How Long Can Blistered Meds Stay Good Even After Exp Date?

Def_Starr

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah
j/w how long can blistered meds stay good even after exp date? before they loose there real potency, is there a proper well to store them as well? i use a [SIZE=11.9999990463257px]Rubbermaid[/SIZE], and just put everything into that and inside a deskdrawer....

That's a good question. I think it depends on the drug first but I think scripts from a pharmacy would last a year maybe more. Blistered would probably have more potency for a longer time frame because they have been sealed.

I heard some where sometime that the drug companies put those expiration dates on the pills that are less than the time they are still potent. Guess why?

My only concerned about expired drugs is if it was something medically necessary - blood pressure, cancer, diabetes... you get my drift.

This is just one reputable site. They are many others. Check them out. Seems some drugs can last 5-10 years after. But do your research.

I still think most are good after a year. In blisters even more. You decide. I feel most of use don't worry about the expiration date but how many are left. Our supplies never make it to the due date.

Mine don't.

http://www.drugs.com/article/drug-expiration-dates.html

Yep, it definitely depends on the med and it's difficult to compare to loose meds because you would have to ask how the loose meds are being stored. If the loose meds aren't effected too much by moisure, one would have to assume that there really wouldnt be much difference in the rate of potency depletion between the two. High temperatures can also increase the rate of potency depletion. When I lived in S.E. Asia I would often take a moto from pharmacy to pharmacy to get to a pharm that was well insulated and air-conditioned. As Headbanger said most meds are good within 10-15 years.... Pharmacies overseas would often sell meds at a greatly reduced price when expired fine, there usually wasn't much difference but if you have something that's long past exp date than, it's your call. Read up. That's my two cents, thanks.

Storage temp and oxygen exposure make a big difference. There are antibiotics (cipro)that has been shown to maintain efficacy for 15 years if stored in a cool, dry place.

Different chemicals breakdown differently so it really varies drug to drug but if you're worried about something being "expired" on the label, you should be fine and they'll likely still help.

I've had plenty of out of date stuff, it's always been okay. I had some tr@ms that were about 18 months past, blistered caps; fine. I've got some zoppi at the moment that's about 6 months out, fine again. Both got sold to me out of date, but I'm not too fussed.

Still prefer having them in date, just because that tidies up about 0.5% of my OCD brain.

So I hate getting loose stuff, grr, end up putting them in a tub with silica gel.

I still have some old blistered Wyeth ativan from 9 yrs ago. Tried some the other day and works great!

Back in the late '70's I got ahold of a large supply of a highly scheduled pain med that shall remain nameless, but they were at least 10 years out of date and worked just fine. I wouldn't trust all medications like that but these were very difficult to come by, only one ingredient (plus small amount of filler/ binding agent) and I was very happy with them.

With today's meds, and the sloppy standards of the current FDA, I wouldn't trust most beyond a year of expiration date.

But then again, I was much more of a risk taker when I was young.....

I still have some old blistered Wyeth ativan from 9 yrs ago. Tried some the other day and works great!
I think the big reason they are still good is because they are vacuum packed. Now if we could only get pk's the same way....

I actually found a site that sells expired meds (I think that is actually the name). They have a doozy of a list too. If anyone has any experience with this site, shoot me a pm please. I might have to guinea pig this place since I do believe pain meds (most of them) are good long after the expiration date.

I'll have to do my research first!

I actually found a site that sells expired meds (I think that is actually the name). They have a doozy of a list too. If anyone has any experience with this site, shoot me a pm please. I might have to guinea pig this place since I do believe pain meds (most of them) are good long after the expiration date.

I would be very interested in this site as well, especially if there is a worthwhile price reduction.  As I've posted before, I have some p/k's and vals more than ten years old and they still work fine for me.  I'd be willing to be another guinea pig /default_smile.png

I would be very interested in this site as well, especially if there is a worthwhile price reduction.  As I've posted before, I have some p/k's and vals more than ten years old and they still work fine for me.  I'd be willing to be another guinea pig /default_smile.png
I was sure I bookmarked this place because I was intrigued. Now I can't find it! Of course I don't remember what search I was using at the time. So frustrating. Ugh. Can't try it if I can't find it.

I'll keep trying and will let you know if I find it again. Or vice versa please.

I was sure I bookmarked this place because I was intrigued. Now I can't find it! Of course I don't remember what search I was using at the time. So frustrating. Ugh. Can't try it if I can't find it.

I'll keep trying and will let you know if I find it again. Or vice versa please.
Try looking in your history.  You can choose a week, month, day, etc.  I did a search for it earlier when I read your post but only came up with sites about where to dispose your expired meds (here!! LOL) but I will look again too.

oh sweet i forgot i even made this thread, i get the answers i need now /default_smile.png 

Try looking in your history.  You can choose a week, month, day, etc.  I did a search for it earlier when I read your post but only came up with sites about where to dispose your expired meds (here!! LOL) but I will look again too.
Hmm I was looking and cannot find anything as of yet.

FDA States 365 days from expiry, but as headbanger stated, if it is for serious conditions, I would not mess with it. Benzo's and foil wrapped bananakins seem to last forever, I still have a large lot from a SS4u purchase in 2012 and they all seem to do the trick nicely.

Send it my way!

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. xenxra @ xenxra: maybe
  2. rosetrip33 @ rosetrip33: Hey anyone there
  3. LatsDoodis @ LatsDoodis: @Dr-Octagon “I got a hoe named reel to reel, she got a buddy named SP12 now you know the deal… Mo’ money, mo’ money for the bank roll / Stick to the script, don’t slip in the ’94”
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: or i guess you could just DM them on here
  5. xenxra @ xenxra: @robert1975 prob just shoot admin a msg with contact button at bottom of site
  6. rockychoc @ rockychoc: @xnxra hahahaha
  7. R @ robert1975: @xenxra my username man.... my handle, username.
  8. xenxra @ xenxra: what kind of handle? there are several types of interior and exterior door handles such as pull-out handles, push-down handles, pull-up handles, trigger handles, and touch handles.
  9. R @ robert1975: Can anyone tell me how I change my handle?
  10. C @ Cruzing: Hey guys whats up?
  11. P @ peanut: Good weekend to all. Enjoy the rest of summer.
  12. BobbyDigi33 @ BobbyDigi33: Just a friendly reminder, gratitude is literally a super power we all have at our disposal. It's the antidote to depression, anger, envy, lust and other low vibratory states. Have a nice weekend and be grateful today!
  13. QuantumMatrix @ QuantumMatrix: ✌️
  14. QuantumMatrix @ QuantumMatrix: 💀
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: Lmao 🤣
  16. Z @ zzaps94: Hey guys sorry I misunderstood what does shoutbox was, Hope you guys are all having a great day out there
  17. Dr-Octagon @ Dr-Octagon: The roland 808. Or the hamond b-3 organ
  18. LatsDoodis @ LatsDoodis: What’s the most important drum machine/kit to have changed music and why? I think maybe SP-12 or the 1200, but kinda want to say drumulator or Rhythm Maker King 2 gave us some classic shit.
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @DocPep yes. just use temp.pm or snote
  20. Terrylolol @ Terrylolol: Hope everyone has a fantastic week!
Back