Beauty And Skin Care Tips From Our Beautiful Ladies

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
Actually I was serious. I have yet to find my perfect eyebrow pencil. @Safari I have never used a gel and am not certain if it would work for me. I over plucked my eyebrows when I was young and the results are not having enough eyebrow left. I need to fill in a bit and gel sounds like it's more for darkening? I just don't like a heavy "drawn on" look and finding a color match seems impossible. I've been using a Dior pencil but it's just adequate, not fabulous.

I agree. Too many gels and liners suck.

I found that brow gel works really  well. In fact I found that the brow liner is too drawn in.

But, it took me years to find a gel that works. And works with the color of my hair. And as I said before - the majority has a red tint.

When using a gel you: 1) You have to use the gel really lightly, and 2) You have you have to find a color that matches your hair.

It was easy for me when my hair color was blonde. Now it is a dark blonde, with a hint of gray. Actually people say I look better with blonde, especially because I am 52 and they say that lighter looks better. But, I am tired of highlights or dyeing it all blonde. I slowly darkened it, using a hair dresser. Now she says "why go back to blonde or highlights, your hair is in really good condition and why ruin it?"

I found Bobbi Brown recently came out with a brow gel which is called "GRAY". It isn't gray, it is a color which is ashy brown. I bought a ton of them because I know how that product line changes colors all the time.

Other than Bobbi Brown, I found that Lancome makes a great product.

The hint to using brow gel and liner is to go LIGHTLY with the application. With gel, I make sure that the product is wiped clean to get rid of excess. You know making sure that when it comes out of the wand I spiral it. Like they tell you to do with mascara. 

Actually I have a liner made by Bobbi Brown which I use only occasion to fill in the areas that won't grow back. I too had an aesthetician, who for years took too much off and now they won't grow back. So you are not alone!

It really is a shame. Because the shape and color of your brows is the number one in making your face come out. They say that, but the product lines are so minimal in what they offer. A lot of lines don't even offer brow gels/liners!

You might want to try Anastasia, which makes brow grooming it's only thing. I couldn't find a color that matched my hair, but you may be lucky.

Actually I was serious. I have yet to find my perfect eyebrow pencil. @Safari I have never used a gel and am not certain if it would work for me. I over plucked my eyebrows when I was young and the results are not having enough eyebrow left. I need to fill in a bit and gel sounds like it's more for darkening? I just don't like a heavy "drawn on" look and finding a color match seems impossible. I've been using a Dior pencil but it's just adequate, not fabulous.
@2earls I did the same thing to my brows and I'm naturally blonde so my eyebrows are really light. I use Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade with the Anastassia eyebrow brush, Brush #12. (I think the brush is essential!) You get ridiculously good precision with the brush.

My eyebrows have never looked so good in my entire life! It has no reddish tone, doesn't smudge through the day, it lasts all day and a little goes a long way so the price really isn't so bad.I watched a YouTube tutorial before I started applying it too which had some great pointers. 

In my search for the perfect foundation (which has taken years and I have tried powders and mousse and everything in between), I have found a new product and I want to rave about it:

Max Factor has come out with a FOUNDATION + SERUM and it is AMAZING!

It is called "ageless elixir" and I use the 'golden 75' shade.

It is so light when applied--and I thought that would mean sacrificing the coverage--but no, it maintains its coverage and I just dust a little loose powder over the top--it looks like I am not wearing foundation at all and my skin looks flawless, like satin.  Been using it for over a week and haven't had any spots or dry skin or anything weird.  I use it directly on freshly washed skin--no moisturizer or primer or anything.  I went out and bought 2 more bottles of the stuff.

Flipping through TV channels QVC was selling IT Cosmetics foundation and it was flying off the shelves, so to speak.   Googled it to find out more about it.   Reviews were this was a fabulous product, so I decided to order it.  If I didn't like it, it would go in the drawer with all the rest of the duds.   Two things that intrigued me were an SPF of 50 and a moisturizer built into it.  

This foundation is amazing.   It doesn't reside in fine lines or deeper lines, for that matter.   It doesn't cause my mascara to smudge under my eyes.   At the end of some days at work, but for my clothing, I looked like I played professional baseball.   It is not shiny.    I would use rice powder for a matte finish which doesn't accentuate lines as much as a power would.    It doesn't dry my skin.   I can't say enough good things about this product.

Also, for anyone with finicky skin, a skin cleansing brush, such as Clarisonic but much less expensive products will suffice also such as what I use, are miracle workers on the skin.  I was using one when they became all the rage about 5 years ago.   I stopped using it for no particular reason.   Then my skin started to break out, and I NEVER had that problem.  I tried everything and I do mean everything.   Still the same problem.   One day I found the brush in my cabinet and decided to start using it again.  Not a breakout since.   Then it dawned on me that it's brush's ability to cleanse the pores is what keeps my skin glowing.   

So that's my story. :)

Love these tips ladies! My next purchase is going to be the brow products. I was so frustrated over the weekend with having to redo with my crappy  pencil and still looking weird. I change my hair color fairly often, so I would like to find a shade that flatters my skin tone vs my ever changing hair. The one I'm using now seems too dark and I feel like it's aging me. Don't need that! Probably should splurge on an assortment of colors to experiment or go to the cosmetic counter and let them try to figure it out. I always end up buying so much extra stuff when I have done that though. Which is the point of course; to sell you the entire line.

Here's my list of daily non-work products: 

kevyn aucoin make-up (I use just light stuff and sprays that give you a dewy glow)

Skin creame: Natural Bisse Diamond Extreme

Brows: (no issue is showing mine) Anastasia is "the best" but NYX at any drug store (waterproof in a tube) for 6$ with angled brush from elf with the comb on other end $2 is far superior

Last edited by a moderator:
The best beauty tip I've found is chemical peels.  You can find kits online or go to a spa.  I've tried a couple peels and it's definitely helps with my acne scars. 

yes yes yes beauty peels!  I just read your name and if you're in that city, I have a great Dr

yes yes yes beauty peels!  I just read your name and if you're in that city, I have a great Dr
Seeing this is a thread about tips for beauty, assuming it's for both genders I would like to request advice.

For thick eyebrows, would you recommend waxing or plucking? Both are fairly painful, but I'm not sure which one would be more effective.

Also, for men with a lot of body hair would you perhaps know a source or a way that I can see that my pores are clean around the body? It's difficult to see through body hair, that's the problem. I would just like to make sure my skins pores are clean after cleaning my skin if that makes more sense. 

Last but not least, is there a good fingernail length for men (nail cutting advice) that looks decent to people who pay attention to your hands - just to be more professional and appear cleaner so to speak which I'm sure everyone tries their best to maintain their hygiene that specific one has me stumped. Not really looking to get my nails done or anything, but if there's a specific length to leave after cutting that would be good to know. 

Some of these questions might sound silly but was just curious. 

Hi Annie,
Just wondering - I've been thinking of trying a new foundation also...did you find that the IT color chart was accurate?  I wouldn't normally think of buying it online due to the color matching issue. I'm fair (but not porcelain) and I have yellow/warm undertones - some brands make their light colors way too pink or too chalky-white.  I would love to know more about how you properly chose the color and if was true to the online chart you saw, thanks!  I've heard a lot about that foundation too :)

Flipping through TV channels QVC was selling IT Cosmetics foundation and it was flying off the shelves, so to speak.   Googled it to find out more about it.   Reviews were this was a fabulous product, so I decided to order it.  If I didn't like it, it would go in the drawer with all the rest of the duds.   Two things that intrigued me were an SPF of 50 and a moisturizer built into it.  

This foundation is amazing.   It doesn't reside in fine lines or deeper lines, for that matter.   It doesn't cause my mascara to smudge under my eyes.   At the end of some days at work, but for my clothing, I looked like I played professional baseball.   It is not shiny.    I would use rice powder for a matte finish which doesn't accentuate lines as much as a power would.    It doesn't dry my skin.   I can't say enough good things about this product.

Also, for anyone with finicky skin, a skin cleansing brush, such as Clarisonic but much less expensive products will suffice also such as what I use, are miracle workers on the skin.  I was using one when they became all the rage about 5 years ago.   I stopped using it for no particular reason.   Then my skin started to break out, and I NEVER had that problem.  I tried everything and I do mean everything.   Still the same problem.   One day I found the brush in my cabinet and decided to start using it again.  Not a breakout since.   Then it dawned on me that it's brush's ability to cleanse the pores is what keeps my skin glowing.   

So that's my story. :)

Seeing this is a thread about tips for beauty, assuming it's for both genders I would like to request advice.

For thick eyebrows, would you recommend waxing or plucking? Both are fairly painful, but I'm not sure which one would be more effective.

Also, for men with a lot of body hair would you perhaps know a source or a way that I can see that my pores are clean around the body? It's difficult to see through body hair, that's the problem. I would just like to make sure my skins pores are clean after cleaning my skin if that makes more sense. 

Last but not least, is there a good fingernail length for men (nail cutting advice) that looks decent to people who pay attention to your hands - just to be more professional and appear cleaner so to speak which I'm sure everyone tries their best to maintain their hygiene that specific one has me stumped. Not really looking to get my nails done or anything, but if there's a specific length to leave after cutting that would be good to know. 

Some of these questions might sound silly but was just curious. 
@VII For thick I say waxing and then plucking the strays - although for a man I would go to a salon that caters to men with trimming/bleaching and waxing

For nails - any salon works but I like a nice short nail (clean) and clear gloss that's not too shiny

Just wondering - I've been thinking of trying a new foundation also...did you find that the IT color chart was accurate?  I wouldn't normally think of buying it online due to the color matching issue. I'm fair (but not porcelain) and I have yellow/warm undertones - some brands make their light colors way too pink or too chalky-white.  I would love to know more about how you properly chose the color and if was true to the online chart you saw, thanks!  I've heard a lot about that foundation too :)
@Trudy L I'm so fair that Mayo looks dark.  My go to is Lorlac or Makeupforever via Amazon.  I have peachy undertones but  sister has yellow undertones, we use the same brand (Lorlac)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VII
For thick I say waxing and then plucking the strays - although for a man I would go to a salon that caters to men with trimming/bleaching and waxing

For nails - any salon works but I like a nice short nail (clean) and clear gloss that's not too shiny
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep all of this in mind while finding the right products to do so.

Perhaps you'd know of a good place to buy waxing supplies at a good price? I'm fairly sure waxing is unisex. 

For gloss, what would you recommend using?

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep all of this in mind while finding the right products to do so.

Perhaps you'd know of a good place to buy waxing supplies at a good price? I'm fairly sure waxing is unisex. 

For gloss, what would you recommend using?
@VII oh lord, don't "do it yourself" waxing on the brows. DO NOT DO IT. I'm not sure where you are so I don't know where to recommend. Where I live - we have a place called "boys town".  It's the gay area of the city and there's a ton of male spas that do it all. Leave it to the experts for waxing - I'm not kidding you.  Otherwise you can go to any salon and have a male hair artiste do it for you. Most nail salons do waxing but I'm afraid you might come out with a bit of a femme arch (unless that's what you're seeking).  Waxing is not something one should attempt on their own - ever IMO.  It's too expensive to buy the correct kit anyway when a salon charges $20-$40 at the MOST. 

Gloss? If you know how to do a manicure? Sally Hensen makes a great "no light required" Glaze (gloss).  Typically found everywhere from CVS to Target for $10.  I love it. It's normally near Essie or OPI products,  Gloss is one of those things that if you just want a gloss and aren't putting it on top of color, ANY will do.  Shit, wet n' wild 99cents will do the trick lol

@VII oh lord, don't "do it yourself" waxing on the brows. DO NOT DO IT. I'm not sure where you are so I don't know where to recommend. Where I live - we have a place called "boys town".  It's the gay area of the city and there's a ton of male spas that do it all. Leave it to the experts for waxing - I'm not kidding you.  Otherwise you can go to any salon and have a male hair artiste do it for you. Most nail salons do waxing but I'm afraid you might come out with a bit of a femme arch (unless that's what you're seeking).  Waxing is not something one should attempt on their own - ever IMO.  It's too expensive to buy the correct kit anyway when a salon charges $20-$40 at the MOST. 

Gloss? If you know how to do a manicure? Sally Hensen makes a great "no light required" Glaze (gloss).  Typically found everywhere from CVS to Target for $10.  I love it. It's normally near Essie or OPI products,  Gloss is one of those things that if you just want a gloss and aren't putting it on top of color, ANY will do.  Shit, wet n' wild 99cents will do the trick lol
Thank you so much, I have a contact that can assist me with waxing which is why I asked. She was previously a professional in the beauty department. I'll ask her if shes willing to do it and where I can find the wax she needs. Shes always done my hair even though shes no longer in the salon business anymore. Fantastic work as always so I trust her with the waxing.

The glaze sounds good, not wanting to paint my nails but glossing them might be a nice genuine change! I'll take your advice with the brand of glosses seeing it sounds you have quite some experience with it. I really appreciate your assistance, I'll be contacting the woman I know that can help me with this a little later today and look into the products tomorrow if shes willing to do it. 

If she's licensed she can get everything she needs professionally at a discount :)  that's provided that her license is still valid etc :)

The husband has fairly heavy brows and gets them threaded once in awhile. Says it's painful but the results are better than when he messes with them himself. He has fabulous eyelashes though.

Men always get the full thick eye lashes (shakes fist) . I have to take a valium for threading, it's like getting a tattoo - annoyingly lil pinches. well worth it though. I thread these random hairs i get but I prefer not to lol

I'm the queen of cosmetics!  Got a question? Just ask me ;)

I mix cheap stuff with expensive all the time but there's tricks to it (vaseline). Just never buy cheap brushes other than elf eyebrown brushes.  Trust me.

Maybe I should give Elf another try. I bought a liner brush and it started disintegration on the first use. I probably just got a defective one if @SaintAlien has good luck, it's a small investment to try again. I'm still procrastinating on buying my brow products. (Been ordering to many other things ) :ph34r:

Buy the liner at the dollar tree (la looks) if you are seeking liquid

I don't use pencil except lower lid

The brush I'm referring to has the part for the brow on one end and slanted on the other end for the liquid brow

Buy nyx liquid brow ($6 at cvs) in a shade you feel is right (it is water proof but I spray it to stay)

brush the brow and line - light towards the front and dark at the arch

I watch what my mua uses and snap photos to order it lol

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back