Best Ever Album?

@Jellopanda omg I can't believe I forgot David Bowie, he is or was a god to me! I see you are new to this board, and a welcome list to see, your list is awesome. I had to put on Ziggy Stardust when I saw you write him on your list. Like you said too many Bowie albums that are superior! And Tom Waits, it's been years since I've listened to him. I loved him during my college years, brought back so many good memories. I'm definitely putting him next on rotation. He reminds me of my first year of college and being introduced to new music by the punk rock kids that hung out in Berkeley and UCLA. Thanks so much for adding these. I'm in heaven rightnow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the horror!  Oh, the audiophilemanity!  My deepest, most sincere condolences for your loss.

Perhaps this little story will offer you a momentary giggle from your tech-induced grieving:  My pops was always the first to get in on new audio/visual tech.   My pops, a man so cheap he put notes on the a/c thermostat banning all from touching it because he hated paying the $%#@& electric company for reasons unknown.  This man used the same briefcase for 50 years, its remaining shreds of leather barely clinging to the hectares of duct tape he wrapped around it "because it's still got some use left, that's why!!"  This man would walk away from a car deal over a NICKEL.  A NICKEL!!  And that's no exaggeration as my horrified mother can attest to. 

This very same man PAID $1,000 FOR THE VERY FIRST VCR.  And I can assure you that wasn't the starting price; he got them DOWN to $1,000.  No doubt the traumatized, scarred-for-life salesdude prolly also had to be talked down...from the teetering ledge of multistory building afterward.

Am fairly sure it wasn't a Betamax, so pops called that future-tech decision correctly as well. 

80s-vhs-recorder.jpg
@Jellopanda Sorry to hear you sold the Proacs and the Bryston, very nice gear indeed. @DippityDooSadly much like you dad I flushed many a $$$ down the toilet on technology that didn't survive. Betamax...had 2...then after the pain subsided and HD-DVD made a splash I owned a few of those at over a grand a pop. Oh then, the early blu-ray players...don't even go there...many a $$$ spent there. But alas it is my hobby and those you know me or have seen my setup, without bragging it is to die for. I can play Abbey Road close my eyes and yep..Sir Paul on my lap...okay that's a lil weird...but you get the picture. So Friday signals the end of the month and forthcoming will be a tidy bonus check which will certainly make it's way to my local 2 channel stereo dealer as I am going to upgrade my turntable cartridge which sounds simple but is a massive technical and spiritual adventure. More on that later ;)

I can play Abbey Road close my eyes and yep..Sir Paul on my lap...okay that's a lil weird...but you get the picture.
I really get the picture. As i mentioned abbey road is my favourite beatles album, especially side B like you said. Many people don't get why we audiophiles spend tens of thousands of dollars on a stereo, but when it's like johnny cash is sitting 2 feet in front of you playing his most intimate songs it's really worth it. I've managed to convince a a few skeptics as well by inviting them over to listen to my stereo (or the one i used to have :/) and most of them have said they've never heard music being played quite like that on a stereo before, that is was a new experience for them, and several have come over bringing a favourite album of theirs to find out how it sounds on a good stereo. It's like you're in the room with the guys playing. every instrument is distinct and finds it's own space in the room, what we nerds like to call a holographic sound-image.

And @runnerlk, as you say it's not quite that crazy when compared to other things people spend a lot of money on. A friend of mine spent 500 000 $ on a boat and people didn't think that was strange. i can say for a fact that i spent a lot more time with my stereo than he ever did with his boat.

Though this may be a little more obscure i feel i'd be amiss not mentioning some of the greatest blues ever to be recorded:

Everything Son House every recorded for instance. Few Blues musicians played the blues with the same intensity as Son House, It's very rough and organic. There's something very special about seeing Son House ravaging his National Steel Guitar completely in his own musical world as you see the whites in his eyes. He's been covered by a lot of people like the white stripes and Bob Dylan for instance. He was also Muddy Waters Mentor.

Bukka White is if possible even rawer than House. When he showed up to record an album in the early 1940s the producer was unhappy that he only covered blues staples of the day and asked him to bring some of his own material. within the space of just one day Bukka went to his motel and wrote 14 songs, which to this day are only songs we have of him. You can find them all on a recording called the complete Bukka White. When B.B King was asked about Bukka White he said: "i never could play that slide like my uncle Bukka White."

Other than that Robert Johnson deserves a mention.

If anyone's interested i can get into folk music at a later time :)

Everything Son House every recorded for instance. Few Blues musicians played the blues with the same intensity as Son House, It's very rough and organic. There's something very special about seeing Son House ravaging his National Steel Guitar
First I've heard of Son House; huge thanks to you for the education.  There are several live videos of him from the 1960s of him, exactly as you said, absolutely tearing up that National steel guitar with his pickin' hand like a man possessed and sliding frets with his steel finger slide with absolute ferocity.  While perusing his catalogue, ran across this one of Son House with NO guitar; just Son House a cappella, singing about courage.  It's real, it's unforgettable and it's profoundly humbling.

Omg, @DippityDoo just watched Son House, and I heard the name before knew he was a blues legend, but never listened to his music. Oh my god, I had tears running down my face, the way he played with such soul and emotion and the lyrics shook me up I must say.

i won't quote the whole song although I listened to it three times now, but the part where he sang:

"You know I didn't even know I loved her til,they damn laid her down

lord have mercy on my wicked soul

i wouldn't mistreat you baby, for my weight in gold"

then it goes on to

"I love you baby, like I love myself

you don't have me, you don't have nobody else"

and

" you know it's hard to love someone that don't love you

aint no satisfaction, don't care what in the world you do"

these word hit me so freaking hard, it's like you put this up for me my dear lady!

"you know I cried last night and all the night before 

gotta change my way a livin, you see I don't have to cry no more"

"you know, loves a hard ol fall, make you do things you don't wanna do

love sometimes leaves you feeling sad and blue"

what a beautiful song, and it hit me hard! Like I could relate and everything he said I have felt exactly the same! Thanks so much for Death Letter Blues, and opening me up to a new genre of ? music! 

Next on to Grinnin in your face, I'm listening to right now, how true it is! I was talking to @Roger up in VIP section and she would love this song! Just not caring about what people think about you, how people talk behind your back and how a true friend is hard to find. Especially when you are in the dopefiend business, they will steal from you with a smile on their face! I am grateful to you for putting this up here, I had no clue how excellent the old blues classics were and still are. I hope they have this album on Apple Music if not I'm buying from google I know you can buy it there! Thanks again, that was awesome what a great way to start my day! I swear I love having you here on this board! Your pandas and music make me so happy!

Wow @Jellopanda I think that was far way beautiful but one of the saddest songs I have ever heard, I wasn't expecting him to push her into the deep waters at all, not expected, i thought it would be a love story it was so sad, but I'm glad at the end he had no one to pay his dole, bond! Another eye opener I love Joni Mitchell but have never really gotten into folk music. That was a really song, yet so sad! I think it's time I take my KISS generation army coat off and start opening up to new music. Seriously I don't have my jacket now but I did in the 7th grade! LMAO!

ps @runnerlk good seeing you again on the board I probably just missed you while moving, but it was nice to see you in here, it's all about the music!

It struck me while reading some of the replies here that i really liked them, and that i should communicate that in some way. And then i realized i have the like button!. I'm not on facebook or any other social media site where likes seems like a big thing, so if someone expected me to like something and they didn't get a like from me, that's probably because it didn't occur to me at the time o.O

There's a pretty good cover of both grinning in your face and death letter blues cover by the white stripes, if you like them, that links from the video dippitydoo posted.

@Jellopandayou've got to be kidding, I may be away for awhile I have o check it out. I love he Whie Stripes, got to see them when Seveb Nation Army was huge. Loved wactching he light show and watching little Meg get up in sing, she seemed so fragile and scared to me. Anyways, I have run out of likes, but I'm off to YouTube to find those covers. Thanks a bunch!

music now or 10 years ago? what do u all prefer.. btw im still deciding an album this is a big commitment ;)lool 

then music 10 years ago or 10 before that so basically 2000s vs  90s     an     90s vs 80s

what u lot got then back the album (just curious what kind of vibe we have here)

music now or 10 years ago? what do u all prefer.. btw im still deciding an album this is a big commitment ;)lool 

then music 10 years ago or 10 before that so basically 2000s vs  90s     an     90s vs 80s

what u lot got then back the album (just curious what kind of vibe we have here)
So basically what you're asking is whether you should choose an album from the 2000's, 90's or 80's?

I like music from 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30, 40, 50..... 80 ....200 ....400 years ago and everywhere in between. that's my vibe at least. But if you're restricted to 80's and later then i have to say i'm not a big fan of the 80's, tho there was still some good music back then as well.

suggestions:

80's: Let's Dance (David Bowie), Hunting High and Low (A-ha), Nebraska (Bruce Springsteen)

90's: Odelay (Beck), Music for the Jilted Generation (Prodigy), Rage Against the Machine (Rage Against the Machine)

2000's: 2001 (Dr. Dre), American III: Solitary Man (Johnny Cash. One of my favourite albums ever in fact) Modern Times (Bob Dylan)

There's tons on other albums i could mention, but since i'm too fond of discussing and sharing my taste in music for some people i decided to limit my suggestions to three albums per decade. I also decided to steer away from some of the more obscure music i listen to, like Tinariwen and Rin' for example

Feel i can't end the evening without posting another song here. Folk again.

Not religious, but that doesn't mean this song isn't great. It's like that question Richard Dawkins was asked by a journalist who was mystified about why Dawkins loves Bach's Mass in B Minor, when it's clearly religious. Dawkins almost didn't understand the question and said that because he wasn't religious didn't mean he couldn't experience a profound sensation of transcendence when subjected to incredible music. This isn't so much of transcendental thing, but it certainly rocks.

@JellopandaI didn't know folk could rock like that, it's awesome. Well bob Dylan is awesome too.always a classic, I think Like a Rolling Stone is my favorite all time song even though he isn't my favorite artist! So glad you are here to open my mind to different musical genres, and of course you too @DippityDoo I did recognize the song, then when she said True Blood I was like aha! I remember! That was awesome. You have a wide arrange of musical taste. This to Dr. Dre and Rage Against the Machine, who I love both!  Oh my god, I saw Prodigy at Lalapalooza they were awesome! You're list is spot on. I could add some of my faves too but it's truly impressive! Did anyone put Legend by Bob Marley on here yet. I swear I played that album in college over and over then when I was growing weed I would play it to my plants, and apparently they loved it too! My plants that I monster cropped and filmed looked like trees when the police seized them, and they were indicas! Thanks for sharing! That song did rock!

@JellopandaI didn't know folk could rock like that, it's awesome. Well bob Dylan is awesome too.always a classic, I think Like a Rolling Stone is my favorite all time song even though he isn't my favorite artist! So glad you are here to open my mind to different musical genres, and of course you too @DippityDoo I did recognize the song, then when she said True Blood I was like aha! I remember! That was awesome. You have a wide arrange of musical taste. This to Dr. Dre and Rage Against the Machine, who I love both!  Oh my god, I saw Prodigy at Lalapalooza they were awesome! You're list is spot on. I could add some of my faves too but it's truly impressive! Did anyone put Legend by Bob Marley on here yet. I swear I played that album in college over and over then when I was growing weed I would play it to my plants, and apparently they loved it too! My plants that I monster cropped and filmed looked like trees when the police seized them, and they were indicas! Thanks for sharing! That song did rock!
People are sometimes confused when i try to explain my taste in music. They expect me to name genres. I don't really have genres that i like, i may like them all. Saying that i like all kinds of music seems to make people think i only like billboard top 100 tho. I guess i can't give a better answer than i like music that excites me, i find original, has deep emotion or is really interesting to me.

Most of what Crooked Still has released is incredibly good btw, so if you like that one look into some of the other stuff.

Edit: and yeah Legend by Bob Marley is so aptly named as both the album and the man is a Legend

God that was good, she sounded like a cross between Ricky Lee Jones and Eddie Brickell, very unique voice and sound. @Jellopanda I'm loving your music! I didn't know this was  folk music. It's great music. Between you and @DippityDoo introducing me to Son House and Kathy Whitman, loved how she took the song from Robert Johnson, I heard his version too. But she made it completely her own. PS I had to look at google lyrics I didn't know that but I wanted to see the lyrics, they are awesome, but two entirely different versions. Thanks so much for sharing and opening me up to your music. Is this called folk music, because it sounded like the blues to me! A for absolutely loved it!

Drugbuyersguide Shoutbox
  1. robert1975 @ robert1975: @CnC5 as @xenxra mentioned, they are on the international list. Somehow they are still allowed to take orders from US subscribers.
  2. xenxra @ xenxra: @CnC5 theyre on the international list
  3. CnC5 @ CnC5: @robert1975 whats v10?
  4. xenxra @ xenxra: yeah that is pretty f'd, thanks for the heads up.
  5. robert1975 @ robert1975: Even worse, they know this yet continue to take orders from the US and will not give coin back. That's fucked up.
  6. robert1975 @ robert1975: If anyone has questions about V10.... they CANNOT get anything into the USA, regardless of what they tell you. I have proof if anyone needs it.
  7. porkandbeansboy @ porkandbeansboy: I think it's safe to say that we are all grateful for this place. Everyone here on these forums that is lol. :)
  8. FunkyFlirt911 @ FunkyFlirt911: DBG new Feature unlocked :D
  9. aenima1336 @ aenima1336: Either it's a bug or he paid a lot? 🤣
  10. xenxra @ xenxra: why is groot listed five times in a row on the banner at the top?
  11. C @ Careb3ar: Stay safe everyone!
  12. H @ hillbillie: thank you DBG for keeping me safe as can be in this market!
  13. K @ knofflebon: Hope yallz havin a decent weekend
  14. P @ player72: Oy vey that comments section on the pneu ork poast
  15. CnC5 @ CnC5: @knofflebon lmao damn thats crazy 🤪
  16. K @ knofflebon: Oof, kriss kross “tonight’s tha night” came on randomly. Feeling so old
  17. lucas007 @ lucas007: @knofflebon Lol, So funny,
  18. K @ knofflebon: Lol, as a famous singer once said, it’s like rain on your wedding day, or a free ride when you’ve already paid….
  19. xenxra @ xenxra: @knofflebon lol
  20. Gracie5 @ Gracie5: @knofflebon thanks for sharing! Holy buckets!
Back