Magic Jack, It Really Works!

High Tide

Account Closed
V.I.P Member
I don't know if anyone else has one of these devices, but it's really a great way to have an inexpensive home phone. The original model is a little less expensive, but it requires a PC to be running to use it.

The Magic Jack Plus lets you install and run directly from a wall outlet and your high speed internet connection, without a PC running. If you have a home phone already, you can transfer the number to it for an additional $10 per year. The overall cost using a MJ Plus is about $40 or $50 a year, period.

Calling other countries is about 2 cents a minute in most cases.

Any questions, just ask. /default_smile.png

Best wishes, H~T

The overall cost using a MJ Plus is about $40 or $50 a year, period.
Does that also include the mandatory high speed conection. IMO I think this has been the unpopilatrity of this device, especially considering that the new tech.... hell, if you already pay for high speed, you can jst make calls from your pc, and have any kind of crazy answering msg you want, PLUS use it as a fax, etc.  I've never understood the marketing angle of this, Not trying to be a dick, just saying, I dont get it  Perosnally I think it's a trick to bait older people who are the least tech savvy, then when they're there they edplain the oh no, you have to have this too.  I don't doubt it works, but at what "true" cost

Last edited by a moderator:
The Magic Jack Plus lets you install and run directly from a wall outlet and your high speed internet connection...

I have had a mj plus for a couple of years now. it works great and it cost me $29.00/year works just like a regular phone. Plugged base into mj and all five phones through out no need to sit at pc to make or receive calls my cordless even works outside. As for the cost of the internet that is moot. I need high speed weather I have mj or not. I think it is a good product.

chef

The only problem I have, or apparently those only the other end, is when file-sharing it can give them trouble with the sound breaking up. I don't have any trouble hearing them, but I guess it's because the download speeds are 10 X the upload. But you make a great point chef, we're paying for broadband either way, so MJ just makes things easier. 

Ans still I have to say, that my home hone is free with a high speed connection and cable. $0.00. I'm really not tryihng to dog a product you like man, just can not see the point,

JUVENILE POST ALERT

Why all the debate? I find my "Magic Jack" works quite well most every night, and it's free when combined with a Victoria's Secret catalog!

e31.jpg

and I approve!

I think he's just trying to protect us AARP people, which is cool. I need all the consumer protection I can get. TBH I'm not aware of anyone else, of any age, that knows how to use a PC as a phone. 

I might have known somebody before taking all those zolps the last three days, but today I'm trying to recall my name.  /default_blink.png  Love, Cat? Love, P***y diet? Don't worry, it'll come to me.

I'm with Jewy. It,s just a gadget that happens to work fairly well. For the little amount I use a so called land line it is well worth the $30 a year. Not much more reason for discussion, you either like it or not. I happen to like it. Enough said.

LOL, well Chef, I was actually referring to another gadget that works fairly well, but we'll go with your version!

JUVENILE POST ALERT

Why all the debate? I find my "Magic Jack" works quite well most every night, and it's free when combined with a Victoria's Secret catalog!
I missed it the first post too! It's amazing how people just get accustomed to seeing y'all jacking it all the time.

Naw maing you got a brutha all wrong. I aint debatin, it might could be awesome, I'm just sayin I dom't get it. But my phone is free, Im pretty sure thats the difference.  Plus the AARP reference yes, I'm almost right there :-)

I get all I need through Google Voice and calling through my Gmail.  The thing that I enjoy the most is being able to use my GV number as a mobile number with texting capabilities.  A little off the rails but still topical.  Although the international calling with the MJ+ is a nifty feature.

Naw maing you got a brutha all wrong. I aint debatin, it might could be awesome, I'm just sayin I dom't get it. But my phone is free, Im pretty sure thats the difference.  Plus the AARP reference yes, I'm almost right there :-)
I think the mistake, or misunderstanding, was because you're like Yogi. You're smarter than the average bear and just don't know it because it comes easy to you. That, along with other people trying to stir things up so they can laugh at people who get into "flame wars". I don't think either of us were offended as much as some folks would have liked to think. I can be a pita and make the mistake of thinking my sarcasm, or other attempt at joking, doesn't read the same as it would sound. Unfortunately the tone or my attempt at deadpan humor doesn't work well in print.

I've tried figuring out how to use a PC for a phone since Y2K. That is until Vonage came out, which I used until giving the MJ a try. I already had cable internet, and couldn't wait to get a chance to tell AT&T to go f**k their self. Talk about screwing older people, I think they are the most ruthless and uncaring company that just dry f**ks people that don't know better or are afraid of changing something they've had their whole life. The fastest, and most expensive cable connection is less than what they used to charge me for a home phone. 

It would be a great service to the technically challenged, like me, if you posted some tips or links to places that have relatively simple instructions on how to set it up. I even bought a cheap USB phone to use for Skype, but their charges are not what they advertise. May be connection fees or something, idk. Once I got a simple way to have a home phone, with Vonage at first, I didn't really bother looking into it any more.

I get all I need through Google Voice and calling through my Gmail.  The thing that I enjoy the most is being able to use my GV number as a mobile number with texting capabilities.  A little off the rails but still topical.  Although the international calling with the MJ+ is a nifty feature.
I've heard others talk about using gmail for calling but haven't really looked into it. As I suggested to hooter, if you can help with some tips or provide links to simple instructions it would be really appreciated. I didn't even know you could get a phone number for use on a PC. With the MJ plus being so cheap it's been a long time since I worried about trying to figure out phoning from a computer.

I personally don't use a phone much, particularly a cell phone. Since so many people have began preferring to text versus talk I figured out how to use Yahoo IM for texting from my desktop. It should be obvious, having said that, that I don't have a smart phone or a laptop either. I have a "flip phone", on another persons account, so it only costs $15 a month to have something I can use occasionally when I'm not home. It's been really good to have a couple of times when I needed help after breaking down or something, but I also hate to see people who use them so much they miss a lot of other things in life.

Connect to Bluetooth and other wireless or network devices

In this article
  • To add a wireless or network device
  • To find a wireless device
  • To find a network device
You can connect a wireless phone, keyboard, mouse, or other device to your computer. This includes Bluetooth and wireless network (Wi‑Fi) devices. You can also add a network device to your computer, such as a network-enabled printer, storage device, or Windows Media Center Extender.

Go to the Windows website to watch the video. (1:17)

You don't have to add devices already connected to your computer with a USB cable or other wired connection. Windows will automatically detect and display them.

shit you maybe dont have disk, errr, lemme work on it
If you can put together some tips just start a thread. That would probably grab more attention than this thread. Like I said before, I'm not really sure I know anyone personally who can use a PC to make calls, so it would probably help a lot of others. When I say make calls I mean other than using skype. As you likely know making a call to a phone, instead of skype to skype, costs money. And it isn't the amount they say on their site, unless they've updated it. I haven't looked at it in a long time but I know my charges were more than what it should have been according to their site. I figured it was connection fees hidden in the fine print. Either way it isn't free.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back