Need Advice On Graduation Gift..

Swill369

My oldest daughter will graduate high school next week and I am at a complete loss! She lives with my exwife and we do not have the best communication with regards to our children. I don't have a great deal of money to spend on a graduation gift, but I want it to be something that she will keep/remember for a lifetime. Any recommendations based off personal experience? I think I've read every guide that I could find on the Internet and just couldn't find something that caught my eye.

Don't know what you're looking at in terms of budget, but my dad, God rest his soul, took me skydiving for graduation. Not as expensive as you might think, and I promise that she'd NEVER forget it. I realize leaping out of aircraft isn't for everyone, but I thought it couldn't hurt to chime in with what for me is a very special personal memory.

Another idea that I just did for my daughter on the occasion of her 8th grade graduation (coming up next week actually) was to find a picture of something we did together when she was a toddler, sort of a "first", like a first trip to the zoo, etc., and then return to the same location and revisit the activity again together. In my case, I found a picture of her and I the first time I took her to Dairy Queen when she was 2. We went and had ice cream together, had an employee take our picture in the same spot we were in 12 years ago, and then I made an 8x10 side by side collage of the two pictures, printed it and framed it for her. She loved it, and even shed some tears. Without a doubt the best $25 I've ever spent, inclusive of the frame and the ice cream.

Good luck, and congratulations on your little girl reaching this significant milestone in her life. My son will be reaching the same milestone soon, and it's been a real challenge dealing with the idea of entering the "empty nest" phase of my life, but that's another discussion entirely!

Have a great evening.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: _X_
Don't know what you're looking at in terms of budget, but my dad, God rest his soul, took me skydiving for graduation. Not as expensive as you might think, and I promise that she'd NEVER forget it. I realize leaping out of aircraft isn't for everyone, but I thought it couldn't hurt to chime in with what for me is a very special personal memory.

Another idea that I just did for my daughter on the occasion of her 8th grade graduation (coming up next week actually) was to find a picture of something we did together when she was a toddler, sort of a "first", like a first trip to the zoo, etc., and then return to the same location and revisit the activity again together. In my case, I found a picture of her and I the first time I took her to Dairy Queen when she was 2. We went and had ice cream together, had an employee take our picture in the same spot we were in 12 years ago, and then I made an 8x10 side by side collage of the two pictures, printed it and framed it for her. She loved it, and even shed some tears. Without a doubt the best $25 I've ever spent, inclusive of the frame and the ice cream.

Good luck, and congratulations on your little girl reaching this significant milestone in her life. My son will be reaching the same milestone soon, and it's been a real challenge dealing with the idea of entering the "empty nest" phase of my life, but that's another discussion entirely!

Have a great evening.....
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've never thought about something such as the skydiving option, but I was airborne qualified while on active duty and she has always asked what it was like to jump out of a plane. So, a graduation gift and a answer to her question at the same time??.. I'm going to look into that. I believe it's about a hours drive to the closest place that offers skydiving, maybe combine that with the weekend flight course they offer. Just make a weekend of the whole thing and have dinner one of the nights and present her with a iPad with the videos/pictures of her growing up playing as a slideshow? Sorry guys, just kind of thinking out loud here. Thoughts???

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've never thought about something such as the skydiving option, but I was airborne qualified while on active duty and she has always asked what it was like to jump out of a plane. So, a graduation gift and a answer to her question at the same time??.. I'm going to look into that. I believe it's about a hours drive to the closest place that offers skydiving, maybe combine that with the weekend flight course they offer. Just make a weekend of the whole thing and have dinner one of the nights and present her with a iPad with the videos/pictures of her growing up playing as a slideshow? Sorry guys, just kind of thinking out loud here. Thoughts???
I think that's an incredible idea exactly as described! I wouldn't change a thing. With your airborne qualification and her prior expression of interest, I'm certain that she'd absolutely love it. Add in the flight course and a dinner with dad, complete with an iPad and a photo stream slideshow of her childhood years, and I'd say you've just found the formula for a lifelong memory that she'll always cherish. I'm excited for you just thinking about it. I can't tell you how many hundreds of times I've shared that experience with people over the past 25 years or so, and I remember it every time I think of dad. It'll be the best money you ever spent. No doubt about it!

hooter1 said:
You are SO gonna 1 up the other parent lol

Perfect
I hope so..!! Lol! As long as my little girl is happy, I could care less! I've got one graduating high school and one that graduated kindergarten last night, so ill plan ahead better for my youngest! Thanks for everyone's help and comments. Ill update everyone after graduation.

hooter1 said:
Kinda curious to see how it went???
It went great. Well, in the end it did. When we initially went up for our jump she hesitated and I can understand that, but everyone was very understanding and accommodating. After about 15 minutes she finally decided that she was ready to make her jump(tandem with instructor) I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone scream like that on a jump, but once she got her bearings I guess you could say she enjoyed it very much. You get a video with the jump and the first 10 seconds of it are priceless! We had a good laugh about it though. We didn't get to do the flight course though and I really hate that. With upcoming obligations I just couldn't afford it. So, we went to dinner afterwards and I have her the ipad with the slideshow running on it and it was a very bittersweet moment for me. The realization hit in that she's not my little girl anymore took a lot out of me. It was hard not to break down in tears. We haven't always had the best of relationship due to the divorce, but that day seemed to have brought us closer and that's all I ever really cared about anyways.

It went great. Well, in the end it did. When we initially went up for our jump she hesitated and I can understand that, but everyone was very understanding and accommodating. After about 15 minutes she finally decided that she was ready to make her jump(tandem with instructor) I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone scream like that on a jump, but once she got her bearings I guess you could say she enjoyed it very much. You get a video with the jump and the first 10 seconds of it are priceless! We had a good laugh about it though. We didn't get to do the flight course though and I really hate that. With upcoming obligations I just couldn't afford it. So, we went to dinner afterwards and I have her the ipad with the slideshow running on it and it was a very bittersweet moment for me. The realization hit in that she's not my little girl anymore took a lot out of me. It was hard not to break down in tears. We haven't always had the best of relationship due to the divorce, but that day seemed to have brought us closer and that's all I ever really cared about anyways.
That's just awesome man, congrats! I have no doubts at all that she'll remember that moment fondly the rest of her life, and it'll be a story she tells her grandchildren about their great-grandfather! Well done sir, and hey, real men aren't afraid to shed tears. I bought my son his first car today, and believe me, the water works were put to the test. I do have to disagree with you on one thing though. She'll ALWAYS be your little girl. Nothing could be more certain, and I'm confident that the ladies of DBG would be glad to confirm that for you!

I walk in your shoes my friend and the above seriously put tears in my eyes.  I'm very happy for you that you were able to have such a special day with your daughter.  S-

Thanks for all the kind words, ideas, insight, etc. It was a DBG group effort, thanks!
At DBG, we're a family, and that's what families do brother! I'm just really, really happy for you and your daughter. Seriously, what an awesome experience!

I just read through this and want to say, memories with Dads here or gone hold some kind of special magic.  Maybe it is because the assumption is that men are not as commonly orchestrating memorable and planned celebrations, but the assumption is not correct (as this group and mission accomplished event proves beautifully).

Great job to you "Dad"  and a very gracious group effort of support to all members who got involved.

Just wanted to jump in and add a update to this thread. A few weeks back my daughter decided that she wanted to move in with me, she had been going through some issues lately and turned to other means to deal with them. This past Thursday was the hardest thing that I've ever had to do in my life and that was to put my daughter into a inpatient treatment facility. I had my first visitation with her today and she seems like my little girl again with her happiness and outlook on the future. I'm hoping that she will follow through with the program and get better. I greatly miss seeing a smile on her face. Everyone's thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated!

I'd like to take Jewy skydiving again...(without his own parachute) /default_biggrin.png

Just wanted to jump in and add a update to this thread. A few weeks back my daughter decided that she wanted to move in with me, she had been going through some issues lately and turned to other means to deal with them. This past Thursday was the hardest thing that I've ever had to do in my life and that was to put my daughter into a inpatient treatment facility. I had my first visitation with her today and she seems like my little girl again with her happiness and outlook on the future. I'm hoping that she will follow through with the program and get better. I greatly miss seeing a smile on her face. Everyone's thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated!
Wish her all the best in recovery.

Xegh

I wish her all the best. Keep an eye on her old friends or who's she hanging out with when she gets out. They'll wanna pull her back into the shade.

I had a similar situation with my daughter earlier in the year. Her father decided to end his life and in turn turned hers upside down. After several months I knew I had to do something before she did. She has been regulated on her antidepressants for almost 3 months now and is like a different person. It was hard to do this with her totally against it but in the end I think I saved her life. You will see that smile on her face again and she will thank you someday like my daughter did. I know you are hurting now, but if you need to vent or talk you have a great support system here in this group. Hang in there and look forward to better days with your daughter.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back