What Do You Do For Living

• Thread starter Thread starter doesit
  • Start date Start date
Sorry for the delay. Ya, i guess my dad would technically be an alumni. I know, "technically"? A particular team had him under contract throughout the 70s, but he never made the starting roster only played.. well i'd be guessing how many games, but not enough not make him  bother with any players association affairs. The "team" kept him in the AHL, then bounced him back&forth to virginia in the ECHL. By about 27 he finally realized the s*** $ he was making was about all he'd ever get, plus the "team" (for No reason at all) would not allow him to take an offer from a particular WHA team after him, so he wrapped it up.     Well, it's a little late for me to beg you to call Horn & pull some strings for me (since that's how 50% of the players made it anyway - politics). Indeed small world, maybe we'll Co-GM a NHL team someday. I have the flames GM on linkedin, maybe he can hook us up with some sweet front office jobs. 
LOL, well, I don't know about that front office thing. I had an offer to become director of collegiate scouting for an NHL club about 9 years ago, but with kids and my orthopedic situation, the life on the road gig wasn't for me. Anyway, my front office ship has likely sailed at my now advancing age, so I'll leave that for the big names and the young guys. I had my day, I've got 4 high school state championship rings and a state high school athletic hall of fame plaque to show for my efforts, and I made it a lot further than anyone ever thought I would, so it's all good! And yeah, I hear you. So long as you have the requisite talent, half the battle comes down to politics in many respects, and the other half is a matter of timing, which is true of many sports. One great example is a local friend of mine, who's father was a 3 time AAA baseball player of the year, and was widely described as the "second best shortstop to ever play in the White Sox organization". Unfortunately, the "best shortstop" to ever play for that club was Luis Aparicio, who was a few years younger than my friend's father, but came up more rapidly. The moral of the story being, he spent the 6 years tearing AAA to shreds and dominating on a daily basis while Luis's hall of fame career took off. I read an interview with Luis once that even included a quote that said, "if I'd have come along a year later, I wouldn't have had a job". So, the difference between a legendary hall of fame career and a long forgotten yet stellar minor league career can sometimes come down to nothing more than being in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: _X_
LOL, well, I don't know about that front office thing. I had an offer to become director of collegiate scouting for an NHL club about 9 years ago, but with kids and my orthopedic situation, the life on the road gig wasn't for me. Anyway, my front office ship has likely sailed at my now advancing age, so I'll leave that for the big names and the young guys. I had my day, I've got 4 high school state championship rings and a state high school athletic hall of fame plaque to show for my efforts, and I made it a lot further than anyone ever thought I would, so it's all good! And yeah, I hear you. So long as you have the requisite talent, half the battle comes down to politics in many respects, and the other half is a matter of timing, which is true of many sports. One great example is a local friend of mine, who's father was a 3 time AAA baseball player of the year, and was widely described as the "second best shortstop to ever play in the White Sox organization". Unfortunately, the "best shortstop" to ever play for that club was Luis Aparicio, who was a few years younger than my friend's father, but came up more rapidly. The moral of the story being, he spent the 6 years tearing AAA to shreds and dominating on a daily basis while Luis's hall of fame career took off. I read an interview with Luis once that even included a quote that said, "if I'd have come along a year later, I wouldn't have had a job". So, the difference between a legendary hall of fame career and a long forgotten yet stellar minor league career can sometimes come down to nothing more than being in the right place at the right time.
Ah, kids, say no more. Fascinating story though. Now that I think back, you're absolutely right, often timing/year is a make-or-break phenomena in sports. As for my trophy case: Elementary School Athlete of the Year, 1 High School Hockey City Championship, & graciously doled out relentless beatings on Johnny Boychuck (now of Boston Bruins fame) at the Calgary Hitmen camp. (dating myself a bit). - So, I think you win on merits. 

Ah, kids, say no more. Fascinating story though. Now that I think back, you're absolutely right, often timing/year is a make-or-break phenomena in sports. As for my trophy case: Elementary School Athlete of the Year, 1 High School Hockey City Championship, & graciously doled out relentless beatings on Johnny Boychuck (now of Boston Bruins fame) at the Calgary Hitmen camp. (dating myself a bit). - So, I think you win on merits. 
Well good sir, I don't know about that. I don't know about you, but I'm not fabulously wealthy, I don't own a vineyard, and I never married a Victoria's Secret model or any such thing, and we're both here on DBG posting on a Saturday afternoon. So, I'd say that's pretty much a dead heat, LOL.

Well good sir, I don't know about that. I don't know about you, but I'm not fabulously wealthy, I don't own a vineyard, and I never married a Victoria's Secret model or any such thing, and we're both here on DBG posting on a Saturday afternoon. So, I'd say that's pretty much a dead heat, LOL.
Wealth + Vineyard + Wife/VS Model = Success.     S***, with wisdom like that you're going to put Tony Robbins out of business.

I'm a bank manager in a small southern town USA. Use to be in the electrical utility business for 18 years, got laid off in 2002, been in banking since then, not really a fan of it, I'm good at it because I understand numbers and finance. Loved the utility business and received a world of experience in that world, started off as accountant, then lobbyist, project management, and call center management. Enjoyed it all till it came to an end. Banking not bad, but it's turned more into sale than really helping people. It's all about the numbers, but hey, it pays the bills. If I can hang on 6 to 7 more years, I'm hanging it up. That's my goal and I'm sticking to it.

search through the channels till i find hannah montana,then i bust all ova tha wall panelin(lol)(of course)

I was forced into a very early retirement due to an injury. Was in sales and and a cushy job it was. But not having to work for a living ain't so bad either! Now I have the time but not so much the $.

I work in Real Estate and Property Preservation for a major bank in the states....In case anyone gives a shit! /default_wink.png

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back