NAC to counteract tylenol toxicity

Roxyanne

N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is one of the most widely used emergency interventions for tylenol overdose;  It prevents liver damage and is given in the ER.  Studies show oral supplementation is also effective at preventing liver damage from tylenol toxicity.   It is available OTC as a supplement, and  I've tried several times over the years to use it to protect my liver from all the tylenol but it seems to upset my stomach.   Anyone had any luck using NAC?  I have a relative who uses it daily (she has liver disease) and swears by it.     Last night I got super-paranoid that I had poisened myself with tylenol after taking about 2,000mg over the course of the day (in Vicodin);  thinking of trying it again.

Paracetamol self-poisoning: when oral N-acetylcysteine saves life? a case report.

Benlamkaddem S1, Iken I2, Houari N1, Elbouazzaoui A1, Boukatta B1, Sbai H1, Achour S2, Kanjaa N1.

Author information

Abstract

Paracetamol is the most widely drug involved in accidental paediatric exposures and deliberate self-poisoning cases because of its availability. N-acetyl cystein is the main treatment for this poisoning. We report a case of a 24-year-old Arab female who has deliberately ingested 100 tablets of 500 mg paracetamol each (50g). Her first examination was normal. She has received oral N-acetyl cystein (NAC) 6 hours after the ingestion. Serum paracetamol level done 18 hours post ingestion was 900 mg/l. On review the next days, she did not develop any symptoms of liver failure. However, due to the massive paracetamol ingestion associated with high serum paracetamol levels, oral NAC was continued for 3 days. The patient was discharged well on the fifth day of hospitalization. Our patient has ingested one of the highest paracetamol overdose (50g) with the highest paracetamol blood levels ever reported in medical literature. She was treated, six hours after ingestion, with oral NAC for 3 days without any side effects

I haven’t used nac ir liver protection but this is very interesting information and I want to thank you for posting it.

Yes, I am heterozygous for the C677T polymorphism in the MTHFR Gene, and my liver does a very poor job of detoxing many substances, Tylenol being one, which has led to non alcoholic fatty liver disease. My functional medicine/internist has prescribed NAC to me. I use a powder. It’s 1,200 mg, and I use one scoop (500 g) daily. I also cannot consume folic acid, and have to supplement with folate. Several years ago I had extremely toxic amounts of B12 in my blood, and that, along with so many problems metabolizing different classes of medications, led to having the genetic testing.

Another clue to this was reduced bile flow- doctors really only seem to care if one has too much bile, but reduced amounts are a sign your liver isn’t properly detoxing. That leads to clogged arteries and increased risk for heart disease.

I also use milk thistle. It’s a supplement used for liver detoxification. My liver enzymes were extremely high almost 2 years ago and my doctor suspected Hepatitis, but that wasn’t the case, and it happened other times before starting these supplements. I’m not supposed to use Tylenol at all.

I have to say it’s late, and I’m tired, so some of my terminology/vocabulary isn’t 100%, but hopefully this answers the question somewhat. I’ve had other genetic testing, also, and many weird problems nutritionally and otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started using Jarrow formulas NAC-sustain (its a time-released version that breaks down in your small intestine rather than stomach) and so far no side effects.  It says to take on a empty stomach with fruit juice.  I've been taking it with water and alittle fruit.   The regular NAC gave me bad indigestion, but this formula doesnt.   so far so good!

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back