Overview of Hypogonadism

Hammerblow

Spammers
Male hypogonadism is a clinical syndrome resulting from a failure of the testes to produce physiological levels of testosterone (androgen deficiency), sperm, or both, because of disruption of one or more levels of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis.1 Hypogonadism can occur in men of any age, however, there is a progressive decline in testosterone levels as men age. Late-onset hypogonadism (LOH; age-related hypogonadism) is a clinical and biochemical syndrome associated with advancing age and characterized by symptoms and a deficiency in serum testosterone levels below the young healthy adult male reference range of approximately 10–35 nmol/L (300–1000 ng/dL).2,3 

Unlike the clearly defined decrease in hormone levels associated with female menopause, the decline in androgen levels with advancing age in men is gradual and variable, and the late-onset hypogonadism is more appropriate than the colloquial terms “male menopause” or “andropause ” to refer to the annual decrease in testosterone levels of 0.5% to 2% which occur with advancing age, independent of chronic conditions associated with aging.4

Although hypogonadism is a relatively common disorder, the exact prevalence is uncertain. However, it is clear that hypogonadism affects a significant proportion of the aging male population and its incidence can be expected to increase as a result of the aging population, increased life expectancy, and the increasing prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome, obesity, and other risk factors for hypogonadism. 

Using the standardized and widely-used AMS scale, the prevalence of moderate-to-severe hypogonadism was estimated at approximately 20% in European men aged over 50 years.5 Thus, in the European Union, approximately 81 million men aged 50 years and over are at risk of hypogonadism. 

The AMS (Aging Males’ Symptoms) scale is a 17-point self-rating questionnaire designed to help assess the symptoms of testosterone deficiency and monitor treatment-related changes if a diagnosis of hypogonadism is confirmed and testosterone replacement therapy initiated. 

When hypogonadism is defined on the basis of a combination of testosterone and signs and symptoms according to the current Endocrine Society guidelines1, other population-based studies have estimated an overall prevalence in men aged 30 years and over of 5.6%, rising to 18.4% among 70-year olds.6 Approximately 40% of men aged 45 years or over (mean age 60.5 years; range 45–96 years) screened in primary care had hypogonadism (defined as testosterone <300 ng/dL), with significantly higher rates in men with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, obesity, diabetes, prostate disease, and asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.7 However, despite hypogonadism affecting a substantial proportion of the adult male population, only a small proportion are being treated for hypogonadism and, according to independent medical policy analysis, the condition is probably underdiagnosed.8 

Table1: Estimates of Men in Europe at Risk of Hypogonadism 
(numbers in millions; estimates made around 2006). 

Region Age 50–64 Age 65–79 Age 80+ 
Whole European Union 42.53 29.61 9.63 
France 5.32 3.45 1.36 
Germany 6.48 5.21 1.58 
Ireland 0.33 0.17 0.04 
Italy 5.23 4.17 1.46 
Spain 3.44 3.25 1.23 
United Kingdom 4.99 3.26 1.23 
Figures from Carruthers M. The Aging Male 2009; 12(1):21-28 

How are men affected by hypogonadism?
The essential role of testosterone in the health and well-being of males is well established. Testosterone is responsible for typical male sexual characteristics and is required for a healthy life physically and psychologically, enabling and maintaining erectile function, libido, and overall sexual satisfaction. Testosterone also helps to maintain body composition and bone mass, positive mood, and physical energy. Accordingly, the health consequences of hypogonadism can be quite wide-ranging, and include fatigue, depression, erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, loss of facial and body hair, decrease in muscle mass, development of gynecomastia , and osteoporosis. 

Low testosterone can be diagnosed by an assessment of symptoms and a blood test to measure testosterone levels. If tests confirm hypogonadism, a range of different testosterone replacement therapies and formulations are available to normalize testosterone levels.

How important is it to treat hypogonadism?
There are clearly established links between hypogonadism and depression, cardiovascular risk, diabetes and metabolic syndrome, osteoporosis, and other chronic illnesses. 

Low testosterone values are also associated with increased mortality, even after adjusting for age, comorbidities, and other clinical covariates. 

Figure: Reduced Survival in Men with Low Testosterone Levels 
Testosterone replacement therapy can improve libido, mood, increase bone density, and improve body composition and quality of life in hypogonadal men. Treatment may also improve insulin resistance, reduce central obesity, and improve other risk factors for cardiovascular disease.Current treatment and controversies

Current treatment and controversies
Testosterone replacement therapy forms the core of treatment for all types of hypogonadism. A number of different androgen preparations and dosage forms are available, including injections, gels, skin patches, and capsules, and treatment can be individualized to achieve the goal of returning testosterone to physiological levels. 

Correct diagnosis of hypogonadism is essential before treatment is initiated. However, the diagnosis of hypogonadism has been the subject of controversy, and there is debate about threshold levels for determining hypogonadism, the ideal manner in which to measure testosterone levels, and whether total testosterone, free testosterone, or bioavailable testosterone is the most appropriate hormone fraction to use in determining hypogonadism. In particular, the high prevalence of hypogonadism symptoms in the aging male population and the non-specific nature of these symptoms can make diagnosis difficult, and there is increasing consensus that hypogonadism should be defined by a combination of low testosterone levels and the presence of one or more signs or symptoms of hypogonadism. 

The recommendations of recent international consensus documents on the diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of hypogonadism are outlined in the Diagnosis section. Testosterone replacement therapy is generally associated with a wide margin of safety and good tolerability. However, as with any clinical intervention, the initiation of testosterone replacement therapy should be undertaken on a balance of risk versus benefit. At present, limited data are available about the long-term safety in elderly men, and discussion about if and when to treat late-onset hypogonadism continues. If a diagnosis of hypogonadism is confirmed (symptoms and total testosterone levels between 8–12 nmol/L [231–346 ng/dL]) and the patient is without contraindications, testosterone replacement therapy can be considered. 

Peace ✌️ 

R

Great post and many should check their T levels before taking antidepressants. Low T can manifest as depression. My quality of life was made significantly better by having TRT

I have Read in Studies that Men don't necessarily get Lower Testosterone due to Aging by itself but from the Decline in Health from when Men Age which makes total sense since Testosterone Levels being extremely low are highly dependant on Diet for a Number One Example. I remember reading of a Post of a Mid 20s Aged Male with less than 300 NG/ML or whatever they Call the 300-1000/1200 to be the Normal Range I think he was in the mid 200s for his Testosterone and the Dr. said it was most likely caused by his horrible Diet and lack of exercise with things like Smoking being the main Factors that it was during his TEENAGE YEARS that he had REALLY BAD HEALTH CHOICES compared to if he was not a Teenager Growing Up which makes it all more sensitive. 

I'm just wondering how accurate those Studies are since I have read of Men 60+ Years old with my Dad being nearly 70 having good health and probably Genetics play a Role in how Low your Testosterone Levels are and I don't know what my Dads Levels are since I don't want to ask about things that are non of my business. 

@porkandbeansboy of course external factors such as diet, lifestyle etc  will play a role in your natural test levels of a ‘healthy’ male. A man who has a good diet, bmi, exercises, doesn’t smoke and drinks in moderation will have a higher natural test then someone who is the polar opposite. But theses levels can be recovered by changing your lifestyle if you don’t have a condition directly affecting your ability to produce test. 

The studies however are extremely accurate as it’s fact that the older you get the lower you testosterone levels get its part ageing and muscle depreciation. You may get some genetic outliers (dexter Jackson) but most men reaching 50 and over that are jacked will be supplementing with artificial testosterone/hgh to obtain and maintain muscle mass and energy  levels to workout as you simply do not have the same levels as you did when you were younger. 

Its an unfortunate side effect of living, your body just like everything else in life the longer it operates the more it depreciates over time. How you look after it plays a big role but ultimately you cannot deny science. But there’s massive strides being made in other areas outwith test and hgh supplementing  into older age that will change everything! There will be a day when 70 is the new 40. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You for the answer your very knowledgeable about this for obvious reason plus personal experience I assume. I Read that they encourage Doctors to not just give TRT to Men that have Low Testosterone from simply just Aging since like you said Diet like things such as Olive Oil and Coconut Oil have done wonders for Me and my Sex Drive which TRT and Sex Drive basically I Read Natural Testosterone works better for that but we do not know conclusively how much it affects Sex Drive Directly or Indirectly. 

Again this is some I just read in an Article that I did not actually decide that I needed to Research about it. I am simply curious about your own humble and personal opinion about it. Since I believe if your like 70 Years old TRT has a lot of Side-Effects and not to mention like you mentioned how Ageing is just part of how are body breaks down. I forget what the reasoning was but it was basically if you need to put Older Men on TRT it's fine but it's encouraged/discouraged to not do it just because a Man is 40 Years Old and wants TRT it might be Recommended to try the many other Natural alternatives first I am only assuming that is as I never ever Researched this Article and why they Discourage Men who have Lower T just from simply Ageing compared to Health Issues causing Hypogonadism.

In my experience PERSONALLY and from Reading about people trying to get on and are on TRT the Doctors don't really know jack shit like the Testosterone Levels when it comes to determining whether someone needs TRT and to get on it whether they have "high enough levels to normal" or not. From what I Read they don't mean much considering some Men have ZERO Symptoms of Low Testosterone yet have like REALLY Low Levels past the "Normal Range" of Testosterone. I was told I don't need TRT because I got 320 Free Testosterone Levels. I am not exactly old so I think that is why the Dr. who is a G.P. told Me that "Well your T Levels are fine as your in the Normal Range so he doesn't know what an Endocrinologist would know about TRT. I believe my Levels are Low due to the Fact I am on Opioids to Treat my back Pain and they directly Inhibit the Luteinizing hence it Lowers Testosterone Levels directly. 

Again looking for your Input/Humble Opinion since I am not Young enough that if I got off the Opioids which is not possible with my permanent and worsening back pain my Doctor said will just get worse as I get older and I am considering getting on TRT but it pisses Me off knowing that he won't even consider referring Me to a Endocrinologist because I'm not an Old ass man. 

I was hesitant to make this Post as I hate double Posting but I can't Edit my Post. We both can agree when it comes to bodybuilding it is 90% Diet that is important not so much AAS etc. etc. that play a role. So which is more important maintaining healthy lifestyle or is it equally as important/affects Testosterone Levels as aging. It's impossible to Study that is like trying to find out if the Human brain still functions for like 10 seconds after Death or some like that which might be just an old Myth that has been Studied and disproven idk... how can you study these things when it comes to aging Vs. Lifestyle Health Affecting your Testosterone lowering without a time machine or something. 

I hope this explains it better of what I was trying to convey/debate. In case things got lost in translation I apologize if that happened and I really really wish I could pay 100USD to have more time to Edit my Posts which I might just do that when my current Sponsor Donation runs out assuming I make Money investing in Bitcoin. 

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back