Beauty And Skin Care Tips From Our Beautiful Ladies

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
Hi everyone, I am a bit of an expert on skincare for men and women, makeup and cruelty free beauty products so if anyone has any questions or wants a free tailor made beauty regime please reply or PM with details about your skin. I'm 39 but my skin makes me look a lot younger and I can give advice for you to have skin like that too. I can start posting general advice and recommendations on cruelty free products, bearing in mind I am in the UK though but I just wanted to test the waters and see if people would be interested in this. If so should I create my own thread or just post here? I would really love some advice please.

2mp

I have extremely dry face skin specifically my nose and sides of nose as well as eye area and cheeks. I can't even wear makeup because you can see my skin peel. I don't know what to use for dry skin that works.........

I have extremely dry face skin specifically my nose and sides of nose as well as eye area and cheeks. I can't even wear makeup because you can see my skin peel. I don't know what to use for dry skin that works.........
Have you ever tried using unrefined coconut oil?  

I'm not sure of everyone's age but I'm close to 50 and the coconut oil functions as a great inexpensive moisturizer and also functions as other skin care products. Can be used as a moisturize - I also use as makeup remover. Also use sometimes when I'm shaving in shower.  I'm a big fan of meaningful beauty so I don't always use as moisturizer - but use when my skin is extra dry. Makes an excellent mascara remover. 

A couple of Retin-A experience with online pharms recently.... one is very troubling. 

Bought 6 tubes Retin-A (half the cream o.o5% and half the gel 0.1%) from ReliableRx.com. This is a sister site for alldaychemist.com . The Retin-A they sent, there is something wrong. It's made my skin on my neck itch horribly and, what can only be described as patchy 'hives' appeared all over my neck area. so itchy and blotchy. And also - it didn't work. the wrinkles i see (and i'm mid-30s, so they are fine wrinkles, not like I'm looking for a facelift with using the Retin-A. it just works on my vanity and a few slight things that bother me) usually look like !poof! gone by morning! but they almost looked worse.

Also I'm certain it's something wrong with the Retin-A compound itself, because i do have oily skin and break outs, and started actually having break OUTs after a couple of days on the gel and cream. I use gel at night and cream during the day. So Retin-A always, no matter what, clears up my skin of any oily breakout-looking areas. It's because of the high vitamin A in (tretinoin) it. 

Anyways. it's good that this IOP is so cheap i guess. But in the past I've gotten antibiotics for a tooth access, as well as a couple other things I just didn't want to have to go to the trouble of going to a doctor (my insurance never pays anything, ever, ever it seems), so now I'm worried about buying other stuff from this IOP (I mean i have another bad toothache and need some antibiotics but ..kind of feel like, who knows what i'm actually getting from them!?). 

But i've bought Retin-A from e-bay (one good experience - but it cost like $60 for a tube. But then the next time, the person never sent the tube and i got refunded by ebay ?).

My best experience has been with Tara skin care. They are online and ship from somewhere in California (my guess is it's a border town and the retin-a is over the counter in MX or something. not sure), Its a little more expensive (like $30 a tube. which is about six times the cost of reliablerx Retin-A. But half of the ebay price). 

So that's my recent experience. Don't want any of the lovely DBG ladies getting hives !

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the tara skin care but they have mostly horrible reviews on Yelp.   Do you actually get good service from them?

I did, yes. Ordered and received in about 5 days. Product was good. I don't have any complaints, it was very straightforward. Kind of glad i didn't see the yelp reviews or I wouldn't have tried them :) but ebay was a bust. 

Additionally, I should say that since i wrote the previous review, I've used my ReliableRX Retin-A. I think part of the problem was that the Reliable RX dries my skin out more or possibly irritates it just a little, but causes so much itching that I end up scratching my neck and face so much that it gets very irritated. Ive been using the reliable RX but resisting the urge to scratch, and instead applying a thin layer of vaseline when it is itchy, which has worked. 

@Yukon4E2 could you allow messages from me. I just wanted to apologize for the way i handled things. I tried sending pm but im blocked...would like to expain my side of the story if you can give me a chance...

Also, in case anyone is interested in Latisse, i found a good supplier i Canada for it. Its called "careprost" been using for ~6 weeks and notice.a difference. Quick google search should comeup with it. Great product and fast shipping. Just really ladies, you MUST use everyday or the longer ones will fall out :(

I've ordered one tube of .5 Tretinoin  from a seller on Poshmark, a good brand  (recent date of purchase) recommended by a friend.  I wanted to stock up on the .1 also, but the only thing that I can find on that site is from India and a gel form instead of a cream form which is supposed is to cause more drying?  I went to All Day Chemist and the prices were much higher than I expected and they were also out of stock. I know in other countries it's like $12 per tube OVC, no script needed. I'm starting with low concentration Retin A OVC by Roc/ Neutrogena. 

I was just curious if anyone knew of any other current suppliers that had legit products and decent prices? 

And when it comes to make up, I use  mineral fusion almost exclusively... at least as foundations go. I have tried so many products, but I don't like the cakey/overly made up look and I find that the illuminating  Beauty balm or Mineral Fusion's perfecting beauty balm gives a nice glow with light coverage.  I like their primers too. I use a light concealer under the eye when needed. Not a fan of Bare Minerals. I love Mineral Fusion bronzers also. I recently tried a Mac shadow stick and love it...still haven't found the perfect mascara. Lancôme isn't bad. 

Any tips on how much redness/peeling/irritation I should expect when I start my .5 RX Retinol? 

Thanks!!!

I really need to get back into the beauty scene and find out what I should be asking Santa for.

My most recent purchase that I liked was Monsieur Big mascara by Lancome. I was watching HSN and since I usually want everything I see I don't order often but this demo hooked me and it actually lived up to my expectations. I love a good mascara!

I am still hunting for the perfect brow pencil. I'm stuck on not knowing what color to get. I have light blonde hair and my natural brows are dark. If I use the color of my brows they are too dark. When they look too dark I feel like it ages me. So far I have bought 6 different types and struck out every time.

I agree when we spoke about it last year. I only use a little blush powder  and lip gloss because like I said my husband says I look like a clown when  do it but now I'm trying Latisse. You can get it on Groupon a hell of a lot cheaper than from my plastic surgeon it was $250 for  a 3 month supply he said it takes 3 months to work so it's addictive because once you stop  your eyelashes go back to normal. I'll give results in two more months but next time I'm going through Mint Pharmacy on Groupon it's only $83 and it has the same active ingredient but for now I use the Lancôme and I'm happy with it too! Good luck @2earls

This is cool, I didn't realize this thread existed until I saw you had comment on it Heavenlee (I am stalking you LOL!).

@2earls, I have the problem opposite of yours, my eyebrows are too light for my haircolor. However, when it comes to finding the right color of brow pencil, I definitely feel your pain. I am a redhead (its dark red, but not quite "auburn"). So nothing matches, but because my eyebrows are so light, it makes me look washed out if I don't use something. So I ditched the idea of using a pencil and turned to powder, although not the kind made for eyebrows, but actual eyeshadow. The only makeup line this really works for though is MAC.  But, there isn't even one there that matches exactly, so I mix a few different colors together, and perfecto!  

You have to get the matte colors, and apply them with a damp wedged brush. Damping the brush is the key to making it stay on & not smudge (if you get it really damp, you can actually wear it as eyeliner too). An interesting FYI, MAC was originally developed as stage makeup, that why they have all the bright crazy colors & why there products are so versatile (I only know that because my sister used to be a cosmetologist). 

So for you, you might want to try a few different shades that are lighter than your brow color. Maybe like a darker carmel color as a base and then add some lighter colors. You will want to brush the color into your brows (if they are thick), not just on the top of the hairs. You could go to a department store & try a few colors (you'll undoubtedly have to try them on dry, but at least it will give you an idea of color). That way if you don't like it, you haven't lost any $.  I haven't tried to buy a brow pencil in the 15 years since I have discovered this idea.  It takes less time, and looks more natural than using a pencil as well. Here is a picture of the brush I use (it's made by Stila) and the color I use the most of (it's called saddle). Anyway, just thought I'd toss the idea your way. I will definitely try that mascara you mentioned. That is a problem item for me too, because almost everything makes my eyes itch, but Lancôme is one of the few that works for me, so thanks for the tip!

image.jpeg

@Heavenlee, girl that stuff works like a charm! I have thin short lashes, and after a few months (it does take a while) of using Latisse, it looked like I was wearing lash extensions/fakes. They got so long in fact I could actually feel them brush against the inside of my sunglasses/reading glasses when I blinked.  

Eventually though it began to irritate my eyes, so now I am using Revitalash. It doesn't work quite as well, but I am still really impressed by it, and it is A LOT less expensive.  

Like you, I am a makeup minimalist these days.  I have had my lash line permanently tattooed and I absolutely love it! But I usually only wear tinted sunscreen with a dust of translucent powder, brows, and lips.  If I am going out somewhere nice though, I do it all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
“I am a makeup minimalist these days” - I have no business here, but if Sephora knew what (IMO) many/most guys thought about make-up, they’d go under.  I see before/after pics in magazines and just wonder WTF was she thinking - “before” she looks fabulous.  Wrinkles aren’t all bad, or freckles, etc.  Natural wins....

LOL @Andy Monroe! Nonsense, it's always nice to have dudes take on things. I have to say you pretty much echo what most of my guy friends, past boyfriends, and husband think...Less is more, and I agree.

I think where most chicks go wrong is by trying to use makeup to change the way they look rather than just using it enhance what they already have. I love my freckles! I'd never try & cover them up. 

I have tried everything under the sun expensive and colt favs and the only thing I use now is pure rose water to cleanse and joboja oil to moisturize. 

My skin is very dry, sometimes use cicaplast or mixa healing ointment. 

My hair is like straw though any recommendations for a good moisturing shampoo or conditioner? 

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back