Why Can't/won't Posters Take Time To Upload An Avi?

dvz

I get the desire for anonymity, and I understand it especially for the newbies, who are still getting their sea legs. But when I see posters with many posts and a good rep score, yet still with a "generic" avi it makes me feel less confident in what they have to say. I know it's stupid, but it reminds me of people on Twitter who keep using the default egg avi. I feel it lowers one's "gravitas" and well...to be superficial, it's a bit boring.

Then again, my frnd Zonked EACH TIME  used all sorts of avis, yet his posts were incomprehensible shit. So I'm in no way saying that having an avi equals a good, helpful board member. 

As for the reasons for anonymity, I am fairly sure (unless I'm, ahem, flying) that I'm not Blinky. I'm also pretty sure that Cat in the Hat is not actually James Gandolfini (though in my own selfish way, I wish!)

I get the desire for anonymity, and I understand it especially for the newbies, who are still getting their sea legs. But when I see posters with many posts and a good rep score, yet still with a "generic" avi it makes me feel less confident in what they have to say. I know it's stupid, but it reminds me of people on Twitter who keep using the default egg avi. I feel it lowers one's "gravitas" and well...to be superficial, it's a bit boring.

Then again, my frnd Zonked EACH TIME used all sorts of avis, yet his posts were incomprehensible shit. So I'm in no way saying that having an avi equals a good, helpful board member.

As for the reasons for anonymity, I am fairly sure (unless I'm, ahem, flying) that I'm not Blinky. I'm also pretty sure that Cat in the Hat is not actually James Gandolfini (though in my own selfish way, I wish!)
So, are you saying that my Hebrew schooled, Yiddish speaking Wookie cover is blown?!

So, are you saying that my Hebrew schooled, Yiddish speaking Wookie cover is blown?! 
Ha! hardly, and speaking of hardly and speaking of blown, that's a tasy avi.   /default_smile.png An oil portrait? Like I told you before. Veddy Propah! You are going to get all of the aristochicks....um aristowookiettes  with that one for sure. 

I have toyed with getting a new one for myself, but Blinky has been my bud for years, and I'd feel like shit flushing Blinky down the drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thank you kindly Blinky, that's quite a compliment! And yes, I've become rather partial to it myself, although it does make me look like a museum relic, and I'm not quite ready to hang 'em up just yet, LOL. I guess we all have our role to play on the team, and Elder Statesman seems as appropriate as any I suppose!

Reactions: dvz
Ha! hardly, and speaking of hardly and speaking of blown, that's a tasy avi.   /default_smile.png An oil portrait? Like I told you before. Veddy Propah! You are going to get all of the aristochicks....um aristowookiettes  with that one for sure. 

I have toyed with getting a new one for myself, but Blinky has been my bud for years, and I'd feel like shit flushing Blinky down the drain.
I'm with you "Blinky", before I encountered moderator: Jewbacca I would have never imagined that his image, no matter the version, would provide such confidence and feelings of good will.

I, too, am a fan of the museum quality Jewy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2opkAxKgAeA
Well hell, mine's not only movie quality, but "museum quality", LOL. And while their dad is cool and all, I'd leave enough money in case they wanted wings!

Sorry folks, "Step-Brothers" inside joke!

On the subject one thing that annoys me is people changing their avatars frequently. As one who suffers from oldsheimers I rely on the visual image to help me keep up with who's who. So please dvz don't flush Blinky, it helps me remember who you are. Making a small change, like a different Wookie pic, doesn't mess me up. Most people probably look at the posters name, but visual clues help me more than anything. 

As you say dvz, it isn't hard to find a random pic and upload as an avatar. Looking at a silhouette is just confusing because I use avatars far more than the names to recall people on here. Anonymity has nothing to do with it. I'm sure you are not the 3 eyed fish from The Simpsons, so just picking an avatar in no way compromises their identity. They can pick anything they like, and as long as it stays the same or at least closely related, it helps people remember who it is posting. At least it does for me, so thanks for bringing up the subject Blinky. Seeing yours helps me where I rarely recall names, especially among those who don't post very often. +1 to you for asking people to help me remember who they are.  /default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
IDK if you are kidding, I hope so. Theres nothing good about a silhouette, avatars help shown individual personalities.  
I could be wrong, but I think MM took it quite to heart the topic and personalized his avy very recently...it's a nice touch MM, I appreciate your artistic abilities!

High Tide, I enjoy your avatar, it is all L-O-V-E up in here with that one, and from reading your posts, I'd say you wear it well!

I could be wrong, but I think MM took it quite to heart the topic and personalized his avy very recently...it's a nice touch MM, I appreciate your artistic abilities!

High Tide, I enjoy your avatar, it is all L-O-V-E up in here with that one, and from reading your posts, I'd say you wear it well!
Thanks Beranda, it's very kind of you. But if you open my profile for a better look you'll see it's a dual message. I'm a Crimson Tide fan and it also incorporates that. I was lucky someone made that, I just happened to find it and thought it captured two items very important to me.

Thank you hooter1 !  My avi pic choice  would be Dennis Hopper ( I am thinking of him as the character Frank Booth in the movie Blue Velvet).  This is above and beyond and I appreciate it.  All the best !

hooter1 said:
B. hotlink the picture directly from the internet

If this leaves you stuck, lemme know and we'll go again from there.
I tried this with my latest avatar change (based on PackRat's advice), and it wouldn't work.  Gave me an error message saying it needed to be 50KB or smaller.  So I went back to the old "resize 100 times until its small enough" routine /default_rolleyes.gif 

Great hooter1.   I shall follow the steps this coming weekend and will have an "avi"  by Monday my friend, thanks to you.  All the best to DBGers.

I fell under this category for a while and then when i became a DBG addict i felt as if it was only right to get one although you cant read to actually see what it says. Still, i love it

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. xenxra @ xenxra: maybe
  2. rosetrip33 @ rosetrip33: Hey anyone there
  3. LatsDoodis @ LatsDoodis: @Dr-Octagon “I got a hoe named reel to reel, she got a buddy named SP12 now you know the deal… Mo’ money, mo’ money for the bank roll / Stick to the script, don’t slip in the ’94”
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: or i guess you could just DM them on here
  5. xenxra @ xenxra: @robert1975 prob just shoot admin a msg with contact button at bottom of site
  6. rockychoc @ rockychoc: @xnxra hahahaha
  7. R @ robert1975: @xenxra my username man.... my handle, username.
  8. xenxra @ xenxra: what kind of handle? there are several types of interior and exterior door handles such as pull-out handles, push-down handles, pull-up handles, trigger handles, and touch handles.
  9. R @ robert1975: Can anyone tell me how I change my handle?
  10. C @ Cruzing: Hey guys whats up?
  11. P @ peanut: Good weekend to all. Enjoy the rest of summer.
  12. BobbyDigi33 @ BobbyDigi33: Just a friendly reminder, gratitude is literally a super power we all have at our disposal. It's the antidote to depression, anger, envy, lust and other low vibratory states. Have a nice weekend and be grateful today!
  13. QuantumMatrix @ QuantumMatrix: ✌️
  14. QuantumMatrix @ QuantumMatrix: 💀
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: Lmao 🤣
  16. Z @ zzaps94: Hey guys sorry I misunderstood what does shoutbox was, Hope you guys are all having a great day out there
  17. Dr-Octagon @ Dr-Octagon: The roland 808. Or the hamond b-3 organ
  18. LatsDoodis @ LatsDoodis: What’s the most important drum machine/kit to have changed music and why? I think maybe SP-12 or the 1200, but kinda want to say drumulator or Rhythm Maker King 2 gave us some classic shit.
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @DocPep yes. just use temp.pm or snote
  20. Terrylolol @ Terrylolol: Hope everyone has a fantastic week!
Back