Benzo Addiction?

Hey there darkstein.

Well it's a bit complicated as it is dependent on dosage. The standard accepted medical information states at an average starting dosage (anywhere between 0.5mg-4mg) that it takes around 3-4 weeks for a weak dependence to develop.

Higher dosages will naturally take a bit less time but a month is still the general consensus in the med community for a real dependence to form and WDs (if only a month much more minor than say 3 or 4 months+ of course).

Hope this helps out man, benzo addiction / WD is a MOTHER as we all know but for the vast majority of us on here who need these medicines as the only solution to severe anxiety, phobias (such as agoraphobia), etc. honestly the best solution is a life sentence of staying on the benzos. It all depends, I don't want to encourage anyone to get addicted to something with as gnarly a WD as benzos (which with massive daily dosages abrupt cessation can and will cause seizure events, not quite as dramatic as with the barbiturates but true nonetheless), but how long have you been taking the Xan?

I'd say if you're under a 3 weeks and haven't explored all of the other alternatives then give it a break. You could even work with your doctor or if like myself *and alot of us DBGers* you have no insurance then with will power you could do what alot of people do and take benzos sporadically, specifically in deep panic situations and usually at a max of maybe 1-3 times a week (with xanax, atleast IME) then you should be fine.

Hope I've helped some my good man

It's only the last week or so. I've had some major life issues and it has been helping. I am very scared of addiction as I have gone thru quite a few. I'm only in my late 20's and I've hit all of them except opiates. So I just need to give a while between doses so as not to develop into something more fierce?

darkstien, I'm not sure you could get addicted to anything in a week under normal conditions.  it's almost physically impossible so you're okay. You may have mild anxiety for a day but that's it. I ain't no doctor but I have a lot of personal experience. 

In my opinion and probally everyone else benzos are absolutley the most addictive drug.  If taken properly and really infrequently a person will not become dependent. But there so  many factors thta mess things up big timewhile taking benzos.

As I said I really can't take benzos, only sparingly and make sure not to have any sizeable amount on hand. So the best amount for me is zero. Luckly me and my doc found out that Zoloft works pretty good for the anxiety and depression, good enough so I don't get panic attacks.

Be careful man, the big problem if you become dependent unlike most of drugs there is nothing to help with the detox of benzos.  When I became addicted I talked to my doc and he really helped me cause I was honest with him about everything. It you get into trouble talk to you doc or find a good one.

One more thing - 

God made Vicodin and the devil made Xanax

darkstien, I'm not sure you could get addicted to anything in a week under normal conditions.  it's almost physically impossible so you're okay. You may have mild anxiety for a day but that's it. I ain't no doctor but I have a lot of personal experience. 

In my opinion and probally everyone else benzos are absolutley the most addictive drug.  If taken properly and really infrequently a person will not become dependent. But there so  many factors thta mess things up big timewhile taking benzos.

As I said I really can't take benzos, only sparingly and make sure not to have any sizeable amount on hand. So the best amount for me is zero. Luckly me and my doc found out that Zoloft works pretty good for the anxiety and depression, good enough so I don't get panic attacks.

Be careful man, the big problem if you become dependent unlike most of drugs there is nothing to help with the detox of benzos.  When I became addicted I talked to my doc and he really helped me cause I was honest with him about everything. It you get into trouble talk to you doc or find a good one.

One more thing - 

God made Vicodin and the devil made Xanax
Right. I'm not specifically worried about it at this point but more so if I end up with it long term. I guess I just need to really monitor it if it turns out to be an extended period.

God made Vicodin?? Actually the German pharmaceutical company Knoll made Hydrocodone in 1920. "God" made people, chemists made pharmaceuticals, they all can be used for both good and bad intentions...

Benz addiction is a beast but it is a subtle beast and it takes awhile to develop. It doesn't even touch barb addiction. Unless you've been taking 20mg of Xanax a day then yes maybe I can see your point. You can in fact get addicted to something in a week, try shooting bags of heroin or smoking crack everyday for a week and report back. Sure the physical w/ds will subside if you stop after that week but the psychological ones won't.

It sounds like you're on the right track Darkstein. You'll be fine, just stay on top of it like you said my friend : )

First off there is no proof that any of the hundred gods people have believed in exist. No good made anyone. These people who made these things studied hard and worked hard to develops these drugs. I hate to hear anyone give some invisible being credit.

I am also concerned about benzos. I plan on using some when I kick mdone and I figure I week probably need a good month. I hate to have to go through wd on that after a month of hell from mdine detox.

If I were to stagger doses to every other day or something like that could I avoid the wd? I've always been an opiate guy. I know squat Scott benzo detox.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

It depends on each person cuz everyones different but if ur worried about physical addiction, i would taper down. I agree with the post above tht withdrawls are absolute hell!

Hi @Darkstein,

I am not a doctor so confirm any recommendation I make with your physician.

Benzo's are a high-risk for addition class of drugs.   Having said that, there are two potential issues:

1. Physical dependence - short term, if you take .5mg Xanax for a month straight 24x7 and feel physically ill when you stop, you have built a tolerance (need more for the same effect) and your brain has developed an affinity for a benzo in your "GABA" receptor.   You can simply taper yourself off by taking less each day until done.   The authoritative source for scheduling your taper would be found here http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm.  In fact the entire web site http://benzo.org.uk/ is a wealth of knowledge on benzo's in general if you have an interest.   Under no circumstances should you attempt to quit taking Xanax or any benzo "Cold Turkey" as this could result in seizures and potentially deadly withdrawal symptoms.

2. Addiction - Understand that #1 above is not addiction.  It is simply your body's adjustment to introduction of a foreign substance and how to get rid of it.   Addiction involves your behavior.   If you are taking Xanax recreationally and can't stop, following the above protocol won't cut it.  You will need to deal with the root cause of your addiction - the reason you are abusing this prescription medication.  A good therapist familiar with this problem would be a good start, along with a tapering protocol as described above.   During this process, participation in a peer support forum such as www.benzobuddies.org would be a good help as well.   

I hope this helps in some way.  Best of luck to you!

PR

Hi @Darkstein,

I am not a doctor so confirm any recommendation I make with your physician.

Benzo's are a high-risk for addition class of drugs. Having said that, there are two potential issues:

1. Physical dependence - short term, if you take .5mg Xanax for a month straight 24x7 and feel physically ill when you stop, you have built a tolerance (need more for the same effect) and your brain has developed an affinity for a benzo in your "GABA" receptor. You can simply taper yourself off by taking less each day until done. The authoritative source for scheduling your taper would be found here http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm. In fact the entire web site http://benzo.org.uk/ is a wealth of knowledge on benzo's in general if you have an interest. Under no circumstances should you attempt to quit taking Xanax or any benzo "Cold Turkey" as this could result in seizures and potentially deadly withdrawal symptoms.

2. Addiction - Understand that #1 above is not addiction. It is simply your body's adjustment to introduction of a foreign substance and how to get rid of it. Addiction involves your behavior. If you are taking Xanax recreationally and can't stop, following the above protocol won't cut it. You will need to deal with the root cause of your addiction - the reason you are abusing this prescription medication. A good therapist familiar with this problem would be a good start, along with a tapering protocol as described above. During this process, participation in a peer support forum such as www.benzobuddies.org would be a good help as well.

I hope this helps in some way. Best of luck to you!

PR
Great links there. I wish mdone could be kicked so painlessly with taper alone. I'm down to 8mg right now! Anyhow.. Great info.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

My intent is not to convey that benzo's can be easily kicked.  Take no shortcuts there.  Slow and easy wins the race.

8mgs of Mdone is EXCELLENT!   You made it that far you can do the rest.

At such a dose the best way to deal with the physical taper is to ask for a "blind detox" if that is offerered.

The concept is that you will be dosed but you not know what you are taking.

This is no way replaces the necessary counseling required to remain in recovery.

Best of luck!

PR

@Heisenberg - while I most humbly thank you for your post, it is a dubious honor, to be sure.  I have not, unfortunately compiled my wealth of knowledge through studying the subject.   I would rather be a wealth of knowledge in the area of treating a chronic medical condition or something of that ilk.

Nevertheless, I thank you, kind sir.  You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Kind regards,

PR

I've been taking them for 12 years.  I have real anxiety, social anxiety, etc.  I've never thought about what would happen if I went cold turkey.  Although, they other I went about 3 days without one and  I felt like sh^t and I think I also seized  up.  Scary.  So I will think about tapering and read through the forum again. 

Go hard or go home!

Rotax

I have been lucky to say i have never had an addiction to benz.  Although I take it regularly.  This takes carefully planning and discipline. I am not perfect... there are periods where I go many days with taking it.  I feel a small w/d coming off.   I have to stay disciplined...    It's not hard if you have a zero tolerance deviation plan.  It sucks but at least the tolerance level stays in check.      I was addicted to tramadol... and did not even know it... 

I've got one now, but tapering successfully so far Ashton method, about half way down the table now. 

For me it as pretty much right away.  I cannot take them respobsibly. 

I think the quote that you can't get addicted to anything in a week is outrageous as another poster said,i know from experience if you hit up or smoke  h€roun every day for a week and you most certainly will have a habit!!.

Same with crack cocain  or crystal meth,that was a stupid statement  doh?

PTFC you must be abt there keep up the taper bud....

Bliss. ...

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back