic of the Rx on my phone AND keep a USB drive (several) securely stashed with Rx and other emergency contact info. I've never had a problem with TSA but do get flagged often because I have many one-way segments. Most TSA agents aren't bad but a few have been pretty ridiculous, and it's usually in smaller regional airports.

Regarding meds in a "disaster zone" .... I would not be worried about showing proof of an Rx. Look at New Orleans and Katrina... that kind of disaster and looters are out in full-force. Pharmacy and liquor stores will be the first hit (next to milk and bread). You should start preparing now and have a 30 day reserve of everything, meds, water, food... right down to toilet paper. Do not count on the Government to save you ... even FEMA says be prepared to stand on your own for at least 72 hours. 

I've done a lot of research on Veterinary meds, in a pinch I would not hesitate to substitute vet anti-antibiotics and have stocked up on several,

Build a kit - Make a plan

http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit  
Great post CodyKowl! I can attest to the FEMA stand on your own for 72 hrs per Katrina as Louisiana  is my home state.  Thank God I moved!! Couple corrupt government & a disaster and you are fucked. So yes, best to have reserves 4 sure.

I don't live in an area where thunderstorms or hurrycans could blow my home away, but I've had situations in my life
(Tschernobyl, Anthrax shit after 9/11, mass deseases like bird flue) where I was glad that I had my 3 month reserve.

I exchange it from time to time (not the PKs, because these I only need after a car accident which has nothing to do
with the issues stated above) and as long as I can be sure that I have them availabe when needed, that gives me a feeling of
security.

Probably crazy, but thats me.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back