headbanger

V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
I have a Toshiba Satellite P775
about 2 years old and a letter or number will automatically go crazy and repeat
itself is a search box or that big www row at the top of the screen. It almost
always start in that search box in the bottom left hand corner, sorry I don't
know names of this stuff. Anyway if I bang on a few keys like delete or escape
it stops but then I have to delete a string of like 100 p's or 4's.

I bought a wireless keyboard but it still happens. I thought I
set the default to the wireless but it still happens. The IT guy at work agreed
to look at it but did not want to mess it up so he was careful.  He opened up the case and he thought he
unhooked the ribbon connection to the main keyboard. Well it worked, it stopped
the letters from repeating but the numbers still did. It was not as bad as with
the letters but soon went back to everything again.

I love this computer but I'm not going to to
spend like 100+ to fix but everything else works fine. I spent $350 new it has
a 17# screen. Like I said everything else works but that repeating bullshit can
get aggravating and I really don’t want to drop another 300 bucks.

My last laptop was a gateway
and that lasted like 7 years at by that time it was time to get some brand
spanking new technology.

Any ideas guys/gals on a fix?

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a little confusing.  you are still having repeating numbers from a wireless keyboard?

from the ground up, i would first recommend getting some Dust Off (compressed air duster), you know, for electronics and such and blow the keyboard really good.  the main one i am referring to.  sometimes 'shit' for lack of a better word gets into, inside, below the keys.  dust, liquid, spilled food and other debris can get lodged in there and may cause repeating keys, stuck keys, or just non working keys... best i can say at this point. old computers collect debris.  always maintain your equipment and your good to go.

not sure if this helps, but hey.  any more details would be nice.  it could possibly be the mother board.  or possibly software glitch.  restarting and rebooting may work, has that ever helped out.  simple things like that go a long way.  to me it does sound like a software or hardware glitch in your system.

is this a laptap, or desktop computer as well???    did you try pulling the battery out and back in.... ground up.  like before though, if its hardware, you may be SOOL, and moolah as you may have to purchase another.  you can get a nice laptop, e-Machine for like $300-$500... 

hope anything in this rambling helps.  and more info would be even better. 

regards,

OG

444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

Look above. That is the first thing that happened when I went to type the reply. Some of the actual letters buttons have come off, the 4 being one of them, It seems the ones that went dead first and fell off are the ones that repeat although other buttons that have not fallen off repeat too. I don't know shit about laptops so I'm sorry about my explanations. I think the motherboard still overrides the wireless.keyboard

Most of the buttons on the laptop keyboard are dead. I just tried typing all of the letters as seen below(I typed this sentence on the wireless).

ertyuiop[]dfghjkl;'cvbnm,./

I think it probally needs a new keyboard at the very least. I really love this computer though. 17" screen. Bought it in Delaware, no sales tax for like $370.

Thanks  Obie Goat

1316446300-toshiba-satellite-p755s5274-156inch-led-laptop-3.jpg

lol, nice gesture!

is that the actual picture of the laptop that has the f'ed up keys?  that thing looks brand new with no wear or tear, and it doesn't look like any buttons have fallen off...

if you are saying the buttons are falling off and such, that is certainly not a good thing! lol that can cause major malfunctions...

you could try a hot-fix as a troubleshoot... if that doesn't work than more research is required.  or i could just say flat out that your keyboard is defective... and try to find a way to replace it, as i see you have with a wireless?  or its the other way around, either end, you could be simply looking at faulty engineering/manufacturing or an outside influence that has caused it to malfunction.  perhaps any major abuse on it in its limited lifetime? lol  and thus resulting in cost of ownership... warranties?  none the less money out the pocket.  you aren't the only one this shit happens too as well. :/

and your welcome... glad to help.  still, hope this helps... /default_smile.png

regards, and best of luck

OG

Try going into the BIOS and disable the built in kb, that should let your new one work. I would also suggest getting a regular USB wired kb instead of a wireless. Most of the time it will detect a USB kb and you won't have to worry about getting in the BIOS, it might shut down the internal kb after detecting the USB.

I practically stopped trying to fix computers after laptops, tablets, Win 7 and now 8 all became popular. I'm currently trying to build a new DT, which will be Win 7 64 bit. Got just about all I need, except the mobo and CPU. /default_ohmy.png

Try going into the BIOS and disable the built in kb, that should let your new one work. I would also suggest getting a regular USB wired kb instead of a wireless. Most of the time it will detect a USB kb and you won't have to worry about getting in the BIOS, it might shut down the internal kb after detecting the USB.
excellent point, HT!  USB is certainly another option.  checking keyboard options is another possible option, yet if it worked before and suddenly did this, perhaps its not that, but malfunctioning, needs to be repaired.  spilled liquids can wreak havoc... :/ lol

peace

OG

excellent point, HT!  USB is certainly another option.  checking keyboard options is another possible option, yet if it worked before and suddenly did this, perhaps its not that, but malfunctioning, needs to be repaired.  spilled liquids can wreak havoc... :/ lol

peace

OG
Yep, definitely malfunctioning now. I love the show Workaholics, and your post reminds me when one of the guys went to get his Mac looked at. The repairman says, among other things,...."and your keyboard seems to have a lot of dried semen under it!" :/ indeed. 

I'm sure that's not your problem 'banger, we're just having a little fun. If the keys are coming off it might be best to go ahead and look for a permanent replacement. I know it's going to cost what seems like too much. After my brief foray into attempting repairs on those damn little Rubik Cubes I have nothing but respect for those who can figure out how to disassemble and put one back together, working at that!

Almost any model has a disassembly video on youtube, those people posting them are great too. And a new replacement kb usually isn't too hard to find. If you want to do it yourself and can't find the parts PM me and I'll give you the addy of a great site to get free help from. /default_smile.png

Best of luck, HT.

Yep, definitely malfunctioning now. I love the show Workaholics, and your post reminds me when one of the guys went to get his Mac looked at. The repairman says, among other things,...."and your keyboard seems to have a lot of dried semen under it!" :/ indeed. 
LMFAO!  its just a natural bodily function...  no,  too early??? LOL what a riot!  but of course, most likely not the case.

best of luck HB.  do some head banging to some Pantera or Down,  Tool is just as valuable (especially, Undertow), ya!?  hahaha

be careful of backlash... ouch!

take it easy.

OG

LMFAO!  its just a natural bodily function...  no,  too early??? LOL what a riot!  but of course, most likely not the case.

best of luck HB.  do some head banging to some Pantera or Down,  Tool is just as valuable (especially, Undertow), ya!?  hahaha

be careful of backlash... ouch!

take it easy.

OG

You're a riot! I'm sure I'd love to party with you, but probably have to meet somewhere in the middle on the music. Honestly I'm not too familiar with most of them but I'm sure you enjoy some Hendrix and Zeppelin. The closest I can likely come to yours from what I know is Sabbath or Ozzy. If we get good and mellow we can through some Pink Floydd in there too. /default_wink.png

not to throw the thread toooooo off topic... but hell yes, HT, i can dig me some good oldies rock and roll!  all of those are good references, very good stuff, "All Along the Watchtower"...  my adolescence was the 90's grunge heavy metal era... /default_smile.png apart from the ones i listed, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Weezer, and A Perfect Circle, Etc...

but not to mention some Bob Dylan, man! /default_wink.png CCR (Credence Clearwater Revival) and some good ole Animals will do the trick, speaking of old Rock. ACDC, there are so many others as i also was heavily influenced by oldies music by my mother growing up...

take it easy, bro!

OG

I'm always taking a thread somewhere it wasn't meant to go, but HB knows where to come back to if he needs more help. I hope he doesn't think he got a buch of replies telling him how to fix his LT though. /default_ohmy.png

Yeah, I knew we would have some common ground in music. It's hard to find anyone who really enjoys it that can't find some of our bands to be acceptable. 

I enjoyed reminiscing but don't want to reveal how close I am to getting my AARP membership. lol...Because of my disability I'm already able to enjoy the benefits of a Silver Sneakers program to get a gym membership. 

Enjoy your evening my friend, HT.

I don't write lol much but you guys are alright. The picture at the top was just an example. I'll try the wired keyboard. Thank god I don't drink otherwise I probally would have used a hammer to try and fix it.

When it not repeating characters it works good. It's good about 75% of the time.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll have to borrow a keyboard from work and give it a try. I'll let you guys know how I make out. And keep the jokes coming. Talking about drugs all the time is boring.

But guys ya know what? I'm still able to take care of business here and that is really all that matters!

HB

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back