Anti Spyware

also ad-aware is good.

use them both together tends to pick-up most things

I use Advanced SystemCare free and of course CCleaner, also free. Have had good results and no problems. Spybot and Malwarebytes never did seem to find much of the bad stuff. I've heard many also like SuperAntiSpyware. (also free)

I use microsoft security essentials with malware bytes..they are both free and keep me 100% protected

I use MSE along with Malwarebytes. I doubt you would have any concern though with DBG but I use them together and have them set to run on command line in addition to the regular scans. Its a hard process to make them run on the command line but worth it.

~Wiz

Last edited by a moderator:
Little late to this thread party, but I concur with Khalifa and HF on the effectiveness of Malwarebytes. I find it to be generally effective in removing 95% of any malware that I run into. The remaining 5% are fairly deep root kits of varying properties that require something a little more robust and root kit specific. ComboFix is my favorite, and although not specifically designed for root kits, is about as stout and effective as any other root kit removal solution.

Little late to this thread party, but I concur with Khalifa and HF on the effectiveness of Malwarebytes. I find it to be generally effective in removing 95% of any malware that I run into. The remaining 5% are fairly deep root kits of varying properties that require something a little more robust and root kit specific. ComboFix is my favorite, and although not specifically designed for root kits, is about as stout and effective as any other root kit removal solution.

I never heard of ComboFix. I just so happen to have a root kit on my other computer. Strange thing is I can work around it with Firefox. I just won't check my financial information on it but otherwise I can still go online with it - play games, post and watch youtube. I'll surly look to try and get rid of it again. I even reinstalled the operating system and the root kit is still there. No biggie the computer is old anyway.
Forgive me I'm just catching up on things as I have been away from DBG for a while.

~Wiz

I never heard of ComboFix. I just so happen to have a root kit on my other computer. Strange thing is I can work around it with Firefox. I just won't check my financial information on it but otherwise I can still go online with it - play games, post and watch youtube. I'll surly look to try and get rid of it again. I even reinstalled the operating system and the root kit is still there. No biggie the computer is old anyway.

Forgive me I'm just catching up on things as I have been away from DBG for a while.

~Wiz
Wow Wiz, you reinstalled the OS and still have the root kit? Did you do a repair install or clean format / reinstall?

No that was the problem I only used the recovery disc that came with the computer. I don't think it formatted rather just installed what came with the computer and only repair (It did take away a few viruses). I'm not a really a Wiz LOL on how to format NTFS for XP. I was great in the days of DOS. I had Win95 and 98 working great. I will give that ComboFix a try. If I can save the computer why not right. No biggie though its junk really. But I had fun with it lets put it that way hehe

Thanks

~Wiz

No that was the problem I only used the recovery disc that came with the computer. I don't think it formatted rather just installed what came with the computer and only repair (It did take away a few viruses). I'm not a really a Wiz LOL on how to format NTFS for XP. I was great in the days of DOS. I had Win95 and 98 working great. I will give that ComboFix a try. If I can save the computer why not right. No biggie though its junk really. But I had fun with it lets put it that way hehe

Thanks

~Wiz
Gotcha! That's definitely the issue then. Rootkits will often times survive repair installs, unless they're embedded in the files and registry keys you're overwriting. Anyway, definitely give combo fix a try. It's yet to fail me. Here's a link to download it at Bleeping Computer:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

RootRepeal from Major Geeks is also a great tool Similar, but more specific to root kits than Combo Fix, which is a great for any number of problems. Anyway, not a bad tool to have in your box, so to speak! LOL Here's a link:

http://majorgeeks.com/RootRepeal_-_Rootkit_Detector_d7058.html

Oh, and for future reference, formatting for NTFS in XP is really simple. If your recovery disc contains the full version of XP, just select a new install instead of a repair install when you run the disc. Then choose NTFS when prompted and it will do the rest. If you don't have a full version of XP, and would like one, just PM me and I'll give you a link where you can download an ISO copy that can be burnt to CD's, or mounted with a virtual machine tool. Not nearly as complex as it sounds though. Jewy's gotcha Wiz!

OK I have a bit more info on this. I will honestlly tell you I had no luck on your suggestions Jewy. Here is my case. I was not able to install ComboFix becauses my old computer has XP-home and would not work. Got an error saying the recovery console needs to be updated and I was not able to do so. I was able to find several sites that offered an ISO but still no luck.

Also as easy as it should have been I was not able to open the RAR file to use RootRepeal.

I decided to give it another go with the total format and recover and so far so good just damn I lost some programs I used to use along with some pictures. My fault for not backing things up. Hey I got the thing working again so money saved.

Thanks for all you help and advise

Take care

~Wiz

Sorry to hear that ComboFix couldn't take care of the problem Khalifa. That does sound familiar though in terms of the latest version of ComboFix for XP requiring an up to date recovery console. Always something with Windows. I'm really close to finally changing over to a Mac for just that reason. That said, I'm glad that you got it fixed though and you're good to go. I can't help much on the lost photos, but if there's any particular software item you need, PM me and let me know what they are. I can often find some exceptional "bargains", as it were. Always glad to be of service to my favorite rad ass hoodie! Holla atcha wookie!

Jewy

Sorry to hear that ComboFix couldn't take care of the problem Khalifa. That does sound familiar though in terms of the latest version of ComboFix for XP requiring an up to date recovery console. Always something with Windows. I'm really close to finally changing over to a Mac for just that reason. That said, I'm glad that you got it fixed though and you're good to go. I can't help much on the lost photos, but if there's any particular software item you need, PM me and let me know what they are. I can often find some exceptional "bargains", as it were. Always glad to be of service to my favorite rad ass hoodie! Holla atcha wookie!

Jewy

What a bummer. Tell you what, Khalifa I'm going to buy you a new computer for your birthday. Seriously Jewy, that was helpfull information indeed and I might need to get a dead computer going that I also have.
What a funny pic Jewy you must be happy. I know I would dread that type of seneiro myself but cool beens

Sis

Hey Jewy,

I just bought a Commadore 64 off E-bay for $100.

How do I install Windows 7 on it?

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back