Beauty And Skin Care Tips From Our Beautiful Ladies

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
I too love philosophy "unconditional love" I use the lotion, body wash and perfume. I think I might be the only one who didnt know they had sold to Cody. I found that out yesterday. QVC had the set as their TSV so I ordered it. /default_smile.png

Okay, monistat as in the female "itch" cream? If that is so I am down for trying that!

Almost three years ago I had a terrible accident and ended up kissing the windshield with my entire face. Pieces of glass were enbedded along my jaw line so I have terrible scars that I have given up on trying to cover!

I am from the same camp on the bare minerals. I don't typically even try powder anymore as my face is just too oily. The bare minerals made my face look like I fell face-first into a bowl of powder.

I love this conversation too!
I don't like the Bare Minerals powder either but they've come out with a couple of pretty good liquid foundations. I'm using Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue now and really like it. It goes on with a brush but is pretty sheer and doesn't get stuck in the creases. I can't do the chalky look either.

I have hardly ever used foundation, but with aging, I'm finding that the Chanel powder I use is not cutting it alone. I need something to bring back some of that "dewiness". @Roger, my friend recommended bare minerals foundation too. Now I think I'll try it because I feel like this powder stuff is making me chalky. It's so quick and easy but I guess it's time to add foundation to the regime.

I have hardly ever used foundation, but with aging, I'm finding that the Chanel powder I use is not cutting it alone. I need something to bring back some of that "dewiness". @Roger, my friend recommended bare minerals foundation too. Now I think I'll try it because I feel like this powder stuff is making me chalky. It's so quick and easy but I guess it's time to add foundation to the regime.
I would recommend the liquid Bare Mineral product as opposed to the powder ones. It is sheer and does give the dewy effect. The tinted moisturizer gives the same but I can't tell much difference between the two. I always use some spot concealer under my eyes (because I need it) as there are some places on my face that need a heavier coverage.

This is a silly question but what is BB cream?

@Roger totally not a silly question! These "bb,cc and soon to hit dd" formulations immigrated from Asia around 2012. There is way more explanations behind their letters but I will tell you in a quick shot what they broadly do:

bb = blemish balm/beauty balm and it is heavier then the other alphabets.

cc = color correcting and these are suppose to be lighter in coverage.

dd = dynamic duo/daily defense this should hit the US markets sometime this year. The ones who have tested it say it really seems like the cream and results are the same as bb and cc.

/default_smile.png I hope that helps! like I said I gave just a quick summation. Like all things the way each one behaves on your skin is dependent on who makes it.

Last edited:
Thank you Shelle! So there are different brands of bb and cc creams? Can they be found at a retail like Ulta or Sephora or maybe even a Walgreens etc?

I've heard of people referring to bb creams and I thought it was a brand in and of itself.

Okay lovelies ! I've been wanting to try this product for a while (if you saw my post in the Retinol thread, you know I got the CRAP burnt out of me the last time I got a wax)...and now i think might be a good time to try it and report back to y'all!

I'm working form home today and working on my lecture for this evening. So I'll give it a try and let you know how it all goes down ! I'm going to try a lower leg first, bc that seems like the least-painful spot.

PS I got me some avon glycolic peels on the wayyyyyyyyyy

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I am going to have to look at those Avon pads. I had a trial of the ones the philosophy makes but they were like $90-$100.

I am with you too ajmorgan99, my skin is really oily too. My derm always said when I was in my 50's and my friends were all wrinkled I would be happy. Well, I am at 50. Still not happy about it! /default_smile.png

I quit trying the makeup for "oily" skin. I did find a primer made for women of color that does help with the shine. Plus I stay fairly dark all year round that I don't look pasty without foundation.

I also just found a new eyeliner I am in love with--my eyelids are oily too and usually by 10 am my eyeliner has slid away. The new stuff I am using is Mally's bulletproof.
What is the primer you use?? I don't really understand the difference between primer and foundation...Thank you!

ive always used Clinique powder but am curious about Chanel. Im curious about all Chanel products. Bare minerals makes me break out, unfortunately. Is the Chanel powder heavy?

Thank you Shelle! So there are different brands of bb and cc creams? Can they be found at a retail like Ulta or Sephora or maybe even a Walgreens etc? I've heard of people referring to bb creams and I thought it was a brand in and of itself.
It's crazy, isn't it? Yes, there is now pretty a selection of bb/cc line in most manufacturers. Each one can be a different formulation based mostly on what that brand is known for like some brands have a higher SPF and you typically see that in a brand that has a stake in protecting skin.
I cant give any recommendations as I never can use much on my oily skin!

Last edited:
I use a primer that is suppose to help control the shine. The best one I found is pretty cheap and it works the best I have used. I don't remember the name but I will look. It's a line of cosmetics made for women of color. It's not a tinted primer. Most primers either smooth out uneven skins, correct color, etc. I think the theory is your foundation will sit better on primed skin--I guess like when you paint something? :)

Omg the philsophy ones are amazeballs. I love philosophy EVEYTHING until they sold the company, that is. Amazing Grace andPure Grace are the only perfunes that I wear. But the avons are better even! Yes that is the right product. The advanced retexturizing peel, glycolic with soothing extracts. You guys will love them! My skin can be sensitive at times i am allergic to lots of stuff....instead of zits I get hives. They take forever to go away!

I love highlighters but have yet to find one that doesnt make me out and out sparkle. I have some benefit ones.....i like them but i am gonna give them to my daughter (whenever I say daughter/son, i mean Ottos kids, sick of calling them "step kids", as they dont really have a Mom, except me) they are sparkly. Not too sparkly, but too sparkly for someone my age.

I am not big on eye makeup at ALL but I find that my eyes (which most say is my best feature) are not "popping" as I age. My lids are getting puffy too and I have bags under. I usually wear a serum or two, moisturizer and eye cream, then concealer and tinted mosturizer. I am BIG on not looking like I have makeup on at all. I have been experimenting with a violet eye pencil.....supposed to make green eyes "pop" but it just looks like someone kicked me in the eye...so I take it off.

I used to have a whole lot more money than I do....so I love inexpensive. Aka NOT philosophy!

God I could go on all night talking about is stuff! What kind of eye cream do you guys use. I currentlyuse ROC.....it is pretty good! I used to use La Mer....yep cant afford THAT anymore! Lol!
Hey Cat I agree about the benefit highlighter !! I tried them out in sephora and found them to be pretty but sparkly !!

(and i Love philosophy!)

Here is 1. bare face, before my highlighter.

2. Highligher application (no other make up on tho)

3. Can you see the highlighting after  I rub it in?

Funny how i look all peaceful and chill after the highlighter is rubbed in LOL

I don't like the Bare Minerals powder either but they've come out with a couple of pretty good liquid foundations. I'm using Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue now and really like it. It goes on with a brush but is pretty sheer and doesn't get stuck in the creases. I can't do the chalky look either.
I had the same experience with bare minerals as girlgirms... it just didn't look good on me and seemed to age me,  I look better when you can see my skin, lol... BUT, when I saw the commercial for their new foundation I had an AHA moment and I dug out the mineral powder that I had from a few years ago  and I figured I'd make my own.  So I took an empty cream container and squeezed in some light moisturizer I've been using (Meaningful Beauty) and added bare minerals powder a little at a time until I had the color I wanted and stirred with a baby spoon and was very pleased at how it turned out... perfect tinted moisturizer and it looks good on me.

Welcome back Roger... I missed you!!!!  Oh yeah, about the sunless tanning creme... I had a $50.00 gift certificate for Nordstroms so I decided to use it for that... went to one of the counters and the girl helped me find one that was under 50.00.  It is called Dr. Dennis Gross (Glow) 40.00... I remember telling the girl if my last name was Gross I would never put my name on a product, lol... but I do love this stuff and a little goes a super long way.. just a dot here and there, I've had it for a year now and still have some left.

What is the primer you use?? I don't really understand the difference between primer and foundation...Thank you!
The one I use is actually a powder/foundation. You can use it wet, which I never do, or dry for lighter coverage. The coverage is superior for a dry application powder type. I've tried many. Lancome makes a dual finish that's similar, but I find Chanel to be top of the line for many products.

Not that I'm a snob. If someone tells me about a great drugstore product, I'll try it!

What a FAB idea Suzie! I have some philosophy supernatural mineral foundation that I am gonna try to mix up. I also feel like i look better when you can see my skin. I like for my little bit of freckles to show through! I have very pale skin with pink undertones (yay Irish!) but it is SO hard to find a foundation color that matches. It seems that everything to too "yellow".....ohhhhh i wanna go try mixing it up right now!

Meaningful beauty is that Cindy Crawford line, right?

Self tanner......oh my I have spend thousands I think. I used to love tan towels, but ai found one i like better called "fake bake" . With one application i can get really nice color.....i have to use a balm on my elbows, knees and ankles....cuz then it looks normal. The stuff is NEVER orange. I think all tanners go on better with a mitt. Fake bake comes with one. Honestly, it is such a pain in the ass for me cuz it takes forever and i only do it for like weddings and stuff like that. I am not one to spend a whole bunch of time on how I look. Althugh lately, since I am not working, i have more time to spend and I probably should. I love Jergens natural glow for everyday. It is really hard to mess up cuz it is gradual. I HATE when a tan looks fake. Ew! It is really easy to do with my light skin.

So, speaking of spending not alot of time, i have been using this moisturizer since I was in my twenties. I will stray for awhile but I always come back to it. It is from Signature Club A (yeah, i am a home shopping freak) whoch is Adrienne Arpel's line. It os called five essentials cream. It is like a four oz jar, PLUS it has eye cream in the lid of the jar. AND it is twenty five bucks! When I could spend more, I did, but I always come right back to this. It has everything..glycolic acid, retinol, hyaluronic, peptides and one other thing, maybe vitamin C? (Dont quote me on that) Kind of like an all in one. I can really tell right away when I stop using it. i used to use it by itself, but now i use it with serums under it, since I am old......lol! In the winter I use organic rose hip oil as one of my serums. I, just recently had my cheeks and neck turn really dry. I think i will probably use oil all year round from now on! I have just started to investigate skin oils and I just purchased loreal age defy something or other. I got an ounce and a half, three bottles, on ebay for $13.48. I love it. I have yet to see if it gives me clogges pores. I cannot stand clogges pores.

Okay, i am off to mix my supernatural mineral stuff with some five essentials!

Ah I love this thread. I'll add my two cents when I have some time. I'm looking for a new sunless tanner, I'll need to read this thread later. I used to be a prolific tanning bed user but I care about my skin these days plus wrinkles are starting to pop up. See you guys later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For body lotion I only use Nivia creme and Palmers cocoa butter (the kind in the tub). Both inexpensive which is good because I use alot. Honestly, the 2 products I could not give up would be my lotion and my chapstick. I don't leave my house without my chapstick and a travel size Nivia.:)

I have primer from Meaningful Beauty (Cindy Crawford line) and what it does is it smooths and fills (lines and pores) so that when you put on foundation after,  the foundation goes on smoother and doesn't go into pores, lines, etc.  Think of what primer does when painting a wall... makes paint go on smoother.  Primer is clear, not tinted.

That is so smart! Does anyone else have sun spots on their legs? Like when I use a self tanner the pigment sticks to my spots and makes them look worse. I'm so fair skinned and simply ruined my legs getting tanned for 20 years.

I did find a GREAT product for just a spot of coverage for the legs though. It's called Perfekt. It has the consistency of MUD and it does wash off with soap and water but it has by far the most natural look of any product I've ever used. Doesn't bleed onto clothes if I wait 10 mins or so to dress.
So check that out if you are like me and have a hard time with self tanners.
I am going to try it on my face though!

The one I use is actually a powder/foundation. You can use it wet, which I never do, or dry for lighter coverage. The coverage is superior for a dry application powder type. I've tried many. Lancome makes a dual finish that's similar, but I find Chanel to be top of the line for many products.

Not that I'm a snob. If someone tells me about a great drugstore product, I'll try it!
That's me 2E. I can use drug store eye shadow like revlon but have never been able to use drug store brand foundations or mascara. I guess my skin needs more help!

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back