Laptop& Tv For 2014

Hey Jewy,

Do you do much post/editing work? f so, I'm Interested to hear about your current setup...I'm looking to upgrade and building my own machine that fits my.needs sounds like a fun and practical move to make.
Sorry to butt in, but heres my take on the subject, fwiw.

It's not exactly the same, but I do a lot of video conversion. (I download movie torrents and convert to VOB for friends/family to watch on their DVD players) Although my current Pentium DC works fine for that I'm also facing the need to upgrade my OS as XP will not be supported by MS after April of this year.

I can't give you the specs but when I do upgrade and build a new machine I'm going with an AMD FX 6100 CPU. If possible I'm going to try and get a mobo that still has onboard video too. Not that I'll be relying on it, I just like to have that if video problems arise so it's easier to figure out if the problem is in the video card. A mobo like that is quickly disappearing, but I'm not comfortable using an APU type processor just yet. I'm also going to install Win 7, 64 bit Home Premium. I just don't like the look of 8 and find it very hard to navigate to what I'm looking for, like the Control Panel and system info, with it.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking the CPU handles most of the load in video processing. If you want to check it out this site helps you find the best processing power for the buck. For video card comparison I like this site. It allows you to check cards side by side and see some of the features to help decide which is better.

Another good resource that I mentioned earlier is http://www.pctechbytes.com/forums/. There are several pros and enthusiasts that will offer free advice on parts to buy when building a PC with specific needs in mind. They'll usually go so far as to help find the parts at the best price.

Now that I've offered my two cents I'll let Jewy answer your question. /default_smile.png 

I wouldn't say I do a lot, but I do chop up a lot of game film from my kids' sporting events, and occasionally help out a few friends in Nashville with post-production work, although I wouldn't say that I'm an expert. I'd be glad to pull together my current build specs and post them for you. Give me a day or so to get it together.
Thanks Jewy, I'd really appreciate checking out your current specs.

I work in documentary film, but mainly pre-production stuff: (researching, finding investors, scheduling), and a bit of shooting and interviewing during production. When we get close to being picture-locked I handle festival submissions and distribution.

I want to learn as much as I can about each of the different craft areas and I mess around with FCP7, but it seems a lot of editors are moving away from Final Cut to the Adobe CS edit suite (Pemiere, After Effects, Encore, etc).

When I work in these programs, often more than one simultaneously, my computers performance drops precipitously and I believe a new video card is in order.

So, any help would be great.

Thanks

-Jones

Hey, not an expert here, not even close LOL, BUT!!! I can point you to www.dell.com

You can customize your own laptop as you wish. You can build your own laptop to satisfy your needs.

I found it very convenient.

MH
Thanks MH! I'll check it out and mess around building my dream machine.

Maybe this question and answer would help you know what you need a little better: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1736257/gpu-cpu-video-editing.html

Also, don't forget the forum I mentioned earlier. There are some really good professionals and others who are just enthusiasts that know what they are talking about and will offer their help for free. The link above talks about a DT PC, but the people on the forum (http://www.pctechbytes.com/forums/) will help you pick the parts you need most from the Dell site. They know their stuff and, like this site, you can't beat the price (free) they charge for offering their advice. They don't have an agenda, i.e., no ties to anyone like a Mfg that might sway their opinion one way or another. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You need HORSE POWER and all RAM not just video.  The CPU must be the strongest/fastest you can afford and you must have as much ram as your OS can handle.  If you go Windows, make it a 64 bit system.  This is not a definitive answer, there are a million variables...

Excellent advice. IDK if you are planning on a DT or LT but I finally put together the parts list for my next DT PC build, which came out to a little under $300. That is because all I needed was a mobo, CPU, DVD burner and HDD. I chose an FX 6300 CPU, ASUS mATX board and a 1 TB WD Black Hard drive. If I'd needed the case, RAM, video card and OS it could have cost $300-$500 more. The difference depending on the video card, brand and amount of RAM, amount spent on the case, etc.

A decent quad core CPU, at least 8 GB of RAM and a person should be able to handle video processing with no problem. One part you don't want to skimp on when building a DT PC is the PSU. A cheap 800 watt psu is worse than a quality 500 watt unit. Use a psu calculator and get 50 to 100 watts more than it recommends. That will help power any upgrades, like a better video card, you may want in the future. 

I am in the market for a new laptop.  I need something dependable for my home business.  I am not a patient person:) so speed is important.  I really don't wont to spend more that $900.  Does anyone have any suggestions or have a computer that they love.  Thanks guys....

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back