The Long Arm Of Copyright Law

There are exceptions to copyright rules, like "Public Good" - You'll see this on a lot of blogs - for example, on my forum I am allowed to quote a certain amount of an article I'm referring to as long as I plainly attribute source/give it credit and where located (link) so people can read the entire article.  I have even quoted entire copyrighted articles w/o complaint - as long as I gave each separate paragraph a review, opinion or contrasting fact to the paragraph as I posted the article (not posted entire article with my own opinion at beginning or end - but ripped the author paragraph between paragraph with public knowledge) 

I asked an attorney and was advised this was legal in the internet world of politics, etc. as long as primary source plainly specified as source of my 'tirade' and given quotation marks.  As long as I didn't just post the article/source without contributing anything myself - more like debating an article.....            

(ok, yes, I talk to myself   /default_rolleyes.gif )    

This is because such use can fall under -   "Knowledge is a Public Good"  rulings  

http://www.sparc.arl.org/publications/articles/knowledge-public-good.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
You make some interesting comments Denise, although my real point in posting the article link was to bring to light various ways that corporate America is beginning to use copyright laws to restrict consumers' rights and abilities to repair products they already own, as well as to restrict competition in the repair industry space. I suppose I should have been more specific in my set-up, but again, your points are well taken.

As for the legal elements cited, they're generally sound, but the concept of "additional contribution" where non-attributed, copyrighted material is utilized in the creative process is somewhat broad and murky, and case law offers a wide range of precedent at both the state and federal level. My guidance and personal practice is to always cite source material, even if it only comprises a fraction of my subject work. Personally, after overseeing the management of an intellectual property portfolio for our fund of funds over the past 5 years, I've found that the potential ramifications of copyright infringement just isn't worth the financial risk. Being on the other side of the aisle, we've been awarded some surprisingly significant damage awards in the handful of infringement suits we've been involved in, but as stated earlier, it's a rather broad and gray area to be sure.

point blank copyright laws were a good ideah to protect your products from being copied and illegally sold but as with must good ideahs we have they always mutate into these monster concepts of what it was in the first place if i paid for it i should be to do what i want with it

I found this to be an interesting read, and while a brief, straight-forward read, it's extremely thought provoking. I'm certain that most people would be shocked to learn the true extent that copyright laws have on our economic lives. Definitely worth the 5 minutes investment of time. Practical news you can use to stay informed.

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/03/you-dont-own-your-cellphones-or-your-cars/
Interesting read Jewy.... It definitely gave me some things to think about... I had no idea copyright laws went to that extent- that was eyeopening! And a little scary..

hooter1 said:
OH nooooo please tell me yall knew about SOPA and CISPA and all that. Please?
Yes, I think I remember something about those from the last few bar association continuing ed seminars. /default_biggrin.png

Reactions: _X_
flipping money hungry thats all its about money cell phone unlocking ps3 hacking and all the other things you wanna modd on your own even ur pc the newest touch screen all in one pcs from sony so bad u cant even upgrade ur hd or ram without sending it to sony 2 be done or it voids ur warrany i was gonna buy the base model and hook it up with the works but then i read that tiny print on the manual and stickers that say void if u move em

Thanks for the cool read Jew-seph. My only experience with copyright law deals only with music [so the fair trade clause brought up by hooter is familiar to me] and I really did not know that copyright law was being used in the ways this article mentions. It seems almost like an incentive for major tech corporations to have this kind of leverage, kind of how Steve Job's designed all Apple products to be so 'locked-in', so that you'd have to choose options only available from Apple. And it definitely drives profit if your only choice with a broken device is to replace it or bring it straight to the manufacturing company. Pretty sad, but there's not much I can think of that hasn't progressively lowered its standards in recent years, in this case the average American consumer.

Anyways, for anyone interested in the history of copyright laws in regards to music production this is a really good documentary with lots of famous peeps: http://vimeo.com/9958864. It's also available on Netflix if that's your preferred format [its called 'Copyright Criminals'].

You make some interesting comments Denise, although my real point in posting the article link was to bring to light various ways that corporate America is beginning to use copyright laws to restrict consumers' rights and abilities to repair products they already own, as well as to restrict competition in the repair industry space. I suppose I should have been more specific in my set-up, but again, your points are well taken.

As for the legal elements cited, they're generally sound, but the concept of "additional contribution" where non-attributed, copyrighted material is utilized in the creative process is somewhat broad and murky, and case law offers a wide range of precedent at both the state and federal level. My guidance and personal practice is to always cite source material, even if it only comprises a fraction of my subject work. Personally, after overseeing the management of an intellectual property portfolio for our fund of funds over the past 5 years, I've found that the potential ramifications of copyright infringement just isn't worth the financial risk. Being on the other side of the aisle, we've been awarded some surprisingly significant damage awards in the handful of infringement suits we've been involved in, but as stated earlier, it's a rather broad and gray area to be sure.
Yes, I try to make it as plain as possible what belongs to whom. 

I post the article's content in quotations and one color, then I post before, between & after paragraphs my opposing opinions/links to facts that prove they are wrong in what they wrote and I make mine in a different color so it's very apparent who said what - I'm tired of journalists lying to us and even intentionally misrepresenting facts to the public.  If they won't expose the truth I will. 

I usually don't use entire articles - was advised it's safer to quote 2-3 paragraphs of article, then comment where I wish, and I post their link/name at top AND bottom of my blog, as well as usually referring to them in my comments.  Lyin' SOB's.

Sorry.  I'm just fed up with a lot of things happening right now.  I try to behave when I'm here....... to be honest, this is the only place I try to behave...... /default_ohmy.png       /default_biggrin.png

point blank copyright laws were a good ideah to protect your products from being copied and illegally sold but as with must good ideahs we have they always mutate into these monster concepts of what it was in the first place if i paid for it i should be to do what i want with it
As always when government tries to control our lives with legislation.  

NYC - no 2 liters pepsi's with your pizzas.   

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. Dr-Octagon @ Dr-Octagon: @LatsDoodis maaan funk d.a.t!
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: maybe
  3. rosetrip33 @ rosetrip33: Hey anyone there
  4. LatsDoodis @ LatsDoodis: @Dr-Octagon “I got a hoe named reel to reel, she got a buddy named SP12 now you know the deal… Mo’ money, mo’ money for the bank roll / Stick to the script, don’t slip in the ’94”
  5. xenxra @ xenxra: or i guess you could just DM them on here
  6. xenxra @ xenxra: @robert1975 prob just shoot admin a msg with contact button at bottom of site
  7. rockychoc @ rockychoc: @xnxra hahahaha
  8. R @ robert1975: @xenxra my username man.... my handle, username.
  9. xenxra @ xenxra: what kind of handle? there are several types of interior and exterior door handles such as pull-out handles, push-down handles, pull-up handles, trigger handles, and touch handles.
  10. R @ robert1975: Can anyone tell me how I change my handle?
  11. C @ Cruzing: Hey guys whats up?
  12. P @ peanut: Good weekend to all. Enjoy the rest of summer.
  13. BobbyDigi33 @ BobbyDigi33: Just a friendly reminder, gratitude is literally a super power we all have at our disposal. It's the antidote to depression, anger, envy, lust and other low vibratory states. Have a nice weekend and be grateful today!
  14. QuantumMatrix @ QuantumMatrix: ✌️
  15. QuantumMatrix @ QuantumMatrix: 💀
  16. CnC5 @ CnC5: Lmao 🤣
  17. Z @ zzaps94: Hey guys sorry I misunderstood what does shoutbox was, Hope you guys are all having a great day out there
  18. Dr-Octagon @ Dr-Octagon: The roland 808. Or the hamond b-3 organ
  19. LatsDoodis @ LatsDoodis: What’s the most important drum machine/kit to have changed music and why? I think maybe SP-12 or the 1200, but kinda want to say drumulator or Rhythm Maker King 2 gave us some classic shit.
  20. xenxra @ xenxra: @DocPep yes. just use temp.pm or snote
Back