Good Laptop - Brands And Models

HP is always solid.  I would stay away from Intel given that the NSA likes to put tracking chips and keyloggers in random models.  Just something I heard.
Any OEM can put in any kind of chip that will do what NSA want.  But I do not believe the Intel snooping for NSA at all.   All the Apple users are fucked then. /default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Eight Brand New HP i5 2.7ghz 8GB of RAM with distrete Radeon onboard laptops for sale - $450 EACH.  Come and get it HB!!!

Still running Vista here on a dinosaur Gateway...I tried Win7 and Win8 on newer laptops, and still prefer my old school, bulletproof machine!! I paid $120 for it like 3 years ago. It's  6 years old, but runs like a raped ape!! Never had a problem!

I LOVED Vista since day one.   I didn't like the new taskbar changes in 7 - eventually got used to it...

Eight Brand New HP i5 2.7ghz 8GB of RAM with distrete Radeon onboard laptops for sale - $450 EACH.  Come and get it HB!!!
Bro I already got another Toshiba cause they have the 17" screens without paying extra. It works for me. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

$460.00

Bro I already got another Toshiba cause they have the 17" screens without paying extra. It works for me. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

$460.00
I know a guy who sells mint NIB Commodore 64's. It should run smooth with your AOL email and/or Prodigy dialup ISP. Since ya are a num cruncher it has the latest version of DOS on it but this model only has a monochrome screen. But it has a Betamax player in it. Can also hook up your 8 Track to it for digital junkies. If you turn it on late at night you can catch interference and listen to your neighbors 1-900-PLUGGED fone calls. Oh ya a great feature is no mouse is needed!0

My PC quit on me after almost 10 years.  It was a Dell XPS.

Going to replace with a laptop in August as we'll be moving to a place w/ wifi access to all residents; & have been told that deainews is suggesting August is the best time to get a deal.

- Anyone working w/ the I7 chip pls share thoughts...

- Those working with the I5 chip, would U change to the 7 & why?

- There are at least 3 wifi configurations, help me figure that one out...

- Is it true most newer machines will have a 7,200 rpm of "something" where the standard had been 5400?

- Assuming wifi provided is "protected", isn't it wise a to get separate security for the laptop? Suggestions ?

thanks

MHZJUNKIE responded, in part, in another topic with:

Well, I've repaired computers all my life. My advice, stay far away from anything HP, Compaq. They had a horrible problem with the video chipset coming unsoldered from the mainboard. My choice, Toshiba. I'm certainly not saying HP and Compaq haven't remedied the problem by now, but I wouldn't want to chance. I've seen fairly confident folks attempt the repair on a Compaq, and HP, only to have to refund the owner money within a couple months if not sooner. SATY AWAY. Let me ad here, I've saw some half way decent Acer laptops.

IMHO Laptops are cheap junk. I could break one in no time flat. But, that's just me.Screens  CRACKED, lid hinges BROKE. Not to mention the spills into the keyboard sending them to laptop hades. This is just my opinion. I would,'t have one if you gave it to me, other than to sell it to make a quick buck. I know others will disagree with me, but those have been my findings.I prefer to build my own from scratch using quality parts

----------------------------------------–-------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know what IMHO stands for, but I've seen the name Toshiba above.

ANYONE ELSE?

Onzo said:
Over the years I've used Dell, HP, the original IBM ThinkPad and now Lenovo.  The ThinkPad was the best made laptop of all, but Lenovo is the best on the market right now.  
Dells not a bad laptop. The last ThinkPad that I rebuilt had a really flimsy case, very thin in places to the point that it would flex. The ThinkPad's also had a problem with coils falling off the mainboard. I had to solder two back on the one I rebuilt. But, that's been awhile, I'm sure they've probably corrected that by now. HP/ Compaq done me in with their chips coming lose from the mainboards. I think, if I remember correctly, they tried to deny the problem for the longest time, and left a lot of people hanging Best I can remember they finally had some type of recall on them for awhile to try and fix the problem.But my memory is toast, so I'm really winging it here. I'm sure a person could nitpick them all, I've just had better luck with the Toshiba brand.

MHZJUNKIE responded, in part, in another topic with:

Well, I've repaired computers all my life. My advice, stay far away from anything HP, Compaq. They had a horrible problem with the video chipset coming unsoldered from the mainboard. My choice, Toshiba. I'm certainly not saying HP and Compaq haven't remedied the problem by now, but I wouldn't want to chance. I've seen fairly confident folks attempt the repair on a Compaq, and HP, only to have to refund the owner money within a couple months if not sooner. SATY AWAY. Let me ad here, I've saw some half way decent Acer laptops.

IMHO Laptops are cheap junk. I could break one in no time flat. But, that's just me.Screens  CRACKED, lid hinges BROKE. Not to mention the spills into the keyboard sending them to laptop hades. This is just my opinion. I would,'t have one if you gave it to me, other than to sell it to make a quick buck. I know others will disagree with me, but those have been my findings.I prefer to build my own from scratch using quality parts

----------------------------------------–-------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know what IMHO stands for, but I've seen the name Toshiba above.

ANYONE ELSE?
IMHO = In My Honest Opinion.

Anyway, after years and years of dealing with the "public" and having to remove malware, and viruses over and over for some of the same people, and just pretty much being completely overwhelmed, and having a few really bad seizures that left me VERY forgetful, I finally threw in the towel on dealing with computer's and the public.I don't touch anything hardly anymore, except my own stuff. On the rare occasion that I do fix something for someone else, I just don't have the passion for it, I guess you could say, like I once had. When it comes to computer repair, and software problems, losing one's memory puts a person at one hell of a disadvantage,

You fellows talk all the computer repair talk you want. I'm out. Sorry, I'm just not into it anymore.Wish I was, and kind of wish I still could.

Anyway, after years and years of dealing with the "public" and having to remove malware, and viruses over and over for some of the same people, and just pretty much being completely overwhelmed, and having a few really bad seizures that left me VERY forgetful, I finally threw in the towel on dealing with computer's and the public.I don't touch anything hardly anymore, except my own stuff. On the rare occasion that I do fix something for someone else, I just don't have the passion for it, I guess you could say, like I once had. When it comes to computer repair, and software problems, losing one's memory puts a person at one hell of a disadvantage,

You fellows talk all the computer repair talk you want. I'm out. Sorry, I'm just not into it anymore.Wish I was, and kind of wish I still could.
MHZ - U helped. Looking at buying, not repairing. Hey, U know any desktop towers capable of running off wi-fi signal ?

MHZ - U helped. Looking at buying, not repairing. Hey, U know any desktop towers capable of running off wi-fi signal ?
Not sure right off top my head about any make or model desktop that comes Wi-Fi ready. But for sure any desktop can have Wi-Fi added easily enough. There's PCI adapter cards, USB Wi-Fi adapters. The two other desktops in the house here both have a PCI Wi-Fi adapter cards that I've put in them. If you don't want to open it up to install a Wi-Fi card, then you'll have to use a USB adapter, or tell them when you're buying that Wi-Fi is a must have requirement. Surely if they want to sell the thing they'll accommodate you.

Just got my 4 year old Dell back from the repair place and they said nothing is wrong with it. What? It went dark and would not even turn on but it's fine? It does seem to be working again but I wish I understood what happened. Computer experts?

Just got my 4 year old Dell back from the repair place and they said nothing is wrong with it. What? It went dark and would not even turn on but it's fine? It does seem to be working again but I wish I understood what happened. Computer experts?
What went dark 2E, the tower or the monitor?

It's a laptop, isn't this a laptop thread?

But it would not turn on, thought maybe battery? Took it in and the guy could not get it to do anything either. Then they called, said it's fine and that guy doesn't work there any more lol. Only charged the diagnostic fee. I'm waiting on using it because we don't have a good surge protector and I thought it had fried. More flood warnings today so there's going to be surging no doubt, I'm scared to plug it in. It is working now, I just am curious what could have happened.

It's a laptop, isn't this a laptop thread?

But it would not turn on, thought maybe battery? Took it in and the guy could not get it to do anything either. Then they called, said it's fine and that guy doesn't work there any more lol. Only charged the diagnostic fee. I'm waiting on using it because we don't have a good surge protector and I thought it had fried. More flood warnings today so there's going to be surging no doubt, I'm scared to plug it in. It is working now, I just am curious what could have happened.
Sorry 2E, I didn't even realize that you had replied. Yes, this is a laptop thread, I'm sorry for my nonfictional seizure'd out brain. That's one of the reasons I said I wasn't going to fool with this anymore. But I figure if I can unlock the knowledge of computers that I know is stored somewhere within my cranium, and can help someone, I will. If the thing wouldn't come on, and you nor the guy that was formerly working there couldn't get it to turn on, and it's working fine now, it was either something simple, and they corrected it. Or, it just happened to start working again, and it'll keep on trucking, or the problem could return. I've sat here and thought about what simple thing it could have been, and only thing I can drag out of this frozen brain of mine is stuck keys. No doubt there could be other things that could have caused it, but they are locked inside this frozen computer repair information vault between my ears.

I've edited this three times now. SMH....lol  I just wanted to add, it's hard for me to bring myself down off the soap box when it comes to this stuff, because this is all I have done my whole life. Well this, and repairing electronics and installing 2Way radios into ambulances, and fire department vehicles. But I'm coming to the realization that this is the way things are and are going to be, and I have no other choice. I just hope I don't get worse, else I am screwed.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back