Laptop& Tv For 2014

Salamandoor

Alright, oh omniscient, intelligent and wise community of DBG - I am going to be in the market for a laptop here in the near future.

I've been checking out the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. Anyone have any thoughts or comments? Maybe a recommendation for a different laptop?

As for TV's - I love Samsungs. But my research has just begun!

Price range for both is in the $800 - $1000 dollar range.

TV needs to be in the 55"+

Gun-Totin....Atta' Boy! Snapple-Drinkin? (They still make that shit) Clinton-Bashin'? (You know that F**k*er inhaled, AND "Snappled" off a piece of Monica!) *my hero*.......... /default_wink.png

Oh,,,what were you saying? something about a TV?  (Jk) /default_biggrin.png

Gun-Totin....Atta' Boy! Snapple-Drinkin? (They still make that shit) Clinton-Bashin'? (You know that F**k*er inhaled, AND "Snappled" off a piece of Monica!) *my hero*.......... /default_wink.png

Oh,,,what were you saying? something about a TV?  (Jk) /default_biggrin.png
If you are into reading, read Desperation by Stephen King. Has a ton of great quotes. Here's another:

Little bitty baby Smitty,
I seen you bite your Mommy's titty.
Don't you fret and don't you pout,
don't you spit that titty out.
WARNING THIS PART IS CRUDE

stuck his prick in Mommy's slitty.
Don'y you fret and don't you pout,
she won't make you take it out.

Now let's get to laptop'n and TV'in!!

If you are into reading, read Desperation by Stephen King. Has a ton of great quotes. Here's another:

I seen you bite your Mommy's titty.
Don't you fret and don't you pout,
don't you spit that titty out.
WARNING THIS PART IS CRUDE

stuck his prick in Mommy's slitty.
Don'y you fret and don't you pout,
she won't make you take it out.

Now let's get to laptop'n and TV'in!!
Lol! I'm not much of a book reader, but I might have to check that out...Have always been a huge Stephen King Fan. ( I was at a Garage Sale last summer and a lady had (2) 50 gallon plastic water barrels stuffed with ALL Stephen King Books...Would have been set for life!)

I'm not much of an electronics expert either, but Samsung makes a Damn good Tv! I would go with Samsung or LG for the price.

As far as laptops, I'm still rallying on a 4 year old Gateway that I picked up for $150 3 years ago...It's never let me down, therefore have never felt the need to upgrade. ( Not a gamer, just surf the net)

However, I'm sure there's some "techies" on the board, that will pick up on this thread...Good Luck!

From my limited experience all I can suggest as far as laptops is a Dell. Preferably one with 64 bit Win 7, at least 8 to 16 gigs of RAM. I haven't shopped for, and honestly don't really use or like laptops, but if you PM me I can suggest a site that can offer more help. Those specs may be outdated, as far as I know they may come with 32 GB of RAM standard now.

Last edited by a moderator:
8 gigs? Damn, I remember when 2 was rockin the casba, times change, the manufacturers keep comin out with new ones, micro keeps using the same software just changin the name, updating the software and callin it somethin else. Wasnt XP based on 2000? Yea and they keep goin from there.......what a racket.

Please Continue.................

The first computer I built had 1 gb of ram. Cost me more than my video card. (Video cards are cheap nowadays too). The ram alone was $220 bucks, the video card was $200. But that computer lasted me for 7 years. Everything prebuilt I have bought since then barely lasts two or three. 

It used to be cost effective to build computers, now there really isn't that much of a difference. The computer I built on the market would have been $1,500 - $2,000 dollars back in the day, I built it for $800. 

Nowadays you won't save nearly as much building your computer, and I need laptops that are portable so when I am out in the middle of nowhere for work I can still be entertained!

I still insist on building my own PC. The price may not be much different but DIY computers let you put quality parts in them. Not that theres a guarantee you won't get a dud part, but I don't want a PSU that only barely meets the system requirements and has no name brand behind it. 

I recently tried to help my sis set up a new lappie with Win 8 and hated it. Unlike 7 and XP it was hard to find the specs, and with 8 (from what I gather) you can't manually make changes to the registry. IDK much about how an OS works, just how to put one together. Doing that allows one to decide which brand of parts you want. I'm sure you can go to Dell and specify what you want. I'm a strictly DT person, running XP, but knowing support ends in April I'm trying to save up to build a new one running 7 Home Premium 64 bit. 

I also want to get a mobo that has onboard video, which is going the way of the Dinos. I've got friends who are pros and will help me pick the parts to run a decent gamer for around $600, not counting accessories.

That's why I say I can't personally offer advice, but I know people who can. 

I still insist on building my own PC. The price may not be much different but DIY computers let you put quality parts in them. Not that theres a guarantee you won't get a dud part, but I don't want a PSU that only barely meets the system requirements and has no name brand behind it. 

I recently tried to help my sis set up a new lappie with Win 8 and hated it. Unlike 7 and XP it was hard to find the specs, and with 8 (from what I gather) you can't manually make changes to the registry. IDK much about how an OS works, just how to put one together. Doing that allows one to decide which brand of parts you want. I'm sure you can go to Dell and specify what you want. I'm a strictly DT person, running XP, but knowing support ends in April I'm trying to save up to build a new one running 7 Home Premium 64 bit. 

I also want to get a mobo that has onboard video, which is going the way of the Dinos. I've got friends who are pros and will help me pick the parts to run a decent gamer for around $600, not counting accessories.

That's why I say I can't personally offer advice, but I know people who can. 
Awesome! I'm definitely of the same school of thought. Built my current machine 6 years ago, and have upgraded various components since, including new video card and the other usual suspects. Doesn't take a tech mastermind to accomplish, and is actually surprisingly easy, relatively speaking. Your comment on there being little price difference, but providing exceptionally higher component quality is dead on, and a DIY machine also allows you to focus your budget where it will be of most benefit to you, depending on the tasks you use the machine for most. (i.e. gaming, business use, AV production / post / editing, etc) Excellent post.

Thank you Jewy, that means a lot coming from one known as a great mind by all the members. 

Although laptops are different as far as building your own (it's not impossible but much harder than a DT), I would not buy an off the shelf model, instead going to a mfg and selecting the parts they put in. 

As Jewy points out, with a DT it doesn't take a mastermind to build one. They are actually easy to build once you overcome the fear of "building a high tech machine". With a DT it's easy to find good advice on parts to used based on ones budget and intentions. 

Most of the pros that I know recommend Dell, Sony and HP. As far as I know each will let you pick the parts to your custom needs. The biggest mistake is getting one off the shelf because they use the cheapest parts to build it and make a profit. It will cost more to have it built to your specs, but at least your money is better spent and they still offer the same warranty.

TVs are a different monster. My budget (not to mention my small house) wouldn't allow for one that size, but there are reviews that can be found to help pick the best model for a given price range. Some here may be able to offer their personal opinion but I would spend a little time looking at a few sites to get an idea of which is best depending on your needs.

Good luck Sal. As I said earlier concerning PCs, if you want I can recommend a site or two that can help a lot once you tell them what your specific needs are when using the laptop.

Thank you Jewy, that means a lot coming from one known as a great mind by all the members. 

Although laptops are different as far as building your own (it's not impossible but much harder than a DT), I would not buy an off the shelf model, instead going to a mfg and selecting the parts they put in. 

As Jewy points out, with a DT it doesn't take a mastermind to build one. They are actually easy to build once you overcome the fear of "building a high tech machine". With a DT it's easy to find good advice on parts to used based on ones budget and intentions. 

Most of the pros that I know recommend Dell, Sony and HP. As far as I know each will let you pick the parts to your custom needs. The biggest mistake is getting one off the shelf because they use the cheapest parts to build it and make a profit. It will cost more to have it built to your specs, but at least your money is better spent and they still offer the same warranty.

TVs are a different monster. My budget (not to mention my small house) wouldn't allow for one that size, but there are reviews that can be found to help pick the best model for a given price range. Some here may be able to offer their personal opinion but I would spend a little time looking at a few sites to get an idea of which is best depending on your needs.

Good luck Sal. As I said earlier concerning PCs, if you want I can recommend a site or two that can help a lot once you tell them what your specific needs are when using the laptop.

Thanks PITA, your sage advice is much appreciated.

The market has changed so much since I last built my desktop computer - far more competition! In my personal opinion, this means that pre-built is comparable in price and quality to that of which you could put together yourself. To each their own, however, I am in no way discounting your stance on DIY computers. However, I must admit there is a certain satisfaction and emotional attachment that comes with crafting one yourself. 

I'm looking into a 'hybrids' (something like the Microsoft Surface Pro) as there are certain situations where a touchscreen tablet may beneficial, and others where the traditional mouse and keyboard fair better. I must admit, despite my engineering degree (not in computing or else I wouldn't be asking these questions, haha) I am intimidated by something so unfamiliar!

I believe a site I used to frequent was sharkyextreme, but I am definitely open to any other sites you may mention. It's too bad the SY vendors don't offer computers as a product - I would be getting a TI-88 calculator in the mail tomorrow for the price of a super computer!

I hope some videophile will come along and steer me in the right direction for a TV. It just occurred to me that I need to research what I can sell my current TV for. It's a 55" LG TV that I purchased approximately three years ago. 

In case anyone was wondering, the reason I am buying all this stuff: Discovered my credit score was a paltry 690 after my recent vehicle purchase (Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/ EcoDiesel - Highly recommmended for anyone looking). Despite never making late payment it seems I have not financed enough to satisfy the powers that be. It's no surprise to me why the USA has such a problem with credit. Might as well get some toys while I enjoy that 0% interest. 

Yikes, forgive me for the novel. My sleeping medicine has been delayed in shipment and I have not been able to locate another reliable source as of yet. Insomnia is killer /default_sad.png

To any one that cares. I really just got bored and bought one out of sheet spite. I really didn't do the homework I wanted to on this laptop. That being said, I like it a lot:

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/samsung-ativ-book-9-plus.aspx (not the price I paid).

STILL NEED HELP WITH TV. 60"OR MORE!! AND NONE OF THAT CHEAP 'THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID' JOKE GETTING THROWN AROUND LIKE YOUR MOM'S WHORE. YES, THAT'S RIGHT, THE WHORE THAT USED TO BE PIMPED BY YOUR MOM. WHILE SHE WAS BEING PIMPED..BY A PIMP.

I wish I could help with the TV, unfortunately my home is too small to accommodate one that size. I did just recently have to buy one out of necessity. I turned my old one off and it wouldn't come back on. But my budget and the space limitation kept mine at a smaller 39 inch.

Exactly what all are you wanting to be able to connect to it? Like, do you have several HDMI devices, need some analog connections for game systems, and are you planning on connecting a surround sound speaker system? I don't mind looking around a bit if you have the time. Just give some more info regarding what all you need or want and I'll help you look around if you're in no rush. 

As many HDMI ports as possible - HT PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wireless Soundbar & Reciever, Cable Box, Modem

The bad news is your needs outweigh my knowledge. I have searched a little and found a few sites that may be able to help you pick what's best for you.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/hdtv/best-tv-2013-what-tv-should-you-buy-this-year-709255

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/tv-buying-guide,review-1943.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/tv-buying-guide-how-to-buy-a-tv/

http://hdguru.com/2013-hdtv-buyers-guide/

I wish I could offer some personal advice but you're in the market for something I could never afford, and your obviously way ahead of me on the tech end already. Hopefully some of the links will help you find what the best TV that fits your needs.

If not, try creating an account at http://www.pctechbytes.com/forums/ and start a topic in the "Off topic" section. Although the site is devoted to helping people by offering free help with PC problems I know the Admin there has a real "Home Theater" and he would likely be able to answer some of your questions based on his experience, or at least be able to steer you to a really good site that might help you more than those I found.

I wish I could be of more assistance but I'm in way over my head when talking about the stuff you need help with.

Good luck, let me know what you came up with and if any of the links helped at all.

As many HDMI ports as possible - HT PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wireless Soundbar & Reciever, Cable Box, Modem
You should only need a few HDMI inputs on the TV. Your A/V receiver is where you want multiple HDMI inputs.

Connect all your devices (Cable/DVR, Xbox, Apple TV, Roku, Blu-ray, etc,) via HDMI to your receiver then you need only one HDMI out from receiver to TV. I've found this helps with chord management and picture/audio is much better: this link might help: http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/home/receivers.html?o=e&g=10420

Awesome! I'm definitely of the same school of thought. Built my current machine 6 years ago, and have upgraded various components since, including new video card and the other usual suspects. Doesn't take a tech mastermind to accomplish, and is actually surprisingly easy, relatively speaking. Your comment on there being little price difference, but providing exceptionally higher component quality is dead on, and a DIY machine also allows you to focus your budget where it will be of most benefit to you, depending on the tasks you use the machine for most. (i.e. gaming, business use, AV production / post / editing, etc) Excellent post.
Hey Jewy,

Do you do much post/editing work? f so, I'm Interested to hear about your current setup...I'm looking to upgrade and building my own machine that fits my.needs sounds like a fun and practical move to make.

Hey Jewy,

Do you do much post/editing work? f so, I'm Interested to hear about your current setup...I'm looking to upgrade and building my own machine that fits my.needs sounds like a fun and practical move to make.
I wouldn't say I do a lot, but I do chop up a lot of game film from my kids' sporting events, and occasionally help out a few friends in Nashville with post-production work, although I wouldn't say that I'm an expert. I'd be glad to pull together my current build specs and post them for you. Give me a day or so to get it together.

Hey, not an expert here, not even close LOL, BUT!!! I can point you to www.dell.com

You can customize your own laptop as you wish. You can build your own laptop to satisfy your needs.

I found it very convenient.

MH

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back