Will Canelo Alvarez Be Any Trouble For Floyd Jr?

HYPNOTIC.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah
I don't think it's too early to start the build up to this fight. How good is Canelo? I think it's hard to say because according to some he arguably lost his last fight to Austin Trout. Canelo is a big, big junior middleweight who is good fighting welterweights. Can Floyd Jr stay away from his heavy body shots which he throws in great combinations until he gasses out and needs a rest. Fighting Floyd flat footed is not going to get it done.

Golden Boy best chance is to limit Alvarez's rehydration so that he doesn't go up to 174 after weigh in at 154lbs. He's got to stay on his toes and be a lot faster around the ring and pursue Mayweather in my opinion. He can't pot shot with Floyd because that's what Floyd Jr is best at.

DBG Boxing fans post here if you are interested.

~Young

Alvarez will give him trouble, of that I am almost certain.  Whether he has the wherewithal to actually take the fight is a big question mark in my mind... but regardless, I think it's a fight that goes at least well into the middle rounds and there are going to be some big shots thrown and I would not be surprised if Canelo knocks FM down at some point (weak knockdown but one nonetheless).  In the end, if it does go the distance, it's Floyd's fight.  Just a reasonably uninformed opinion from basically a slightly more than casual fan.

Have a happy weekend.

S-

Floyd Jr. has few weaknesses, that's well established. However, the few he has include a vulnerability to the left hand, particularly the left hook. Alvarez will have to utilize his left to perfection to have a chance at knocking Floyd Jr. down. The second "weakness", if you can call it that, is to opponents that really push the pace. Ricky Hatton had some early success with this strategy, but just couldn't sustain the pace, which let Floyd pull it together and land his big shots. It'll take supreme fitness and a strong pain threshold for Alvarez to have a shot, as Floyd will certainly land his share and rock Alvarez in his boots. If he can withstand the big blows and continue to push the pace to the limit, he may have a chance at pulling off the upset. The problem for Alvarez though, in my amateur view, is that he just doesn't prefer to fight at the same pace Hatton did, which again, I think will be required to really test Floyd Jr. That said, Alvarez is young and appears hungry, so maybe he can adjust his usual pace to give FJ his toughest test yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the additions guys, some good points there. Jewy you are very right about Mayweather having trouble when he is forced to fight at a higher pace, it showed with Castillo, Hatton and Judah - all in the begining before Mayweather adapted and hung on while they were punching. By the sixth round is where it starts to get ugly and Floyd begins to hit you at will. This fight may be one where the judges could play a factor, I mean a dirty factor. Alvarez is a new, young, and up and comming fighter who is immensly popular, and we all know everyone is dying for Floyd to get his ass kicked. I don't want an unfair discision or a crooked ref to dictate how the fight is fought.

I still see Mayweather's defense and clean punching, and boxing skills taking the fight. Many will call him boring because he will run in the begining. He'll have to to avoid a guy who will out weigh him by at least 20lbs. But boxing has it's subtlties too, you don't always have to see a blood and guts fight to enjoy the match. But it's the first boxing PPV that gonna cost $75 so we better have a good undercard too!

~Young

Alvarez is a very interesting bout for Mayweather for these reasons.

1.) Alvarez is Mayweather’s first prime Jr. Middleweight. Alvarez size will make a difference.

2.) Mayweather will be using 10oz gloves; this will slow down his punches.

3.) Mayweather will weigh more than 150lbs on fight night, this could slow him down.

4.) Alvarez fights at mid and long-range. He is not a brawler or a swarmer. Mayweather will have little opportunity to “roll his shoulderâ€, which works best against close range fighters and volume punchers.

5.) Alvarez is a low output puncher; Mayweather will have fewer opportunities to counter punch and will have to create opportunities himself by jabbing more.

6.) Alvarez has quick hands and he possesses good timing. I have also noticed that his punches have a tendency to “freeze†his opponents’, which will also lead to fewer counter punching opportunities for Mayweather.

7.) Alvarez is the highest rated opponent on the +/- system that Mayweather has ever faced. This should result in Mayweather missing more punches than he usually does.

8.) Alvarez is known as a “thinking man’s fighterâ€, all who have faced Alvarez have stated that he is a “very smart boxerâ€. This should result in Alvarez making adjustments throughout the bout which will make Mayweather adjust more than he is used too.

Yes, Alvarez will have to plan well and be prepared to make multiple adjustments. Mayweather will have to as well; Alvarez is not the typical Mayweather opponent. I am expecting a close and highly tactical bout and one that I am not CERTAIN who will win but if I had to choose I feel Mayweather will edge this via Split Decision; this is a 50/50 bout for me.

All Access: Mayweather vs. Canelo - Full Episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HikEO2a_Tjw

Showtimes build up to the fight. Not even close to HBO's 24/7 but it's the best we can get.

~Young

Yep, Flyod is amazing but like you say it can't last forever. He will not be able to hurt Canelo but he will out box him easily. Unless he gets trapped against the ropes. Or the judges are paid off by Golden Boy and Oscar. It's about time a new face of boxing emerged.

Yea cause MMA has taken over "boxing is becoming the past sadly"But just my opinion I love to see some ground and pound to just throwing blows with boxing gloves..MMA rules r totally different and the NEW boxing of this 2014 future coming. ....

Pride from Japan is a no holds bard U can Stomp ppls head n all that its crazy .I give props for the ppl training for that crszy sh** .Some ppl are just born warriors. ..I can scrap but these dudes r animals lol ......

I think Mayweather will put on another dominant performance. Canelo is bigger and stronger so I will give him a puncher's chance, but other than that I think he will be outclassed. Floyd has been in with bigger and better so this is nothing new to him and Canelo hasn't fought any big names, Alvarez may be stronger but he has to find the target first cause we all know that Money is a defensive genius. 

Canelo should have gotten another big fight on his resume first. He doesn't have a great fighter on his record and the only fighter worth noting is Trout and like you said, he wasn't all that easy. He should have fought Cotto before Floyd cause that would have given him a tough fight with a HOF all while being under the shining bright lights. 

Floyd is just too good and the only person I think will have a shot at beating him is Sergio Martinez. That's a fight I would LOVE to see and I really hope that happens one day soon cause they're both getting old. Maybe Adrien Broner will give him a run for his money one day too.

I think Mayweather will put on another dominant performance. Canelo is bigger and stronger so I will give him a puncher's chance, but other than that I think he will be outclassed. Floyd has been in with bigger and better so this is nothing new to him and Canelo hasn't fought any big names, Alvarez may be stronger but he has to find the target first cause we all know that Money is a defensive genius. 

Canelo should have gotten another big fight on his resume first. He doesn't have a great fighter on his record and the only fighter worth noting is Trout and like you said, he wasn't all that easy. He should have fought Cotto before Floyd cause that would have given him a tough fight with a HOF all while being under the shining bright lights. 

Floyd is just too good and the only person I think will have a shot at beating him is Sergio Martinez. That's a fight I would LOVE to see and I really hope that happens one day soon cause they're both getting old. Maybe Adrien Broner will give him a run for his money one day too.
Good Points there, I believe it's going to come down to politics I'm afraid. If it comes down to anything close to an even fight then Canello will take it by descision. The judges are primed and even Floyed Jr. knows it now. His mistake in not choosing a catchweight or a hydration clause is showing he doesn't have respect for Alvarez. Dumb. Unless you like the true sport of boxing, it will be another boring fight. I like the small nuances of the sweet science so I'll order it but many will not like Floyd sitting in the pocket doing his Philly Shell.

Canello started so young that I think he has the experience, or at least all the experience that time will give him, so he's as ready as he'll ever be. I can just see the frustration of Floyd Jr. at the popularity Canello's following and he's started to call him Carrot Top and all kinds of slanders which he wasn't doing in the begining. The head games aren't working this time, not in Floyds favor so far. Who knows, that's the draw of boxing, anything can happen.

~Young

P.S. Speaking of politics, look at what's happened to Guillermo Rigondeaux. After beating Donaire what have they lined up for him? Nothing. He's still a nobody, nameless and faceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Points there, I believe it's going to come down to politics I'm afraid. If it comes down to anything close to an even fight then Canello will take it by descision. The judges are primed and even Floyed Jr. knows it now. His mistake in not choosing a catchweight or a hydration clause is showing he doesn't have respect for Alvarez. Dumb. Unless you like the true sport of boxing, it will be another boring fight. I like the small nuances of the sweet science so I'll order it but many will not like Floyd sitting in the pocket doing his Philly Shell.

Canello started so young that I think he has the experience, or at least all the experience that time will give him, so he's as ready as he'll ever be. I can just see the frustration of Floyd Jr. at the popularity Canello's following and he's started to call him Carrot Top and all kinds of slanders which he wasn't doing in the begining. The head games aren't working this time, not in Floyds favor so far. Who knows, that's the draw of boxing, anything can happen.

~Young

P.S. Speaking of politics, look at what's happened to Guillermo Rigondeaux. After beating Donaire what have they lined up for him? Nothing. He's still a nobody, nameless and faceless.

I am a big fan of the sweet science...that's why I have been a Floyd fan for a long time(since his basic cable days). Canelo has a vicious body attack and if he can get Floyd on the ropes and do some damage to his body he might get Money to drop his arms a bit in the later rounds. Then he can maybe catch him up top that way. And I do believe that the fight is at a catchweight...152 lbs. Just 2 pounds, but it may play a factor. 

Everyone thought Donaire was the man(including me). Very impressive fight, hats off to Guillermo...now if he can only get someone else to fight him...possible Jhonny Gonzales after his recent first round KO of Mares, or Leo Santa Cruz after his recent win. But we'll just have wait and see, because as you said, boxing is all politics.

Last edited:
Good fight...my main man Money May did his thing. Respect goes out to Canelo though...he came out not afraid or intimidated, and showed no respect for Floyd. Many of Floyd's opponents have come out that way in the past and too anxious also, but not Canelo, he came to fight and put up an entertaining performance. He was just out done by a master craftsman.

On a side note...my hat goes off to Danny Garcia. I had Lucas winning by KO in the early rounds but Garcia kept picking off every single one of Lucas' power shots, especially those mean left hooks. Garcia has never really impressed me before but last night he did. 

Mayweather Vs Martinez Next!!!! (I hope)

Last edited:
In all my years in commercial banking, finance and private equity, I've NEVER seen a handwritten check this large. Seriously??

2s0gsgh.jpg

In all my years in commercial banking, finance and private equity, I've NEVER seen a handwritten check this large. Seriously??

2s0gsgh.jpg
That's insane. He bought over half a million in tickets...I guess when you get a $41 mil paycheck you can do that. 

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back