Best Ever Album?

@Heavenlee I am prolly of your generation.....I can sing more "Culture Club" and "Duran Duran" than I care to admit.  I remember when they actually showed videos on MTV and Billy Idol was on every 10 mins.    My taste in music has come completely full circle....I grew up a metal head (Zeppelin, Ozzy, Sabbath, Maiden, and Ac/Dc), then turned into a big Dead fan (over 40) shows and a big jam band fan (Widespread Panic).  Now I am back to my metal roots with a few additions  Slayer, Anthrax, Fugazi, Bad Brains, and the like.  Its weird how tastes evolve!!!

@aintnouse sitting in the waiting room, i wait I wait I wait I wait. I always sing Fugazi while I'm at the doctors. You sound exactly like me. I was into metal too in highschool then in college I toured with the Dead and Dave Mathews Band, I am now open to more music. I mostly gone back to my roots too but open to new music too! Love Led Zeppelin I think Kashmir is the greatest song. Just saw 21 Pilots at Red Rocks in Colorado. Awesome show, but any show at Red Rocks is great! Love to chat private you are the same as me! I have to say you have great taste in music! 

@aintnouseLove the Allman Bros saw them live twice. Once with Duane.

Think I'll spin some Zep.

View attachment 1340
In the name of all the Houses of the Holy, that monster turntable and my first and fave Zep album nearly made me blind with joy.  Would love to know what speakers are handling the sound.

I too got to see the Allman Bros just once, two years ago in a fairly intimate setting.  He had all young folks as his band (a mix of Southern and...gasp!..Northern boys) and played all the classics but with a very different sound/musical arrangement.  It was beautiful, as was he.  Gregg is still ridiculously gorgeous.

Another one of my all-time faves:

Joe Cocker:  Mad Dogs and Englishmen (featuring my hometown boy, Leon Russell).  The album included this massive foldout.  They filmed the entire tour and made the documentary into a feature film which was a gobsmacking spectacle of rock's biggest names traveling around America with party bus cameos including the beloved Miss Janis Joplin. 

25397_5.jpg

In the name of all the Houses of the Holy, that monster turntable and my first and fave Zep album nearly made me blind with joy.  Would love to know what speakers are handling the sound.

I too got to see the Allman Bros just once, two years ago in a fairly intimate setting.  He had all young folks as his band (a mix of Southern and...gasp!..Northern boys) and played all the classics but with a very different sound/musical arrangement.  It was beautiful, as was he.  Gregg is still ridiculously gorgeous.

Another one of my all-time faves:

Joe Cocker:  Mad Dogs and Englishmen (featuring my hometown boy, Leon Russell).  The album included this massive foldout.  They filmed the entire tour and made the documentary into a feature film which was a gobsmacking spectacle of rock's biggest names traveling around America with party bus cameos including the beloved Miss Janis Joplin. 

25397_5.jpg
Hey @DippityDoo

Speakers are Von Schweikert VR4-SR and sound amazing. Here's the rest of the set up in a dedicated home theater/listening room. What you can't see is 2 walls lined with approximately 3,000 albums. You name it..I got it. ;)

View attachment 1411

View attachment 1412

As I wind down the evening, thought I'd throw on my favorite Hendrix spinner the ultra rare UK/Track issue of Electric Ladyland. I'm soooo jealous of our friends across the pond as they seem to get the best pressings of classic music. I have the full Beatles catalog in both US and UK pressings and I prefer the UK pressings for overall sound quality.

To the mods, I'm hoping this cover conforms to the forum rules. Didn't read anything to the contrary and it did hit the shelves in Europe when it was released. If it offends anyone my apologies in advance.

View attachment 1413

@runnerlklooking nice! And l love the Hendrix art on the right it is looking awesome! My husband is so jealous! I just showed it to him. If he was a good boy he could have a set up like yours!  Not yet proven to my satisfaction! Lol ! Also thanks for the pm! That's funny my husband got teary eyed also as@DippityDoo stated! Boys and their toys! But I must admit, I'm in love too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Speakers are Von Schweikert VR4-SR and sound amazing. Here's the rest of the set up in a dedicated home theater/listening room. What you can't see is 2 walls lined with approximately 3,000 albums. You name it..I got it. ;)

View attachment 1411

View attachment 1412
As I scrolled down the page and the photo of the turntable, amp, pre-amp and all manner of audio goodies filled my 18" inch laptop screen, I immediately felt awash in goosebumps.

I hold my breath and continue scrolling down until the your speakers and your screen photo fills my screen and as god as my witness I actually get teary-eyed.  I have never gotten misty-eyed at the sight of a spectacular sound system, but by golly this one done did it to me.

I now imagine what some of my fave songs would sound like on that system, and if just imagining such exquisite sound is so blissful, I suspect hearing it in person could cure cancer and end wars.

Magic is what you have built, good sir.  Pure farking magic.

Thanks @DippityDooit's been my hobby ever since I got out of college and got a "real job" ;) My ex wife used to tell me how it was a waste of money so @Heavenlee I get the "boy and their toys". But my reasoning to her was, some of my friends have Harleys, boats or stangs. I got 2 channel audio and it's a hell of a lot safer. What's the worst I can get? Zapped by a bad wire? Every year I do some kind of upgrade. They are getting kinda expensive after nearly 40 years but to me it's worth every dime. Earlier this year I dropped some serious cash on a new cartridge for my turntable. I heal off playing any of my reference material until the cart was broken in...about 100 hours then I put on my master recording of Dark Side of the Moon sat back and was blown away. After listening to DSOTM since my teen years, I actually heard notes that I had never heard before. It was like hearing it for the first time. So I continue my quest for audio nirvana...adding and subtracting components, scouring the yard sales for that precious recording. Some say I'm addicted...call it what you want. I call it my passion. So time to spin some Stevie Ray Vaughn.

time to spin some Stevie Ray Vaughn.
@runnerlk

Okay, next day and am STILL thinking about this one statement.  Which album did you play and which song delights your senses most when heard through your audiophile's dream gear?

Stevie died over a quarter century ago, 26 years ago to be exact, and to this day I still cannot speak out loud about his death with any semblance of distance or composure.  Stevie was our hometown Dallas boy; a thoroughly good and decent man who survived poverty, the perils of a scattered childhood and the fierce inner demons that so often come with such circumstances.  He worked his fingers literally to the bone to master his craft, making him legendary for his unique sound and awe-inspiring to watch.

For something a bit different, here's Stevie on MTV Unplugged doing Pride and Joy on a 12-string.  I find his voice and phrasing just as intoxicating and Texas-delicious as his funky-blues guitar magic. 

Show date January 30, 1990, seven months before he died on August 27, 1990.

On 9/4/2016 at 11:02 AM, DippityDoo said:

@runnerlk

Okay, next day and am STILL thinking about this one statement.  Which album did you play and which song delights your senses most when heard through your audiophile's dream gear?

Stevie died over a quarter century ago, 26 years ago to be exact, and to this day I still cannot speak out loud about his death with any semblance of distance or composure.  Stevie was our hometown Dallas boy; a thoroughly good and decent man who survived poverty, the perils of a scattered childhood and the fierce inner demons that so often come with such circumstances.  He worked his fingers literally to the bone to master his craft, making him legendary for his unique sound and awe-inspiring to watch.

For something a bit different, here's Stevie on MTV Unplugged doing Pride and Joy on a 12-string.  I find his voice and phrasing just as intoxicating and Texas-delicious as his funky-blues guitar magic. 

Show date January 30, 1990, seven months before he died on August 27, 1990.

Great SRV video @DippityDoo, an amazing talent. Like so many gone too soon. For me I have been a long time Beatles fanatic and have an  original UK pressing of Abbey Road without Her Majesty....very rare. So the side 2 medley that starts with "You never give me your money" and ends with "The End" is the tune or tunes that evoke the full array of emotions in me. In my mind the best band playing at their best.

I do love me so SRV...One of my favorite guitar players is Dick Dale, the legendary King of the Surf Guitar!   I have seen him in concert 3x and he is absolutely amazing.  Here is a video of him doing Pipeline with SRV in 1987.   The video is terrible but the guitars sound great!

If you notice.....Dick plays his guitar left and and upside down....Check out some of his other stuff....absolutely mind boggling for a self taught guitar player.  I saw him last year, he is almost 80 years old and a cancer survivor and he blew me away.  I actually got to meet him about 16 years ago and he has such a gentle soul and a beautiful spirit.  

The video is pretty cheesy so close your eyes and listen to the guitar!

Dick Dale, the legendary King of the Surf Guitar!
@aintnouse Wow, first I've heard of the guy!  I really need to get out more.  You were right about the cheesy video; ZOMG I THINK I'M LACTOSE INTOLERABLE NOW!!  You're also right about Dick Dale; he's a master of Surf Rock guitar.  Looks like Dick and Stevie had a good time and I so love when that happens.

@aintnouseI knew you told me about Dick Dale, but he's awesome. I hope they  have him on Apple Music. We have family sharing on all our iPods iPads and iPhones that brings like 3 generations together. Since I'm in my early 40's and my husbands in his 60's and my son is 18. It's freaking crazy to look at the music combined over all these generations. Most of which my son makes fun of me because I know little about the music he listens too. Best album ever Get Your Ya Yas Out by Rolling Stones. Led Zeppelin's first album. Grateful Dead Live Dead, that double live album with Alligator and Def Star and St Stephen. Then I go to my generation Pearl Jam Vitology Nirvana Nevermind Dinosour Jr Green Mind and Where You Been. My sons generation I love 21 Pilots, gotten to see them a few times but was probably the oldest person in the audience! Oh, I want to see Steely Dan with Steve Winwood a few weeks back with my husband. I felt like the youngest person there, but it was really good, surprisingly. I promise my list will go on. Oh I just remembered Modest Mouse! See that's what I'm saying. More to come!

On 9/7/2016 at 7:52 AM, aintnouse said:

I do love me so SRV...One of my favorite guitar players is Dick Dale, the legendary King of the Surf Guitar!   I have seen him in concert 3x and he is absolutely amazing.  Here is a video of him doing Pipeline with SRV in 1987.   The video is terrible but the guitars sound great!

If you notice.....Dick plays his guitar left and and upside down....Check out some of his other stuff....absolutely mind boggling for a self taught guitar player.  I saw him last year, he is almost 80 years old and a cancer survivor and he blew me away.  I actually got to meet him about 16 years ago and he has such a gentle soul and a beautiful spirit.  

The video is pretty cheesy so close your eyes and listen to the guitar!

Thought I would start my weekend off with some SRV. Here he is with his mentor Albert King jammin to some of their famous old blues standards. Amaxing album sonically. Plus the banter back and forth between the two is worth the price of admission. 45 RPM reissue and I will probably pick up a second. ;)

View attachment 1427

And again @runnerlk,  my husband is so jealous definitely have been a better boy then he might have a nice one. too!  But that sounds like a delightful thing to do on a Friday night couldn't think of anything better to do myself!

Thought I would start my weekend off with some SRV. Here he is with his mentor Albert King jammin to some of their famous old blues standards. Amaxing album sonically. Plus the banter back and forth between the two is worth the price of admission. 45 RPM reissue and I will probably pick up a second. ;)

View attachment 1427
@runnerlk

1.  I missed this post!

II.  How did I miss this post??

C.  I MISSED THIS POST WTF!!!

Earlier when we were discussing SRV, I was looking for a special work of his, something I'd not heard of and something not widely known.  And up pops Stevie with Albert King recorded on the Stax label.  Holy cow, that is one sacred moment on one sacred label right there.  So I sez to myself, I sez:  "Self?  I bet runnerlk's already got this classic!"  And sure enough, there it is on his album stand.  What a koinkidink!  So I found the video on YouTube, watched the whole session and what struck me most about Stevie is how little he speaks.  The reason Stevie doesn't say much during breaks is NOT because he's not paying attention.  The reason Stevie's not speaking is because he's actually listening to King's guitar and King's banter between songs.  You can hear how careful Stevie is to NOT overplay with King.  Like you said, King was one of Stevie's first mentors and he respects King with much gratitude. 

@DippityDoo, I haven't forgotten to write you back because I got to tell you a story about the movie Rush! But when I have saw @runnerlk post I was thinking where is @DippityDoo!!!!   I went and looked at the video and everything you said is point on you are a gem to have on this board I love you girl !  And thank you for  getting me to check out the video and watching it and looking at your points and I was amazed how right you were you're a gem!

New here, but i gotta say that when you join a new forum and the taste in music is this good that's always a good sign :D

Good albums, where to start? I would say most albums made by:

Beatles - Abbey Road my personal favourite, Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, Revolver Let it Be and The white album must be mentioned too

Bob Dylan - Blood on the tracks, Time out of Mind, Desire and Basement Tapes especially

Johnny Cash - American series and San Quentin and Folsom live albums

Willie Nelson - especially his outlaw country from the early seventies: Red Headed Stranger, Stardust, Shotgun Willie

David Bowie - (He is the messiah! =) Ziggy Stardust is the best. too many others to mention.

Tom Waits - never made a bad album. I adore the Big Time live album. other than that there are to many to mention like with Bowie

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska personal favourite. Darkness at the Edge of Town, Born to Run, The River, We Shall Overcome

Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1977), Love over Gold

I'll stop there because my list is getting long and there's so much music i like that i could go on a long time. I'll add that i'm a great fan of old blues and folk as well, some of it pretty obscure and also classical music

For those showing off their stereos i'm envious. Recently sold my own stereo (Proac d80 speakers, bryston BP26 pre amplifiers, and Electrocompagniet AW-180 for any hi-fi geeks who might be interested). All i have now is my sennheiser hd850 headset :/

Recently sold my own stereo (Proac d80 speakers, bryston BP26 pre amplifiers, and Electrocompagniet AW-180 for any hi-fi geeks who might be interested).
Oh, the horror!  Oh, the audiophilemanity!  My deepest, most sincere condolences for your loss.

Perhaps this little story will offer you a momentary giggle from your tech-induced grieving:  My pops was always the first to get in on new audio/visual tech.   My pops, a man so cheap he put notes on the a/c thermostat banning all from touching it because he hated paying the $%#@& electric company for reasons unknown.  This man used the same briefcase for 50 years, its remaining shreds of leather barely clinging to the hectares of duct tape he wrapped around it "because it's still got some use left, that's why!!"  This man would walk away from a car deal over a NICKEL.  A NICKEL!!  And that's no exaggeration as my horrified mother can attest to. 

This very same man PAID $1,000 FOR THE VERY FIRST VCR.  And I can assure you that wasn't the starting price; he got them DOWN to $1,000.  No doubt the traumatized, scarred-for-life salesdude prolly also had to be talked down...from the teetering ledge of multistory building afterward.

Am fairly sure it wasn't a Betamax, so pops called that future-tech decision correctly as well. 

80s-vhs-recorder.jpg

I am impressed with the old favs I've seen here, and am still drooling over the sound system above. My fav, on vinyl, of course, Live From Big Pink.

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back