NSAIDs for muscle soreness after training

Zottman

Funny to read an article about this from last year, bodybuilding . com must be running out of material and re-writing old articles from the vaults.  From April 6, last year:

Feeling sore after your last workout? Before you reach for an NSAID like ibuprofen, here's what you need to know about how OTC pain relievers can affect muscle growth.

However, before you reach for that bottle of pain pills after your next brutal workout, get the story on how they might impact your results.

...there are also performance side effects for the weightlifter to consider. Drugs such as ibuprofen are classified as COX inhibitors, and since COX (cyclooxygenase) activity is a critical component of muscular hypertrophy, there's a clear link: Ibuprofen can inhibit muscular hypertrophy.  In fact, previous research suggests that treatment with ibuprofen can reduce muscle hypertrophy by almost 50 percent, which means that taking a COX inhibitor may very well be counterproductive for muscle gains.
Veeery  interesting.  Except that back in 2002, the group of researchers Trappe, T. A., White, F., Lambert, C. P., Cesar, D., Hellerstein, M., & Evans, W. J. published a study in the  American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism titled Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis that came to the same conclusion.

13 years ago.

Now I'm not the kind of ultra-scientific bodybuilder who subscribes to periodicals like The American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, I have no illusions about being the next Dan Duchaine, but there are trainers and bodybuilders, even power-lifters who read this kind of stuff religiously, and they tell a friend,  who tells a few more friends, until before too long some ambitious writer at one of the Muscle rags picks up on it, orders a copy of the original research, makes it readable for normal humans, and gets it picked by an editor for a front page blurb, hoping that article will make the rag sell 30% more copies than usual and maybe even sell a few hundred subscriptions - That's how you get to be a staff writer, the first step to becoming an associate editor.

This was big news in 2002-2003 (I haven't touched an NSAID for muscle soreness since I first read about it in one of the rags - If I'm absolutely so sore that I can't function, which is rare, I'll take a Tr@madol (for the pain) and a Valium (as a muscle relaxer), and by the next day I'm fine).

So before you shell out $7.50 for a Muscle rag because it has an interesting cover blurb, instead, read the introduction to the article itself right there in the bookstore, then google the subject matter on your phone, or later, when you get home.  9 times out of 10 you'll find the original study behind the article, and that 10th time, you may have to send the publication $10 - $15 for a full copy of the article, because it is behind a paywall.  Original research is always better than an abridged version of it in a Muscle rag.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back