Windows 8 Upgrade?

So Pack you upgraded to 8.1? I keep ingorning that message to upgrade cause I fear 8.1 will be worse.

Can someone tell me how to spell check please? That drives me just as crazy as the windows start button.
What do you mean spell check?? what apps are you trying to spell check in?

I am not a fan of Win8 at all... especially the Metro UI replacement for the Start menu... although I'm glad MS finally included the option to boot straight to Desktop-mode with Win8.1..

Regardless, if I ever do upgrade any of my machines to Win8, I'll be installing 'Classic Start' software first thing from classicstart8.com.  It's a free app that brings back the traditional Win7 style Start menu to any Win8 machine.  Invaluable tool.

Had I known of classicstart8.com it would have saved me a lot of work.

But, after 5 minutes with the pre-installed Windows 8 on my new netbook, I immediately reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7.

Would have preferred Windows XP, but they've stopped with the security updates. And now I learn that Windows 7 is no longer gonna be sold, just Windows 8 and soon Windows 9.

Good God, I'm almost ready to give up on MS and have my OS run by Google, just like my Google Android Tablet and Smartphone.

It's just the compadibility issues which are preventing me as most of the world still uses MS Windows and MS Office on my netbook/laptop and desktops.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother in law is an IT tech for a major corporation, and says windows 8 sucks in general, and he even bought that OS for his wife. She hated it, and went back to 7.

I myself just can't seem to give up Win 95! /default_wink.png j/k

...still running Vista...

-YB

I got 8 too and I think it blows. Can't stand the fact the shutdown button is gone from the bottom left hand corner.

I have 8.1 and it works great after I got over the learning curve. As far as getting an app for classic start I think it's really unnecessary as you can do that right from 8.1. I'm in the process of turning an old desktop i have into a "hackentosh" which will run all Apple stuff. Apple makes good stuff but I'm not paying for them for their stupid logo.There is a wealth of info on how to do this on the net and I have way too much time on my hands so that's my new hobby now.

I have 8.1 and it works great after I got over the learning curve. As far as getting an app for classic start I think it's really unnecessary as you can do that right from 8.1. I'm in the process of turning an old desktop i have into a "hackentosh" which will run all Apple stuff. Apple makes good stuff but I'm not paying for them for their stupid logo.There is a wealth of info on how to do this on the net and I have way too much time on my hands so that's my new hobby now.
Hey, 

Dave i would love to run some mac programs on my pc especially things like Logic ( music making software) and Final Cut ( film making software ). If you have any knowledge to share that would be great I spend far to much time looking up all kinds of other technical stuff haha.

Xegh 

I have 8 on my new PC, at home, but it's kind of difficult to use since it's designed for tablets.  I prefer 7 or even XP, The problem with 8 is it really difficult to get to the sleep/shutdown button.  At work, I actually use 7 because my company doesn't use the PC for anything except to connect to a server so 8 is not necessary

unknown

I wonder what Windows 9 is gonna bring about? Floating icons flying around the computer room?? Smells coming out of the monitor?

Bring me back Windows XP and I'll be happy.

johnnog said:
i'm sticking to xp,esp with the other pc that has cubase on it,its the ancient vst5,have got sx but not installed it yet,neither of them will work on win 7 or 8 so no point in me getting them.

its going to cost a fair bit of money if i do get a new pc with 7,i'll have to upgrade all my music production software which aint going to be cheap,might as well just buy some secondhand hardware synths and at least still be able to run a reasonable stable system,not that i ever get any tracks finished but its just for enjoyment and keeps me away from creating bad habits.
Have you ever considered slightly downgrading to the Commodore 64 or VIC 20? Sound quality is not that great, nor is the speed or memory, but the simplicity of the keyboard layout is quite nice. That's what I've been using for years, along with my handy-dandy abacus for financial work, and my outdoor sun dial to let me know approximately what time of day it is. As for the month or year, I simply look at the moon in relation to the stars. Try it!

I would have paid the cost of the OS just to keep using XP for another 4 years. Over half the stuff I reinstall goes into an x86 folder anyway. Now I can't get 7 to burn a DVD using the same procedure that worked on XP. I can still download and convert them, Nero just won't accept the files like it used to. /default_sad.png

Technology is getting smarter than the people that build it these days...Personally I like to keep shit simple, but understand the need for upgrades and understand the economics of multibillion $$ companies that need to bring new shit to the table to line their pockets...

Capitalism at its finest!

I actually bought a new laptop and paid more money to get windows 7.  Yep, I went out of my way to find a laptop that had windows 7 and paid more when I could have bought a laptop with windows 8.

Amazing.

unknown1212

I should have said I would have paid over $400 to keep XP because that is what it cost to build my new one from scratch. 7 won't let me see any of my old pictures and home movies stored on my external drive. A lot of good old movies and games lost in the change. /default_sad.png

I actually bought a new laptop and paid more money to get windows 7.  Yep, I went out of my way to find a laptop that had windows 7 and paid more when I could have bought a laptop with windows 8.

Amazing.

unknown1212
I would have done the same! Windows 8 sucks for me. My husband installed it on our laptop and I made him put 7 back on. Newer isn't always better!

2e

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back