Stepping down as manager

Kinglouie

I was promoted to my first manager position last year and it is not at all what I expected. Im getting so stressed that I have been considering stepping down from the position. 

Before my promotion I was on the same level as my coworkers. I also would consider most of them my friends. But now these relationships are strained. I am trying to separate my work life and my personal relationships but its taking a toll on me.  I am constantly getting the feeling that they are talking about me when im not around. I am finding myself sacrificing company standards because i do not want awkward tension between us. 

Im concerned that if I step down from management  they will never give me the opportunity again.  Has anyone ever been in this position?  I am so torn on what I should do that I've been stuck in limbo this past month...  i have been doing the job, but not nearly as good as i would like to be doing. 

Help me

Unfortunately it's difficult to be both a boss and a friend,  ideally the managerial position would have been at another location if possible. It's also more difficult to be impartial. If you want to keep this post, then you may well have to cut some ties with your former colleagues. 

I had this same situation arise a good number of years ago. @PTFC  named the cure. I was lucky the Company I worked in was large enough & had over 50 Locations in our metro area. I had to drive an extra 20 miles 10 each way. That was worth the tension, anxiety & general piece of mind I was able to have restored. The people I had worked w/ then managed only 2 or 3 of say 15 actually behaved the same as it was when we were all the same pay grade. RXPRO-

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. its much appreciated.

@PTFC  I was told when I was offered the job that they usually promote managers to a new location but they felt I would have an easier time adjusting because im already at the slowest store.  I didn't realize how much different the atmosphere would become  

@rxpro I too am at a large company with around the same amount of locations.  I have been asking for a transfer to another location the last couple months and They kept blowing me off and delaying.  Finally, I decided I would be better off stepping down as the stress and anxiety had been tearing me up inside.  Unfortunately, I was told that our area was already short managers but that they would look into it.  

A few weeks later I approached them again but had gotten the same response. This time  they gave me a pep talk and just kept telling me i could do it and id be fine. 

At this point I thought about looking for another job but I invested over 6 years with the company and was also afraid of the change.  So I just kept working each day... stressed, unhappy, and with no motivation.  Finally, just last week I hit my breaking point...  I quietly, without a "scene", walked out halfway into my shift.  I was already mentally checked out for weeks and I just couldn't take it. 

I feel irresponsible...  but i also feel free. Like the world was just taken off of my shoulders.  I already hit the pavement and have a couple interviews lined up and Im excited for a new chapter to begin.  

Thank you for listening. It means much more to me than you realize. 

I was promoted to my first manager position last year and it is not at all what I expected. Im getting so stressed that I have been considering stepping down from the position. 

Before my promotion I was on the same level as my coworkers. I also would consider most of them my friends. But now these relationships are strained. I am trying to separate my work life and my personal relationships but its taking a toll on me.  I am constantly getting the feeling that they are talking about me when im not around. I am finding myself sacrificing company standards because i do not want awkward tension between us. 

Im concerned that if I step down from management  they will never give me the opportunity again.  Has anyone ever been in this position?  I am so torn on what I should do that I've been stuck in limbo this past month...  i have been doing the job, but not nearly as good as i would like to be doing. 

Help me
It's next to impossible to keep work friends as friends if you become their boss. They will take advantage of you any chance they get. Some will not take you seriously until you show them consequences for their insubordination. It's a VERY hard spot to be in. And the decision is yours yo make. You have to decide what's more important, your career or some people you became friends with at work.

Managing isnt all its cracked up to be. I managed a Kay Jewelers for 5 years. I enjoyed myself a lot more when I was just a sales associate. 

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back