One of our dogs has lymphoma

Biteme

We found out today there is quite likely that are dog Harry, a beagle, has lymphoma, although we're still waiting to get the bioposy results. We got him about 5-6 months ago from the shelter & they were having trouble finding a home for him because he was almost 8 & had some behavior and health issues. He was already getting treatment for chronic pain due to either arthritis or a badly healed injury and for a chronic (multi-year) ear infection, and we had recently started him on something for anxiety because he would have the dog-equivalent of panic attacks as well as a lot of other behaviors I'd associate with anxiety (like going through the house & checking every room before settling down). Now they've got him on pregnizone with the possibility of chemo as well. The former will give him another 6 months and the latter a year, and the latter a year, but everything I've heard about chemo in human makes it sound like a pretty miserable experience & I don't know if it's worth it for him. We want to make his time a comfortable as possible.

We haven't told my daughter, who's 9, yet what to expect, other than saying he's very sick. We're all pretty upset about it, but I think it will be hardest on her since she really love animals. She lost a horse she used to ride a couple years ago & that was tough even though he didn't live with us.

Anyone have experience with a dog with lymphoma?

I'm really sorry about this. It's hard enough for you to deal with, but adding a daughter who loves him makes it twice as difficult. Thank goodness for kind hearted people like you for giving Harry a loving home for his final months and accepting him, quirks and all. I hope his quality of life stays good as long as possible.

We found out today there is quite likely that are dog Harry, a beagle, has lymphoma, although we're still waiting to get the bioposy results. We got him about 5-6 months ago from the shelter & they were having trouble finding a home for him because he was almost 8 & had some behavior and health issues. He was already getting treatment for chronic pain due to either arthritis or a badly healed injury and for a chronic (multi-year) ear infection, and we had recently started him on something for anxiety because he would have the dog-equivalent of panic attacks as well as a lot of other behaviors I'd associate with anxiety (like going through the house & checking every room before settling down). Now they've got him on pregnizone with the possibility of chemo as well. The former will give him another 6 months and the latter a year, and the latter a year, but everything I've heard about chemo in human makes it sound like a pretty miserable experience & I don't know if it's worth it for him. We want to make his time a comfortable as possible.

We haven't told my daughter, who's 9, yet what to expect, other than saying he's very sick. We're all pretty upset about it, but I think it will be hardest on her since she really love animals. She lost a horse she used to ride a couple years ago & that was tough even though he didn't live with us.

Anyone have experience with a dog with lymphoma?
I have. I had a Jack Russell.We did opt to have him undergo chemo. That treatment really did not have really bad effects on him. He did loose his eyelashes. He still had his fiesty attitude, and he ate well, and still liked to chase squirrels. Towards the end you could tell that he was getting tired. We did the treatments for a year. One morning I could tell he was in distress, so we were going to do the inevitable, we were going to take him to the vet's and have him "put to sleep". I picked him up, told him I loved him, and he died in my arms. 

I think that chemo for dogs is not as bad as it is for humans. I really don't know. Each situation is different. You could try it and see what his reaction is. You can tell how he responds and take it from there. I do know that I was grateful for that extra year that we had with him.

He was a rescue as well. I think they are so grateful that someone wanted to give them a "forever home", that they will try their best to please you.

In my heart I know that I made the best decision for both him & me.

Keep me posted on what you intend to do. It's a heartbreaker, and if I can help let me know.

T

After looking at the treatment options, we decided not to go with chemo. Harry is a very anxious dog & freaks out in any kind of institutional setting--so much that the vet prescribed him X@n@x after seeing him & we just think he'd be miserable going in to the vet repeatedly. He has been taking predisone & the cancer went in remission for now, but we're told it will come back in a couple months, so we'll do our best to make him happy until then.

SORRY to hear about your dog and I want you to know that people like you have to be the BEST  human beings in this world!

Adopting  him  from a shelter is and makes you so wonderful , he knows his time in this world may be numbered , YOU gave him love and now comfort and this will be passed on to you in time. You really are what makes this world go round! 

G.B. you!

my sympathy at this time,

Alley 

So sorry to hear of your pup's health condition. 

Thank you so much for saving an older dog from a shelter.

People, animals, we never know how much time we have here.  

We lost 2 dogs, both 14 and 1 cat, 18 with various health conditions, within 18 months of each other.  At the time our daughter was 5 1/2-7 yrs.  It was shocking and painful especially to see our young child grieving.  We did wait until their final days to tell her just how sick they were as we didn't want her to stress all the time for a long time. Of course she knew they werent 100%. Whether that was right or wrong, I'm not sure, but it was good for us/her.

Hugs to pup

My daughter is 9, but she's nonverbal & nonambulatory due to an undiagnosed genetic condition. She does talk using an eye-gaze device (a computer guided by the movement of her eyes) but her use of that is limited so she really can't ask complicated questions. We had just told her Harry was sick & she can start to see it, but I think she understands a lot more. We were playing a game of Life on her ipad, where you chose an occupation etc & she got the job of veterinarian then she looked at Harry & started crying. 

Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone for their well wishes and advice.

Oh dear. That's a hearbreaker. I'm sure she senses what is going on with poor Harry. Children tend to bounce back better than adults though and I hope that will be the case with your daughter. Gosh, I was practically in tears reading that. I can't imagine how you are feeling. :(

I'm sorry to say we had to put Harry to sleep yesterday. He was doing fine until Thursday afternoon when he threw up and became very listless & he started hemorrhaging that night. It all happened very fast.

My daughter did OK. She probably cried less than my wife & I, although she wasn't there with him at the end. She seems very concerned about the whereabouts etc of our other dog, Polly, who is thankfully young & healthy. Thanks again to everyone for their concern.

I am so sorry for your loss. The  loss of a valalued and loved family member  you know( even if they are all furry) can be literally gut wrenching. My first pup was a beagle named bowser.  When Bowser died she was 17 first time I ever seen my father cry the next time was when his mother died.this probably off topic but I think my Pops cried during Old Yellerrt also  so maybe he's not the best example of toughness. . So Sad sorry for your !!! As you may or may not have realized already I am a brand noob here so thank you for welcoming me into your group

I'm really sorry to hear about Harry. I gets better but you never forget them.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back