Medical Records - UK

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

I find myself in a pisition where I need my medical records, but not simply to LOOK at, I need to COPY them for a doctor in another country, also within the EU. Anyone know how I go about getting them, and making the necessary copies? Also, do I have to pay much for the privilege? Anybody with any experience, please post.

Abs

I BELIEVE YOU CALL YOUR DOCTOR AND THEY WILL PRINT THEM OUT FOR YOU. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY A DOLLAR A PAGE. THAT'S WHAT I NEEDED TO DO HERE IN THE USA. HOPE THIS HELP'S. NOT SURE IF THE THE UK IS THE SAME? ALL I KNOW IS THIS IS HOW I HAD TO GO ABOUT IT IN THE USA. AS TO COPYING THEM YOU CAN GO TO OFFICE MAX OR A PLACE LIKE THAT AND FAX THE COPY'S ONCE YOU HAVE THEM. HOPE I WAS HELP FULL. /default_smile.png

XM

Last edited:
Yes and if you need a copy or your x-ray/CT/MRI, call ahead. They may want to know the doctor that wants to see it. Or let you borrow it. I did that and just never returned them. I also like to see the radiologist report.But that me

Yes and if you need a copy or your x-ray/CT/MRI, call ahead. They may want to know the doctor that wants to see it. Or let you borrow it. I did that and just never returned them. I also like to see the radiologist report.But that me
HEY I WOULD KEEP ANYTHING THEY GAVE ME. YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU WILL NEED THEM AGAIN AND TO GO THROUGH THE WHOLE PROCESS OVER AGAIN WOULD JUST BE PRETTY SHI**Y. LOL

Keeping an x-ray, ECG, EEG or similar could be difficult; since last November, medical records no longer get passed by paper - they're all on computer and accessible to EVERY doc in the country at the click of a moose. That also more or less ends doctor shopping here. Thanks for the replies which have given me a bit to think about. I asked because I need some for doctors in another couple of European countries. Just in case they doubt my need for the strong opiates. I'm actually hoping for a change of scenery from oxycodone, which I have grown very tolerant to. 20mg oxy = 7.5mg hydromorphone = 3 x 2.6mg capsules Palladone four times daily. I think Palladone (hydromorphone, Palladone available in USA but only instants - Palladone SR was banned, for what reason I don't know, it's a 12 hourly drug like OxyContin; has anybody used Janssen's 24 hour hydromorphone? Can it be crushed to make it instant? And what strengths does it come in?

As you can see, my medical records may be an aid to prescription abroad of analgesics and anxiolytics/hypnotics which I need and have used for many years, the idea being to get a 90 day supply of everything, and many new and lesser used benzos like flutoprazepam (don't understand the nomenclature 'flu-to', will have to ask a chemist or a certain guy who posts on Rx forums but not here unless he's using an alias) but on my way to Serbia, second last stop on my journey, I pass through Italy and Slovenija where it is sold as 'Restas'. Sounds like a hypnotic but it's definitely a strong anxiolytic. Delorazepam, a much stronger version of its parent, is also available there. Got to get a supply of cloxazolam and clotiazepam, Akton and Clozan respectively, 2mg Rohypnol and 12mg Lexotan (bromazepam) too. And of course in Belgium the very strong branded benzos that most countries no longer prescribe - the 50mg Seresta Forte oxazepam, like the Serenid-D Forte my father prescribed so much and so often. I think that my records would show that, far from the lowest dose possible favoured by British benzophobic doctors, I would benefit from this, along with the very fast-acting 2mg Xanax which my income stops me using, because the strongest Xanax available here is 500mcg, Upjohn '55's, at a price higher than any other European country and needing 84 tablets a week at a cost of over £35, a third of my total income for a week. Somebody please let me know the price of those (the 500mg Xanax brand) in the USA; there IS one generic alp made here but 99% of scripts are dispensed as brand Xanax. I have only ever been given that once - it's dreadful by the way - and it's always been a source of wonder to me why the most useful, effective and popular benzo in the world is actively discouraged here and priced beyond the reach of the patient whose anxiolytic of choice is probably the best for panic attacks with GAD, Xanax.

I have mentioned before that trips to other EU countries are most probably the best idea in a country with a failing National Health Service with less choice for the patient than even small countries like Slovenija, and far less than Belgium, Germany and Hungary.

They won't have a clue what I've been doing until well after I return home, fancy new national computer or not, by which time they won't be able to do anything about it, everything having been properly prescribed and dispensed with the financial aid of my EHIC. Why spend a fortune on a national medial rcords computer system when it could have been spent on patient services, or funding cancer drugs deemed too expensive to prescribe nationally? Many lives could be saved or prolonged by the group of meds in question, whose name escapes me, but which are not to be made available.

Urgent surgery is now almost as popular a reason for travel from the UK to Hungary as tourism due to very long waiting lists for some types of operation, some of which are serious.

The computerisation of records clearly is a bit of a white elephant.

Don't forget, let us know the pricing of 0.5mg Xanax in the US. And how much cheaper are an excellent generic like Greenstone and a truly awful quality one like Sandoz (GG246, 247,248,249) which some people actually think is representative of the normal potency of alprazolam.

Cheers and thanks for the answers. I have been out of touch for a short while due to Police custody and hospital stay so have not been able to keep up with things. I'll now probably find so much to comment on I'll be logged on for a week. And I am dreading the email. It only takes a week to ten days to create a backlog of gargantuan proportion, impossible to answer unless I spend days on it.

Thanks again folks.

Abs

Last edited:
I'd say its about time for a national (US at least if not international) centralized database of medical records. They should be made available to everyone in order to do studies but kept anonymous except to the patient himself. The patient should have immediate and permanante access to all his medical information.

All I know is that small clinics like Dentists and Chiropractors just don't have the money to buy the software needed to come up to date on the recent mandatory electronic note taking system. It's a good idea though, but is a few years away from total compliance.

Anyone know where i can get an MRI made with with name and info on it?

I save each and every x-ray, CT-Scan and MRI I ever had done. Both the cd/film and report from the radiologist. You never know when you might need to show it to another doctor. I had quite a struggle with a past doctor that would NOT let me see my own record. I'm sure its because I was not supposed to see some of what the doctor wrote concerning me.

~Wiz

Last edited by a moderator:
Under HIPAA you have the right to get your Medical records, it not only allows it, it requires it!

There are reasonable cost related fees though.

You can also ask for mistakes to be corrected and I pretty much guess you will find some.

Thanks man, Sadly this was long before the HIPAA took hold. I was willing to pay the cost but as I say, I'm certain there were things I was not supposed to see. I could try again if need be.

~Wiz

Some good information here. Hosptials and other clinics are scared of one thing - malpractice!

You can also report a health care professional (in USA) to applicable state's Health Department State Licensing Board Misconduct Office if they share your information without signed release or any other unethical, illegal behavior toward you or that adversely affects your healthcare, ability to obtain needed medical care.  Easy to look up Misconduct Office for each state in US.

As far as computer healthcare database, are you flippin' kidding me? First, the government may misuse the information and people are already abusing the system.  It can be accessed or hacked constantly (it was proven by a group of college students), so if someone doesn't like you, they can look up your information and broadcast it or use it other ways you don't want them to do.  What's to keep a doctor from checking on a patient's history without a signed consent for them to check that info, then deny meds or tell doctor friend info about you? Don't think healthcare providers don't talk, like any other profession - they still do.  HIPPA just made them more careful about it.  HIPPA is pretty much a joke.  While you will be clueless and at their mercy - IF you even have a doctor. I currently live in a very rural area.  None of the doctors in my area are even accepting new patients.  Most are NOT accepting new Medicare or Medicaid patients due to the ridiculously low rates they pay while Insurance companies are going to get raped (and people paying for insurance) so medical practices can survive increased costs/decreased pay.

I don't see why hackers can't go in and change people's personal information, as well. I was able to go in and change 'incorrect' information, so info can definitely be changed in the system. I've worked in healthcare 25 years and I know countless ways having all your personal info on a doctor or governmental computer database can backfire to cause harm - though proponents make it sound really great.  It's NOT. 

I've seen people in the hospital access information on patients in other areas of the hospital (such as psych unit) and talk to others about what they found - whereas before computers when someone asked me about, say a public figures' info, I told them it was none of their business and not mine to share.

People with access to the computers misused it to just be nosy and read about the mayor's surgery or a public figure's psychiatric hospitalization.  I saw it happening as soon as hospitals began using computers for patients. Confidential, embarrassing info accessed and misused - rumors and sometimes 100's of people gossiping (I worked at a major medical center with 100's of beds).

That was one little area.  Nationwide - OMG what a nightmare! Our government is so competent at everything it does..........*cough*

The cost to small doctors/health care practitioners is driving many, esp in rural areas, into early retirement or having to merge in large groups. 

Also, if you see the doctor for one complaint and another health problem is also addressed while with the doctor, some groups are billing you TWICE, one charge for each problem you had, not just one visit charge or saying you have to make a separate appointment (again, 2 charges).  I was told the way billing must now be done is dictated by the new  "Affordable" healthcare bill.  Thanks, Congress.  (Who has separate healthcare than we do).

People are sheep and do not see what's going on. About many things.  USA citizens will find out the hard way what's in store for them, such as no payment for cancer treatment or Vit B shots after 76 yrs old - pay out of pocket or die.

I have to stop now,  it upsets me so much to know what is going to happen without any ability to stop it.  I have read and re-read the entire thing several times (more than Congress did) and it was very unwise legislation, not even written by any elected officials. 

Enough.  I refuse to discuss this issue any further. 

.  HIPPA just made them more careful about it.  HIPPA is pretty much a joke.  While you will be clueless and at their mercy - IF you even have a doctor. I currently live in a very rural area.  None of the doctors in my area are even accepting new patients.  Most are NOT accepting new Medicare or Medicaid patients due to the ridiculously low rates they pay while Insurance companies are going to get raped (and people paying for insurance) so medical practices can survive increased costs/decreased pay.

I
HIPAA (not HIPPA) is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.  Antiquated law designed to .protect certain patient information under 2 categories (PHI - Protected Health Information, IIHI - Individually Identifiable Health Information).  Also hundreds of pages on how to prevent unnecessary dissemination of said information.  HIPAA was revamped by the HITECH Act (Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act) in 2009, which strengthened certain technological aspects of protection afforded to patients regarding HIPAA.  Recent changes have made Business Associates (vendors of care providers, hospitals, doctors, etc., known as Covered Entities under HIPAA) responsible to the same guidelines, civil and criminal penalties as the Covered Entity had been subject to.  All of that is related to privacy.  The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is going to be the thing that screws the system, most of all the patients.  Many will lose their employer sponsored coverage and be forced to pick from the exchange, where all plans will be high deductible and high co-pay plans.  Only rates that will suffer will me the 2% cut to Medicare.  100's of thousands will be forced to resort to Medicaid as it will be the only affordable option in the exchange. Once the exchange is fully operational, physicians will no longer have the luxury of refusing to treat M/M patents.  It's a provision of the ACA.  S-

We are all fucked. That's my eloquent statement on this whole atrocity.

I'm not quite sure what people are actually wanting here,  but if requested you can get a copy of records in uk, even if by Freedom of Info request laws, for a fee but available.

Also, I've had an xray burned onto a cd for me without issue.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back